Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video- 1st Steps Post-surgery

Dear Scoli Friends,

Here the link to a six minute long video of my first steps, two days after surgery.

http://www.vimeo.com/1329869

My hair has that absolutely wild post-surgery look and I would NEVER post the link to the video in normal circumstances. Here is different. I figure it's got some value for you pre-surgery folks may want to get a sense of what it's really like if you are mature (in my case, 55 yrs. old) and facing scoliosis surgery.

For those who might have an interest but don't want to wade through six long minutes, it will be on my blog in a one-minute format soon.

Ginger
    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Ginger - I just viewed your video - I am so impressed as to how well you were able to get up and take those first steps at 2 days post-op!

Your hair looked fine - at least with fairly straight hair it appeared easy for your daughter to run a comb thru. I have curly hair and at time of surgery it was below my chin; morning of surgery I put it into 2 pigtails, held with Scrunchies, assuming that my hair would be relatively tangle-free when I awoke. Wrong!! Because I got pneumonia and was kept sedated for 6+ days post-op, when I finally came to, I removed the green "shower cap" and discovered that my hair was very matted and tangled, one Scrunchy was just resting on my hair, and there was a big rubber band around a wad of hair. So much for planning ahead!

If there is one thing I learned from this whole experience, it is that no matter how much you prepare beforehand, there could be things that you never planned for that bite you in the butt. But we do get through it all, don't we!
    As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

You are right on that one! I had no idea that I would bark at my kids while under the influence of drugs. THAT was something my family and I hadn't prepared for.
      Last edited by Ginger W.; 07-13-2008, 04:04 PM.
      Ginger Woolley

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger W.
        .... My hair has that absolutely wild post-surgery look and I would NEVER post the link to the video in normal circumstances. Here is different. I figure it's got some value for you pre-surgery folks may want to get a sense of what it's really like if you are mature (in my case, 55 yrs. old) and facing scoliosis surgery.
        Ginger,

Just a heads up ... be careful posting anything here you wouldn't want ripped off and plastered on the 'net ...

I recently learned this the hard way when my surgery photos ended up on a chiro's site who joined here simply to advertise (and used them as an example of what happens if you don't let him treat you ... grrrr). Imagine my surprise when I followed the link to his site and went "HEY ... that's me!".

Regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

That is awesome! And two days after surgery! Amazing.

Seeing that reminded me of my first steps and my matted hair, which was so bad they had to cut a birds nest out of it. lol.

I can tell your body hasn't gotten used to the idea of you being straight yet, but don't worry it will.

I'm still shocked that this was two days after surgery. Not in my day. lol Is this normal now? That you are up and walking so quick?

Brad
          Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
          Still have 57 degree curve
          2 Harrington rods
          Luque method used
          Dr David Bradford
          Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
          Preop xray (with brace on)
          Postop xray

Comment

Good for you, Ginger! Boy, did that bring back memories......
            Don't you just love it when they tell you to "scootch back" on the bed? AS IF !!!!

My physical therapist at HSS was a very cute young man who I flirted with shamelessly while under the influence of Dilaudid. I was a very cheap date on that stuff. He was probably going to start calling me Mrs. Robinson by the time I left the hospital.

Anyway, you did great.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Singer
              Don't you just love it when they tell you to "scootch back" on the bed? AS IF !!!!

My physical therapist at HSS was a very cute young man who I flirted with shamelessly while under the influence of Dilaudid. I was a very cheap date on that stuff. He was probably going to start calling me Mrs. Robinson by the time I left the hospital.

Anyway, you did great.
              LOL at "cheap date", Chris, and no kidding on the "scootch back"! And, yes, Ginger, you have done fantastically ... keep up the good work.

Originally posted by Qikdraw
              I can tell your body hasn't gotten used to the idea of you being straight yet, but don't worry it will.

I'm still shocked that this was two days after surgery. Not in my day. lol Is this normal now? That you are up and walking so quick?
              Brad, yes ... depending on your age and type of surgery, you might even be out of bed the morning after surgery.

Speaking of "not used to being straight", I had to laugh ... I literally couldn't walk a straight line for about 10-15 days post-op. Thank goodness no one was here to actually witness my goofiness in person - heh. I'd head from Point A towards Point B and kind of list to the right ...

