Finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally!

I am just finally moving around the house, I have been taking care of the kiddos on my own for over a week now and I am LOVING IT! It has been YEARS since I've been pain free and I keep telling dh FINALLY!

I am 7 weeks post-op and it amazes me how much I can really handle now, I am tired of the brace, but at least I can get out of the house. Plus next week dh and I are taking the kiddos to the only zoo near us, about two hours away, and I am excited to do something with the kiddos! Especially since you can feed the giraffes there! It will be a first that I can actually walk around with my kiddos and do something in over a year. Although I know I will get tired I am just feeling happy that FINALLY my kids are getting the momma they deserve.

Just wanted to share my happiness! and open up a thread for us to share in the FINALLY moments or other happy moments we are getting to share thanks to our new bodies!

Meg
    My One Crooked Momma blog
    Fused T1-L1 May 21st 2008
    From 51* to STRAIGHT! Thanks Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor

Good for you, Meg! Sounds like you are doing great at seven weeks post-op! Keep up the good work - it sounds like you have a great attitude as well which I'm sure will go a long way in helping the recovery process along.

Enjoy being able to do all those things with your family now!
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Thank you!
      Its simply amazing to me that I have been corrected to a curve that is virtually non existent!

preop 51 degrees
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...AGE33-6-08.jpg

post op Look ma! no curve!!!
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1ita/Spine.jpg
      Last edited by mmw; 07-08-2008, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Meg ... just curious ...

Were pre-op/post-op taken the same way? For some reason it looks like pre-op is standing, and post-op is supine? Am I interpreting it incorrectly?

Regardless, the main thing is you FEEL good. There's nothing better!

Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Wow your new xray is incredible! I am so happy and encouraged to hear that you feel so good at 7 weeks. Have a great time at the zoo.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Yay for happiness!

Meg-- I'm so happy you are starting to "get your life back" and feeling so much better! You don't sound like the same person from just a few short weeks ago! That is wonderful that you are able to do things with your kiddies now. I hope your zoo outing is great and that what you are able to do will will encourage you on your recovery journey. As you said, I imagine you will be pretty tuckered out by the time you get home, but also pretty proud of yourself.

Keep up the good work-- and let us know how the zoo trip goes!

PS--nice idea to start a "finally" thread for others to post their victories in too!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

The second photo is my ct scan and I was laying down. You have a good eye

Comment

Awsome!

That is so wonderful that you are feeling so much better. It is such a great feeling when you finally get to feeling better and you can go back to spending time with your kids again.
                Jamie Age 29
                Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

FINALLY!
                  I can take a shower standing up, this one was finally attempted a few days ago but I had supervision ...but today I tried it solo...dh will be disappointed.

Comment

shower stuff...

Atta girl! I, too, can shower standing up now, but cannot get the shower seat out of the tub and my old shower head back. DH has grown fond of them-a few days ago, I pulled the shower curtain back and he was sitting in MY shower chair with MY pedicure file and MY foot cream (gifts of MY friends after surgery), just going to town and scrubbing away on his heels. He said that we'd have bought this whole scolliosis shower set up much sooner if he'd known it was so great! So now I have a bunch of crap in my shower I don't need and will probably never get rid of. God bless him ( I suppose) =)
                    Last edited by trishthedish; 07-09-2008, 02:26 PM.
                    Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
                    Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
                    Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
                    www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Trish--

I love it! That is the funniest thing I've read in ages. You can tell your hubby that he made my day... I even read it to mine. My shower chair is safely packed away for some other time... but will share with you that my DH has enjoyed the benefits of the chair I scoot up to the oven--works great to get you down to the right level and all. He said once "why didn't we ever think of this before?"

mmw-- that's great that you managed a standing up shower. Congrats!
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                      X