Flexibility after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexibility after surgery

My daughter is now 7 months post op and all restrictions were lifted after 6 months. She is slowly trying to get back in shape and is doing more and more each day. One thing I noticed is that the muscles in her legs are very tight and she is unable to stretch her arms out much past her knees. The pain that she feels when she stretches isn't in her back but in the backs of her legs. I think some consistent, mild stretching would help, along with regular yoga to help with her flexibility. She really wants to play volleyball in school this fall and I'm worried that her lack of flexibility in her legs may compromise her ability to play.

Did anyone else experience difficulty stretching to their toes after the surgery? I certainly don't expect her to ever be able to lay her head down on to her knees - but there must be some room for more stretching?

Any thoughts? I would like to start doing some Yoga with her at home and would like to purchase a beginner DVD that we could follow. Any suggestions on good DVDs?

Karen,

What levels did they fuse?

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

She is fused T4 to L4.

Comment

Patrick too can't reach much if any past his knees. I don't know how far he could reach before surgery and am not sure what time will do for his flexibility as he is already one year post op. He was fused less then your daughter T4 to L1. Sorry I have no answers for you, just wanted you to know that she's not the only one.
        mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
        diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
        also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
        fused T4 to L1

Comment

I don't know if this will help any or not-- there is a world of difference between recovery for these teens and for someone like me... but when I started leg and arm strengthening PT at 6 months post-op, one of the stretches I did was for hamstrings-- and it sounds like hers may be tight. She could see if that helps any. Lying on her back (I do it on my firm bed) have her stationary leg comfortably bent at the knee, with foot flat on the bed. With the other leg, use either a theraband or a hand towel or something to hold onto, and put it behind her knee. Bring that leg up as straight as possible (may not be very straight) and hold it-- starting with 10 seconds, but increasing with time to at least 30 seconds. Try to straighten it more during the stretch. It pulls more/stretches more if your foot is flexed too, not just relaxed or with toes pointed. If the tightness is more through her hip/buttocks/back of thigh, then she would need to do a pyriformis stretch. I could try to describe that too if you want...

Actually, my best suggestion is to see if her doctor would prescribe some physical therapy to strengthen her extremities and then her core. That is what really helped me. You could just make a phone call to see. Being an adult, and having a conservative surgeon, I was able to work on arm and leg strength at 6 months and then core at 11 months. My physical therapist never had me do anything that would put strain on my spine. My word of caution to you is to be careful of what you're doing on your own. Since she is fused to L4, she will not be flexible in the way she used to be. The rods prevent that. To gain more flexibility in her spine would be to compromise the fusion. But I am sure she can get in really good shape too- and hopefully play volleyball this year- but it may take some work.

I have also seen people post about a good book for post-op exercising-- I think it's called Pilates for Fragile Backs. You can probably do a search and read about it.

Best wishes on your continued scoli journey.
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Karen,

Although my fusion only goes to L1, I do understand how quickly the hamstrings tighten without stretching in the short-term post-op period.

It's early July: If your daughter really works at stretching her hams, she should be able to become sufficiently limber to play volleyball by Fall. You have a valid concern in letting her play without being any more limber than she currently is; in her current state (especially with the quick, push-off movements executed in volleyball) she'd be a prime candidate for a hamstring pull/tear - and possible injury to other muscles affected by tight hams.

The good news is she's only been (from what I understand you to say) working at this (sort of?) for a month. The most important thing is that she stretch slowly and consistenly *every* day ... no bouncing pulls. A properly executed sitting hamstring stretch should be performed with the toes flexed upward - it provides a LOT of extra stretch without any extra effort from the body. Also, the stretch should be performed as if you're trying to place your chest on the knees (NOT hunched over), she might surprise you by how flexible she CAN become with daily practice.

Whether she plays volleyball or not, she *does* need to get these muscles limber again: One of the larger contributors to lower back pain is tight hamstrings. With her lumbar area fused to L4, she's going to need to make a lifelong commitment to stay as limber as possible below the fusion.

At her age, I don't see any reason why (especially if she was limber in that area before) she shouldn't be able to regain it.

Although I haven't seen it personally, lots of people here have given glowing reviews to the "Pilates for Fragile Backs" DVD.

Scoliboymom, Patrick REALLY needs to work on his flexibility if he can't reach past his knees. No (or little) reach below the knees is *unusually* tight (even for a male).

I am also fused from T4-L1, am barely 5 months post-op, will turn 40 this month, and I am almost back to where I *can* lay my chest on my knees. It does take work, but like I mentioned above, the lumbar area is VERY affected by tightness in the hamstrings - and will often cause lumbar pain.

These are big muscles, and you can't force flexibility overnight. It is, however, extremely important that both kids start a program to become more limber and have the best shot at avoiding problems later.

Best regards,
            Pam
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
            X