Regards,
              Pam
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Ginger - your video sure brought back memories - those darling treaded socks and the gown that I was sure was open in all the wrong places. If that was your first time getting out of bed, you sure did great! I got dizzy the first few trys so they didn't make me continue at that time.

Chris - I remember you mentioned previously about the really cute PT. I don't recall too much about my PTs, except that I really would have made a fool of myself if I were trying to flirt (I know I wasn't) because whenever I started moving, I threw up

Pam - I'm not sure, but you may have a case against the chiro who is using your image in his ads. As I recall from my law school days, there is an intentional tort that deals with invasion of rights to privacy. The question is whether or not this forum is considered a public place. Also, did you place a copyright on the images? If so, I think this is a case of copyright infringement. Perhaps you could check with an attorney.
                As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Ginger,

You did great! It brought tears to my eyes just to remember being in the hospital and I was so out of it I don't remember it all, just bits and pieces. At two days post op they tried to get me to sit in a chair but I would not have it. I was still in ICU in a lot of pain. They finally brought a chair in that laid flat next to the bed, used sheets to move me on to it and a remote to put it in a sitting position. At that point I started to vomit badly and they changed me several times and got me laying down again. As for the hair I wish mine looked that good. I do remember everyone getting a good laugh out of mine.
                  Patty 51 years old
                  Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                  Posterior T3- L4
                  Pre surgery curves
                  T-53degrees
                  L-38degrees
                  and a severe side shift to the right.
                  Post surgery curves
                  Less than 10 degrees
                  Surgery April, 2006
                  C4 - C6

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
                    Brad, yes ... depending on your age and type of surgery, you might even be out of bed the morning after surgery.
                    That is amazing to me, I don't think I was out of bed for over a week after my surgery. I remember the first few times were just getting me to sit up and seeing how that felt.

Speaking of "not used to being straight", I had to laugh ... I literally couldn't walk a straight line for about 10-15 days post-op. Thank goodness no one was here to actually witness my goofiness in person - heh. I'd head from Point A towards Point B and kind of list to the right ...
                    LOL The drunken sailor routine? I did that too! I had a nurse on either side holding onto my arms and my mother said we looked like a pack of drunken sailors at the end of their leave.

I listed to the left though. heh

Brad
                    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                    Still have 57 degree curve
                    2 Harrington rods
                    Luque method used
                    Dr David Bradford
                    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                    Preop xray (with brace on)
                    Postop xray

Comment

Ginger,

You are amazing. I can't tell you how much I appreciate being able to see your walking video. Yes, I read your whole blog and saw the still photos, but to see you acting so normally and being able to take those steps so soon, it just really gives me inspiration and comfort.

Thanks again,
                      Last edited by debbei; 07-14-2008, 08:59 AM.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Great job Ginger! Now I know what I probably looked like
                        2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                        surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                        Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                        5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                        5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                        6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                        (left open with just clear dressing)
                        6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                        3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

I'm so pleased that people actually watched the video . . . in spite of my wild matted hair!

Truth be told, I walked straight by my second attempt. Much to the horror of my family members, I ditched the walker whenever I thought nobody was looking. After I left the hospital, I was using a cane for long walks only. I returned to Utah the following week and never used the cane again.

My doctor did warning me about feeling imbalanced after surgery. Somehow, that corrected itself early in the game and I could comfortably tackle the rocky trail leading up the canyon behind my house by week three.

I thought that meant I could hike for miles and miles. Not so. It's uphill and rocky and the grade is about 7%. On a good day, I can do a mile up and a mile back. Here I am at week seven, still learning patience.
                          Last edited by Ginger W.; 07-14-2008, 10:50 AM.
                          Ginger Woolley

Comment

If you are anything like the rest of us mere mortals, you will be learning patience for many weeks and months to come.

After watching your video I asked my husband when I first walked because I couldn't remember when I first took steps. I remember sitting up and dangling my feet for the first time -- less than 24 hours after surgery -- and how shockingly painful the anterior incision was. Apparently I stood up only on the 2nd and 3rd days and didn't walk until I got my brace on the 4th day.
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Fantastic

Ginger, I'm so happy for you and thank you for showing this! Brought tears to my eyes. All the best in your new life. LYNN
                              1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                              2000 Partial Rod Removal
                              2001 Right Scapular Resection
                              12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                              06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
                              X