PDA

View Full Version : Another question - anyone have an idea?

lynetteanne
07-15-2008, 07:14 AM
I was surprised that my doctor only wanted to operate on my lumbar 76 degree curvature. He told me that there would be a 20 to 40% chance after the surgery that my upper back may lean forward and then he would operate on that part which has a compensatory curve of 40 degrees. If there is a chance of having another surgery later I think I'd rather have it all done there and then.

What do you all think?

Thanks again for all your responses to my other posts by the way. This is a great board and I thank God for finding you all and the great support on here.

Lynette.

loves to skate
07-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi Lynette,
Welcome to the forum. If there is a 20 to 40% chance that you would start to lean forward after the surgery, then there is a 60 -80% chance that you wouldn't. I don't think it is wise to have more surgery than is absolutely necessary because you would lose so much more mobility, plus, the more surgery, the greater the risks. I believe that many compensatory curves correct themselves after the main one has been stabilized. I sounds like your Dr. is suggesting the correct surgery for you. It probably would be wise for you to get a second opinion so that you could then feel more comfortable with your choice. Good luck. Sally

lynetteanne
07-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Thank you for that - I understand now. I didn't realize that sometimes compensatory curves can correct themselves.