Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone. I’d like to introduce myself as I am new to this forum and have never belonged to a forum before. My mother actually discovered this site and after a lot of encouragement I finally decided to check it out. I have already found a ton of useful information here and feel lucky to find a group so supportive of each other

I was diagnosed with scoliosis during adolescence and never really had much problem with it that a few advil and a little nap didn’t relieve until one month before my 40th birthday when one morning I could not get out of bed (June 25,2007). My husband had to literally pick me up and put me on my feet and off to the ER we went. I was given a prescription for pain medication and a muscle relaxer, both of which I did not want. I was told an xray was not indicated as the ER Doc felt it was just a lumbar sprain and to follow up with my family doctor which I did that day. For a year now I have dealt with unbelievable pain (which only you guys can truly understand), I continued to try to work until this last April but lost two amazing jobs in this time. During that time I had had multiple steroid injections which would only relieve the pain for short periods of time.

July of 07 my thoracic curve was 30 degrees and progressed to a 57degree curve in April of 08.

Finally on June 11 I had my first surgery for spinal reconstruction. It consisted of Xlif extreme lateral interbody fusion L4-5 L5-S1 and partial discectomy at L3-4. It was a rather bad experience mainly due to the nursing care which I find very unfortunate and disturbing being a nurse myself. My pain was so poorly controlled during the first surgery I am so frightened facing the second surgery, which was scheduled for today but was postponed last night due to a UTI I developed during the first surgery with the foley cath. I’m on my second round of Levaquin but just can’t seem get rid of it.

My next surgery should be within the next two weeks. This one will consist of decompressing and rodding posteriorly from T9 toS1. Although I am very scared facing this next surgery I am also praying that it won’t be cancelled again. I have had three surgical cancellations now and after mentally trying to prepare myself for the surgery the cancellations are emotionally traumatic for me and my family.

I do feel very fortunate that my mother found this forum and look forward to getting to know all of you and becoming an active part of the group.

Yours truly,
    Lacey

Welcome Lacey

Hang in there girl. Sounds like you have had a really tough time. I have not had the surgery so I don't know what you are going through but you probably have the toughest part behind you now. I know the cancellations have been hard on y'all to but you are going to get through it. Maybe they should try a different antibiotic if the infection is resistant to the one you are getting. Looks like the doc's would know to do that. Since you are a nurse don't cut them any slack just because you are one. You deserve excellent care during this tough time. You know the tough parts of their job and on the other hand they should realize you need their help and support now. Keep us posted on your progress and try to keep a positive attitude.
    Good Luck,
    Prayers and Best Wishes,
    Chris

Comment

Hi Lacey! Just wanted to welcome you and let you know I'll be praying for you-- that you don't have any more cancellations-- and that your UTI gets cleared up quickly. That must be so frustrating to be all psyched up for the surgery and get it canceled...

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your first surgery, but hopefully the nursing staff will be more "with it" this next time. Did you say anything to your doctor about it? I know some others on the forum have written about ways to be proactive about making sure the whole pain control situation is will be addressed properly. So maybe they'll write and give you some suggestions.

Keep the good attitude-- this surgery will be over soon, and then you'll be on the road to recovery with all this behind you. THAT is something to look forward to!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Welcome, and I will be praying for you too, Lacey. The surgery cancellations and fear of inadequate pain control must be hell emotionally.

I don't know why your nurses are giving you a hard time about your pain meds. This next time, maybe if you told them that the Joint Commission (the main hospital accrediting agency) has listed adequate pain control as one of their national patient safety goals, and that you feel that they are falling short here, things will get better. I work as a hospital pharmacist and since you're a nurse, we both know that just the mention of JCAHO gives hospital staff the heebie-jeebies.

What's your urine culture growing? Ask to see that report! After all, it's your pee in their cup, for crying out loud.

Stay strong, and keep us informed as you can.

Hugs,
        Trish
        Last edited by trishthedish; 07-15-2008, 12:04 AM.
        Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
        Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
        Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
        www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey Lacey!

Welcome to the family! I'm new too, and the people on this forum are great! Lots of helpful advice, sympathy and... well... more advice.

I'm sure things go better for you in the next round. As Suzie said just keep up the good attitude and that does help out a lot.

