weight lifting with scheuermann's disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weight lifting with scheuermann's disease

hey. i have scheuermann's disease and kyphosis. with some degeneratinon of the discs in a few places. i get a lot of pain and muscle fatiguenes. i was diagnosed when i was 20. iv had it for 3 years now with no real improvement, after doing all kinds of treatments and exercises. what i was wondering can anybody tell me if it is ok to lift heavy weights at the gym. i currently work out 3-4 times a week at the gym pushing weights to my heaviest potential. i figure i may as well fix this on my own, seen as though no treatment has done much. im doing dead lifts and squats and heavy flat bench. along with other weights. im sure they are not good for my condition but its what i really want to do. will these worsen the degeneration? and what can i and cant i do at gym? please help. thanks

Originally posted by cal101
    ... im doing dead lifts and squats and heavy flat bench. along with other weights. im sure they are not good for my condition but its what i really want to do. will these worsen the degeneration? and what can i and cant i do at gym? ...
    Cal,

Dead lifts and traditional standing squats are probably among the worst things anyone can do to their discs (among numerous other parts of your body), much less someone who already *has* degenerating discs. I'm not sure how you think either is going to "fix" things, and yes, I think you can pretty much count on the way you're working out to worsen existing issues.

You wrote "im sure they are not good for my condition but its what i really want to do", so really, are you asking for someone to tell you something you already know, someone to tell you to stop doing something you don't plan to (even though you know it's not good), or what?

You'll have to elaborate because I really fail to see the question there ...

IF you're truly interested in a more back friendly workout, have a sports medicine physical therapist (or a personal trainer with a medical background) design a workout for you - and take you through it a few times to make sure you're executing the routine properly.

The path you're on now is certainly not good, but it sounds like you already know that.

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Cal,
      Listen to Pam. She knows what she is talking about. Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Cal,

There is no way "fix" your Kyphosis on your own. What treatments have you tried? What degree is your Kyphosis? Have you considered surgery if the degree is high enough? Are you currently under the care of an orthopedic doctor who specializes in Scoliosis and Kyphosis?

Hopefully when you share more information someone here can guide you in the right direction.

By the way, my daughter had surgery to correct her Scoliosis and Kyphosis over 3 years ago.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi Cal,
          Without more information, you should be able to lift weights on a bench in a reclining position. You should be able to ride a recumbent bicycle and you should be able to swim if your gym has a pool. You will not fix yourself, but you will be able to get some exercise which will make you feel better. Others may know of other things to do to get some exercise. Good luck. Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
          X