I'm Home and finally done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Home and finally done!

Hey everyone I just wanted to say that I have made it home from my surgery. It was on June 30, and I stayed in the hospital for 8 days, mainly because of nausea and dealing with blood and pain issues. Everything really went as planned though and from what it looked like I have a really straight spine. I don't have a picture of the front xray but I have one of the side, i'll post it later. The only disaster was the first night after surgery my morphine pump got somehow shut off and my nurse didn't figure it out until the dr. saw me the next morning. to say the least it was hell but after that I have felt pretty good, just really really tired. I will post more later, I have sat for too long already...

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

I'm so glad to hear your home and that everything went ok! The pain must have been awful after your morphine shut off and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Did you have low hemoglobin?
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Yay, Abbie! Welcome back!!

Good to hear you're doing well, kiddo .
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

Good for you!! I'm glad everything went well (except for that morphine pump thing!) I'm looking forward to hearing more when you're able to post.

Take care, and rest up!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Welcome to the other side!

Yay Abbie! It was great to read your post! It sounds like, all things considered, you are doing quite well now that you are out of the hospital. Rest up for now-- but post again later when you are feeling up to it-- it's so good to hear of others' experiences! Lookin' forward to seeing those pics of that straight back! Gentle hugs, Susie
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congratulations on a successful surgery. I am so glad to hear everything went well for you. Hope to hear more from you as you start feeling better.
            Jamie Age 29
            Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
            2008 Curves - 39/63/44
            Surgery Date - 3/25/08
            T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Abbie,

So good to hear you are home! I had my surgery on 7/3, but in hospital five days, so I think we both came home the same day (7/7). Doesn't if feel wonderful to be home!!! I find I have one good day, one not so good day...and the pattern repeats. I think on the good days I do a little too much, so I'm trying to be more mindful of not overdoing. Yesterday, as I was setting down a plate, I hit a glass and it started to tip, so my natural response was to grab the glass....ouch.... I don't have a brace to help support my back. It really didn't feel very good, but I feel ok today. I will be praying for a steady, strong recovery for you. I totally understand the "I have sat long enough already". Me too for now. I look forward to following your progress. BTW, what was your fusion level?

Blessings,

Lisa
              Lisa, Portland, OR
              49 y.o.
              46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
              L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
              Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
              T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Comment

Ladare- my fusion as far as i know was from T3-L1, but I am missing a lumbar vertebrae so it is almost like i had it to L2.

Anyways, thanks for the responses. My main obstacle right now is trying to eat enough. I have no appetite whatsoever but we bought some ensure and I've been trying to drink that at least.

I have a question for anyone- right now we have a bed set up for me in our living room so that I can lay down downstairs during the day. The thing is, it still takes someone else to help me get comfortable and arrange pillows behind my back or straighten me out... stuff like that. I also have to call my mom like 3 times a night to come help me turn over because I get sore laying on my side or back for too long. My question is how am I supposed to transition being able to turn myself over and make myself comfortable? In about 5 weeks I am not going to be at home anymore and back at school in an apartment with a roommate that really doesn't understand what I had done. Any advice????

here is a link that might work of my before/after pics... i don't have my xrays yet, there's a whole album of pics there but i think you might have to take a sec and make a facebook account to see it, i will try and put them somewhere else when i feel up to it:
                before/after
                Last edited by amae28; 07-13-2008, 05:34 PM.
                aBbiE
                22 yr old F,KU college student
                Kyphoscoliosis...
                Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
                Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
                I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
                Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                all smiles!

Comment

Loved the pics, Abbie! Your new back looks SUPER!
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

By the time you get to school I think you'll be fine to turn over on your own. You still need to be careful in what you are doing, because your back is still healing. But overall I think you'll be up and around and doing most things you need to be doing.

Brad
                    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                    Still have 57 degree curve
                    2 Harrington rods
                    Luque method used
                    Dr David Bradford
                    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                    Preop xray (with brace on)
                    Postop xray

Comment

I agree with Brad. I was amazed at the differences between Week 2 and 3. Then, between Week 3 and 4. I think you won't have any problems with changing positions in the bed.

I'm a "mature" woman and needed a lot of help during the first two weeks, but things really tapered off. My god-daughter was living with me until the end of the 3rd week and then my daughter and her husband were planning to move it. Well, I assessed the situation and realized I didn't need them. For me, I made the right decision.
                      Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
                      May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
                      Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Little by little you'll be able to reposition easier. I still have some problems laying on my left side so I do that during the day when I rest so I can pay more attention to how I move. It all just takes time...good luck
                        2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                        surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                        Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                        5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                        5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                        6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                        (left open with just clear dressing)
                        6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                        3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Abbie, I do believe that you will be able to move quite well by the time you get to school. For now, as for shifting from back to either side in bed, I wear satin pj's, and have put a piece of satin fabric on top of my bottom bed sheet. You can grab the satin with your hands and really easily slide your body side to side. Well, at least I can with my fusion that starts at T10. Since yours is starts quite a bit higher, maybe this won't work for you, but you might want to give it a try. I only lay down in bed, and sit up in a chair. As for sitting in the chair, I leave the extra back pillows where I need them, and occasionally fluff them before I sit down. And I have two pillows on a table next to the chair that I can grab and reinforce my sides once I'm sitting. It took a while to figure out the routine, but it works. Again, we do have different fusions, so what works for me may not work for you, but maybe you can gleen some ideas from it. And I agree with other comments, each week will get better.

Take good care,

Lisa
                          Lisa, Portland, OR
                          49 y.o.
                          46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
                          L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
                          Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
                          T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Comment

Hi Abbie
                            So glad to hear you are home - good luck for your recovery. Fantastic pics by the way - thanks for sharing.
                            I'm looking forward to reading more of your recovery soon.
                            Take Care - glad you got the pillow routine sorted, from what I read, I better get stocked up!!!
                            Louisse
                            Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Abbie,

I really think you'll be a lot further along than you think by 5 weeks, and as others have said, that 3 week mark really is kind of magical ...

Even recovering solo, I found by 1-2 weeks home, things were getting MUCH easier.

Hang in there! BTW, your back looks fantastic, dah-link!

Regards,
                              Pam
                              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                              X