Brad
          Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
          Still have 57 degree curve
          2 Harrington rods
          Luque method used
          Dr David Bradford
          Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
          Preop xray (with brace on)
          Postop xray

Comment

Good luck with your next surgery Lacey. I will be praying for you. I haen't had surgery yet, and I wonder about the UTI's because I'm prone to get them as it is.

I hope your infection clears up asap and your next surgery can happen soon.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Welcome, Lacey, to the scoli family! I will be praying for you also, that your next surgery proceed without any hiccups. In the meantime, lean on us for emotional support. There are so many people participating in this forum, so there is a WEALTH of experience to draw on here. As for the pain control in the hospital, I experienced the same problem with inattentive nurses. I was finally reminded that the pain meds were prescribed "as needed" so it was up to me to ask for them. And it took me a while to figure out that it could be as much as 45 mins after I asked until I actually received the pain med. It was VERY frustrating. The thing that gets me is why they prescribe "as needed" immediately after such a significant surgery.... I would encourage you to ask about 30 mins before the due time, and ask again at due time. Be persistant. Keep your spirits up. Soon you will be on the other side, healing, healing, healing.

Blessings,

Lisa
              Lisa, Portland, OR
              49 y.o.
              46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
              L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
              Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
              T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Comment

I asked to be awakened every 4 hours to get my pain meds before the pain got out of control, but the nurses most of the time didn't wake me, so by the time I got the meds, my pain level was not 10 - it was 30! And when they asked me what my pain level was, I should have said "10" every time!!

Wonder why the orders are for "as needed" - maybe this should be discussed with the surgeon beforehand and possibly s/he will order "every 4 hours" as opposed to "as needed"

My thoughts are with you.
                As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Chris

Chris,
                  Thanks for your reply, you were actually the first person to welcome me to the board!

I am on a broad spectrum, rather strong antibiotic that is very often used to treat UTIs. I did talk to the Doc about switching but he felt very strongly about giving the Levaquin another 10 days……..so 10 more days Levaquin has to clear this up!

Yes this last year has been tough but I have a very supportive family, although what they are experiencing is very different from what I am which makes a board like this so wonderful.

In your post it doesn’t mention whether you are facing surgery down the road ?????

Thanks again Chris and I will keep you all posted.

Comment

Susie*Bee

Susie* Bee,

Thanks for writing to me and welcoming me to the board.

Yes the cancellations are very frustrating, especially the last one: I was scheduled for this last Monday (yesterday), I was completely packed for the hospital and also for the rehab center I will be going to as soon as I’m discharged from the hospital, My Mother was already in the hotel room next to the hospital she had reserved when I got the call from the doc at about 6PM Sunday, that’s when I was told it was cancelled AGAIN and thats also when he ordered ativan for “my nerves”

The whole issue with the nursing staff is if nurses don’t know each other or work together they are typically not very nice to each other. I have no idea why that is but there have always been jokes about nurses being the worst patients and about older more experienced nurses eating their young (new grads and less experienced nurses)…..we were warned about that way back in nursing school.

Oh boy did I say something to the doc about it, his PA got a call on her cell phone from me at 6AM the first day post op when they closed my door and would not answer my call light. Next I called my Mother and she stayed with, sleeping in a chair for the remainder of the hospital stay. I’ll be going to a different hospital for the next surgery due to the fact the last hospital doesn’t have all the equipment needed and this time I'm sure my husband will not mention to anyone that I'm a nurse.

Thank you again for writing and for the good wishes, I hope to “talk” to you again soon. Hearing from you guys that have already been there and done it and have come out successfully is very reassuring.

Lacey

Comment

Hi Lacey,
                      Welcome to the boards! I hope the Levaquin takes care of your UTI quickly this time around and that you can have surgery ASAP. I wouldn't like having a 2 stage surgery too far apart b/c by the time you are going back into surgery you are finally crossing the hardest part of recovery from surgery #1.
                      RE: Nurses, (I'm sure you already know this, but just to re-iterate the point) every hospital has an ombudsman (sp?) who is there to be on the patients side to make sure the best treatment possible is given. If the nurses are ignoring your call lights and your pain is not adequately controlled then you should complain to the ombudsman and see if something can be done about it. I had issues with my nurses falling behind on pain meds and taking forever to answer a call light and another long time before they would bring the pain meds. The hospital had a patient rep that came around every day to see how you were doing and if anything needed to be changed. After complaining about the nursing staff for 2 days she filed a formal complaint and things got better really quickly.
                      I hope the staff at the new hospital will be better this time around. Good luck with your surgery and get well soon!

