Booksacks After surgery ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booksacks After surgery ??

Hey all! HAve nto been around in a while! I have been running crazy! lol!!!! Hope everyone is doing well. SKyler is doing GREAT!!!!!!!
    I have a ? though! How long after surgery before they can carry a booksack on their back???? She is mortified about using a rolling backpack........They are not allowed in our school system except for special circumstances..lol!!! Her next dr's appt is the day before school starts! AGH!!!!

Hi! It's great to hear from you and that everything is going fine! My suggestion would be to give her surgeon's office a call and ask. That would be playing it safe. If they say "no"-- then maybe she could still qualify for having two sets of books so she wouldn't have to take any home... she could just get a couple books out of her locker at a time or something. According to "proper body mechanics," the correct way to carry something with a little weight to it is to draw it in close to your tummy... that puts the least pressure on your back.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Jamie didn't start carrying a backpack until she was about 8 months post-op. Her surgery was in December and she was very limited on how much she was allowed to carry those first six months post-op. When the new school year started, which was High School, she had one set of books like everyone else and hasn't had any problem with carrying her bookbag.

My daughter refused to use a bookbag with wheels. For the first several months, she simply carried her stuff in her arms. Since we had a set of books at home and a book in every classroom it meant that Jamie was only carrying her notebooks.

Good luck!

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
      X