Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladare's Surgery Report

Hello All,
    I'm Ladare's husband Mike here to share with everyone the results of Lisa's Surgery today. I will do my best to provide daily updates until she is ready to respond personally.

It was a bit of a hectic start, but we made it to OHSU on time for Lisa’s back surgery. The pre-op paperwork, briefings, and first IV seemed to go like clockwork. The actual operation took five hours, but overall from start to finish (post recovery) it was 10 hours. The surgeon Dr. Yoo told me the surgery went very well with no complications. The only deviation to the procedure was a small de-rotation, but I’m not sure how much. Dr. Yoo also widened two nerve channels, one on each side, to relieve pressure on the nerve root. Lisa told me later that the Doctor’s may have her use a fabric back brace for a short time due to the length of the fusion and the possible interaction with a hyperactive German Shepherd . I guess we’ll see about that!

For Lisa, the worse part was the transfer from the operating room, to the room she is staying for the next four nights. They had to rotate her and transfer her from bed to gurney to bed. With each move her pain level jumped significantly, yet settled quickly. She’s hooked up to a pain medication regulator that meters a dose of morphine each time she presses a button.

Lisa didn’t have any nausea from the anesthesia. However after tasting some jell-o and taking a few sips from a strong cranberry drink, she did get a little nauseous. She probably wasn’t ready for Hospital food yet.

Tomorrow morning on July 4th, Lisa will have her first PT and get up and take a few steps. I think it will be fairly short and she will go back to resting.

Any responses you write will be printed out and given directly to Lisa as soon as possible. She would love to hear from you. She is also staying in room 10A462 at the main OHSU Hospital in Portland OR.

I’ll try to provide daily updates on Lisa’s progress. Thank you for all your prayers and support, it really means a lot to Lisa and me.

Thanks,
    Lisa’s Hubby – Mike
    Lisa, Portland, OR
    49 y.o.
    46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
    L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
    Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
    T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Wtg!

God bless you, Lisa. I am 2 months out and can't believe the changes already. It is so nice to look normal and to be just "sore" rather than in pain. We are rooting for you!

Thanks, Hubby, for the update
    Posterior fusion T5-L1 May 5, 2003-age 43
    Posterior revision, thoracotomy,fusion T2-L2 April 8, 2008-age 49
    Fusion extension C1-L2 evacuation left pulmonary effusion May 9, 2008, age 49
    www.buggfamily.blogspot.com

Comment

Lisa!!! Congratulations on being "on the other side" now!!

Use that pain pump honey, it'll be your best friend for a few days...lol.

Enjoy light, happy tv shows while in the hospital.... I think laughing and even hearing the audience laughing is theraputic.

Get Mike to rub lotion on your legs and feet. Use your spirometer... It hurts at first, but you'll soon be able to do it like a pro & it really really helps!

Don't be surprised if the paintings in your room seem to become animated... it's the meds... I remember 'seeing' some of our goats from home climbing the trees in the paintings in my room...lol.

Rest and sleep allllllllllllll you want to... will probably be one of the rare times in your life that you will have everyone's permission to do so.

Sending gentle hugs and prayers your way for a easy and speedy recovery!
      JoAnn

Comment

That's great news!

Mike-- thanks so much for the very informative update! We'll look forward to hearing all about how Lisa's doing from you, until she's able to take over again. You are so good for doing this!

Lisa-- it sounds like it went smoothly and you are now safely on the "other side" of the surgery! That is so exciting! Early recovery is hard work, but it does get better-- so keep that in mind. I am thinking you'll remember this 4th of July for a long time-- taking your first baby steps as the new, straighter and taller you.

You'll continue to be in my thoughts and prayers-- and Mike too, as this recovery stuff will be hard work for him as well. Rest up and let the healing begin! Hugs (gentle ones), Susie
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Lisa,

It was very encouraging reading your husband's update on your surgery, you will be in my prayers to feel stronger and stronger every day!
          Dolores A
          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Hi Lisa,
            I am so happy for you now that your surgery is over. The early recovery will be difficult, but I know you can do it, and it will be worth it all. You and Mike will be in my thoughts and prayers in the coming days. Love and gentle hugs.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Lisa, get lots of rest and hang in there....it gets a lot better. Congratulations on your successful surgery.
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Mike
                Thanks so much for posting an update. Please give my best wishes to Lisa - I am so glad it all went well for you. Sending you positive healing vibes from the UK. Louisse
                Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Working...
                X