Comment

Trish

Trish,

Thanks for posting, I am beginning to feel very welcome here.

The whole pain control problem started on my way from the OR to recovery. My PCA pump had become disconnected from the IV line, I was crying I was in so much pain and everyone kept telling "just push the button when you need to". Knowing there was a basal rate set and probably a 6 to 10 minute lockout I was still pushing the button about every 30 seconds. It wasn’t until about 45 minutes to an hour later that I felt the sheets getting damp and looked over at the connection and saw what was happening. As I was trying to get someone’s attention (which was not easy since all the nurses heard me crying and complaining on how horribly bad it hurt for so long) I also pulled out my A line so there was blood everywhere, that got their attention. As you know the nurses have to record the amount received and the number of attempts as well as the rest of the info every fou hours. Well I probably hit the button 300 times the first hour and since the info on the pump is not cleared until after it is disconnected from the patient every nurse I had saw the ridiculous number of attempts. My husband had also mentioned to one of the recovery nurses that I was a nurse and the jokes started from there. As you probably already know working in a hospital and like I was telling Susie*Bee in the post above for some reason nurses aren’t very nice to each other unless they know each other or work together and even then there is often a lot of animosity between the different shifts.

I did ask the PA about the urine today (thanks for the suggestion) only a UA was ordered, no C&S. I know what your thinking….why wouldn’t they order the C&S after having two UTI’s so close together. I never saw the order, it was faxed to the lab. And it never occurred to me that a C&S would not be ordered. Next time and every time in the future faxed or not I will ask to see the order!

Well thanks again for posting, and thanks a lot for that suggestion, I definitely learned a lesson there! I will keep you guys up to date with what happens.

Lacey

Comment

Qikdraw

Brad,

Thanks for posting to me. You sure are right on how wonderful these people are, I’m amazed at the responses I’ve gotten already. And yes I’ve already gotten some very valuable advice! I am very thankful my Mother was able to talk me into joining. I will keep working on the attitude. I think just by being part of this group will help as attitudes can be contagious when you let them and with all the positive feedback I have received already I think I will catch the right attitude just in time for the second surgery!

I see that you just joined in July? I guess we can be the newbies together

Thanks again,
                          Lacey

Comment

Lacey, it's got to get better...that whole thing with the pca I totally get...I had a nurse who programmed the parameters into the pump and then didn't hit "run" or whatever and they kept telling me to push the button, too. And of course nothing happened. This was during my initial surgery in Midland, Texas, when the second shift nurse noticed that the pca syringe was still full after several hours of my crying and begging and button-pushing. I learned a lot just from the suffering and screwups during my first surgery, and it sounds as though you have, too. I hope the Levaquin finally kicks the UTI and your 2nd surgery and recovery go forward without a hitch. You will be in my prayers daily. Believe me...it's nice to be on the other side, finally recovering. Can't wait for you to be here too. =)
                            Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
                            Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
                            Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
                            www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Debbei

Debbe,

Thanks for the good wishes and for taking the time to post to me. This is the third UTI I’ve ever had and I'm about to turn 41. I did not have any of the typical symptoms for about a week after coming home then only had the hesitancy.

I would mention it to the doc before surgery, as I'm sure you already know they will want to know any type of possible infection both pre op and immediately post op. The OR nurses are usually very good at using sterile technique when inserting them what I found lacking at the hospital I was in is the daily foley cath care which involves washing the tubing and insertion area very well, that’s were a lot of foley related UTI’s start.

So you wore a brace for three years and were told it would not progress? When did you find out it was. That must have been so horrible! I saw your surgery is planned for October. How much time was there between finding out it was progressing and finding out surgery would be necessary?

I look forward to “talking” with you often,

Lacey

Comment

Working...
                              X