Stapling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stapling

We just saw our Dr. today to discuss our future plans for surgery. We have been using the growth rods which have been successful, so of course we assumed fusion would be the next step. Instead, he suggested we go with stapling. My daughter started at a 75 degree curve when she was first seen 5 yrs. ago, now she is at 32.
    My question is for both the parents and kids, what are the pros and cons to stapling? And what have your doctor's given you for a long time prognosis?
    We'll be having surgery within the next month, he just has to order the staples (wow, they cost a lot).

Thanks,
    Emily

Hi Emily,

I see you are from Canada - are you saying there is someone there who is performing VBS? I wasn't aware of that. How old is your daugther? I honestly have never heard of staples used in this way either (following growth rods). That is NOT to say it isn't a good idea - I'm just surprised and always looking to learn more.

I would strongly suggest you contact the folks at Shriners in Philadelphia who came up with the stapling and where the vast majority of VBS surgeries have been performed. They are the utmost authorities on this and I would just run everything by them if I were you. See my signature for the contact information for Janet Cerrone, the Physician's Assisant to Dr. Betz, and who has been involved with VBS since its inception several years ago.

Please feel free to e-mail me as well.

Best of luck!
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

We're actually from California (I don't know what's showing Canada), we're seen at UCSF. The whole idea of going from growth rods to stapling is new, I guess we'd be the trial. I've tried reading up on it on the internet, but I get squimish even reading about the proceedure, so I do a lot better just chatting about.

Thanks,
      Emily

Comment

Hi Emily,

I guess I was rushing and saw "CA" thinking it said Canada :-)))

We recently put a list together of all docs who perform VBS (with the help of Janet and Dr. Betz and others) and we didn't have anyone from UCSF on there but I know more and more docs are learning the procedure every day.

In case I am confusing you, I should mention that myself and two other moms put together a website specifically for folks seeking info and support regarding stapling. It is:

www.vertebralstapling.com

Please feel free to check it out. You do not need a password to access the discussion forum. If your doctor wished to have his name added to the list on the site, please let me know and I'm happy to do it. Most docs were very willing to have us list them in orfer to get the word out to parents that they were performing the stapling. At one time, families pretty much had to travel to Philadelphia to have VBS, but now there are docs in many states who are performing it, and the list is growing every day.

I know that at Shriners they do use growth rods along with VBS sometimes (one surgery) when they feel the curve is too large (40's, 50's) to respond well to VBS alone. They are very mindful of these things and do not want to perform any surgeries that do not have a good chance of success.

Feel free to e-mail me if you like with any questions, etc. or ask them here or on the VBS site. The VBS site has dozens of parents whose children underwent VBS who are happy to help and answer any questions you may have.

Best of luck,
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
        X