No announcement yet.

Another question - anyone have an idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question - anyone have an idea?

I was surprised that my doctor only wanted to operate on my lumbar 76 degree curvature. He told me that there would be a 20 to 40% chance after the surgery that my upper back may lean forward and then he would operate on that part which has a compensatory curve of 40 degrees. If there is a chance of having another surgery later I think I'd rather have it all done there and then.

What do you all think?

Thanks again for all your responses to my other posts by the way. This is a great board and I thank God for finding you all and the great support on here.

Lynette.

Hi Lynette,
    Welcome to the forum. If there is a 20 to 40% chance that you would start to lean forward after the surgery, then there is a 60 -80% chance that you wouldn't. I don't think it is wise to have more surgery than is absolutely necessary because you would lose so much more mobility, plus, the more surgery, the greater the risks. I believe that many compensatory curves correct themselves after the main one has been stabilized. I sounds like your Dr. is suggesting the correct surgery for you. It probably would be wise for you to get a second opinion so that you could then feel more comfortable with your choice. Good luck. Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thank you for that - I understand now. I didn't realize that sometimes compensatory curves can correct themselves.

Comment

Working...
      X