Pregnancy at 3 months post op?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy at 3 months post op?

I am really freaked out right now. My doctor told me it would be ok to have sex after 2 months, if I felt ok and I could handle it, which I could. I have been on birth control but I am a week late and I just took a test and it is positive. I will call me doctor first thing Monday but if I am really pregnant, can my back handle this?
    Jamie Age 29
    Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
    2008 Curves - 39/63/44
    Surgery Date - 3/25/08
    T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Wow! I don't think I really have an answer for that one. The best thing to do is to start calling your doctors first thing monday. Check to make sure the test was correct and go from there. If you're healing ok, everything might be fine, just bed rest. Let us know what happens.
    Emily

Comment

Jamie-- try not to panic, even though I know that's easier said than done. If you ARE pregnant, they will surely come up with a plan. I'd be willing to bet you aren't the first person who's had this problem

If you are pregnant for sure-- then that is exciting in such a big way. I know the timing is not right--you are not ready for this right now, but you'll be able to work through it. Babies are a real blessing. You'll just need to focus on the positives and work through the challenges. There is always a way, even though you may need to make some adjustments. Find strength through the Lord.

In the meantime, take some deep breaths and know that there will be a way to get through this. Let us know what happens and how you are feeling about it all. This will be an especially important time to "air your emotions"-- Hang in there-- and big hugs, Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Jamie. You might want to do a search on the forum. I thought I remember reading another post from someone who got pregnant soon after surgery. I would not panic. I think it's smart to contact your doctors etc. and they can guide you as needed. Also you may want to take another test or make sure the pregnancy is confirmed with your ob/gyn. Sometimes the pregnancy hormone can be present very early on, but then the pregnancy never really is viable and you could get a negative reading at a later date.
        Please keep us posted. It could be a very exciting and wonderful time for you!
        Heather
        Heather
        Surgery date: April 20, 2004
        Anterior/posterior surgery
        Fused T-11 to L-5
        Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
        Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
        Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
        Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

I'm 6 months post op, and right now, if I was 3 months pregnant, I think I would be ok. It's the last trimester that would be the problem, so you've got 6 months of recovery ahead to prepare for it. If it's meant to happen, then it will be ok.
          1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
          Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

I went to my OBGYN today and he confirmed that I am 6 weeks pregnant. My due date is March 5th. My surgeon is supposed to call me today but my OBGYN and the surgeon's assistant both think everything will be fine. They both said that by the time I really start carrying around more weight and getting big, I will be close to my healing point, which my surgeon said would be around 8 months post op. I have had one child with my scoliosis and I know that I will be able to do it again. It is a little scary but I will just have to take it easy. I have a 5 year old girl so now we are hoping for a boy!!
            Jamie Age 29

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
            2008 Curves - 39/63/44
            Surgery Date - 3/25/08
            T4 - L1

Comment

Congratulations!

Jamie-- that is very exciting news, even though sooooo unexpected and unplanned. I feel sure that it will work out well in the long run-- you may just have some extra challenges and limitations that you'll need to work through. Keep us posted on things! Babies are such a blessing!
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thats great!

Congrats!
                26 year old female
                wore a brace in junior high
                fusion of T4-L4 at 15 years old
                broken hardware at 23 due to failed fusion
                November 10, 2008 hardware removal and fusion of L3-L4

Comment

Great news!
                  You are young so your fusion healing time should fit well with the last trimester. Listen to your body as well as to the docs' advice; I'm sure you'll do fine.

Please keep us posted.

Janet
                  As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Congratulations! Here's hoping for a boy for you!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Congratulations! Take care of your body and everything will be fine. Best wishes to you and your family. Can't wait to hear about the updates.

Best,
                      Anya
                      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for all your support. I will keep everyone posted as I get updates.
                        Jamie Age 29

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                        2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                        Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                        T4 - L1

Comment

Great news! And just so you know, you can still get an epideral.
                          Emily

Comment

I did get an epidural with my first child but it didn't work out so well because of my scoliosis and I did not have a very recent x-ray but this time I am going to make sure I am more prepared for the epidural so it doesn't happen again. My doctor's office is going to let me have the last x-ray I took so they can get a good placement of the epidural.
                            Jamie Age 29

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                            2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                            Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                            T4 - L1

Comment

Working...
                            X