PDA

View Full Version : Book recomendations

trcylynn
06-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Can anyone recommend any books to further my understanding not only of scoliosis but also of the back? I want to learn more about the vertabre and all the muscles in the back and how all of them work/etc. I also want to learn more about the different methods of treatment. I recently purchased the Scroth book and am waiting for that to arrive in the mail. I see many books about scoliosis listed on amazon but I'm worried those will be too general- I want to learn more about the specifics- maybe even things they teach the orthopedic surgeons/etc. about the back and condition.

Thanks!

Susie*Bee
07-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Trcylynn- If I were you I'd start out with some basic books rather than tackling textbooks, especially since textbooks get really pricey! :eek: You can always move on to more detail after you get some basics under your belt.

As far as general knowledge about the back, it might be best to browse a bookstore in the human biology/ anatomy section. I think they would/should have some books and then you could see them and pick what will serve you best.

For scoliosis books-- I think it depends on the age of the scoli patient as for what would work best for you. Since I was looking at scoli from an adult perspective, there were two that were highly recommended to me by my doctor-- I purchased both and you can read a little about them in a post I already did: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showpost.php?p=60239&postcount=12 (Sorry, I am getting lazier each time I write about them!) :rolleyes:

There's also a link on that post that then has many internet links that are very educational. I believe it is Linda Racine's compilation-- lots of footwork already done, all accessible in one spot. Thanks, Linda! Just wish I'd know about it before I spent so long with my own searches!!! :o Of course, I also wish I'd know about the forum before my surgery!

I would imagine that your own doctor might provide some helpful sources. I wouldn't have received the list of scoli books that I did if I had not asked mine for more information...

Good luck with your search for more knowledge! :) Susie

Jacque's Mom
07-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I just sent you a PM. Thanks Lynn

Alistair
07-11-2015, 03:21 AM
How about a decent book for exercises for scoliosis? I have the Schroth book but it's a terrible read, I was more interested in books that show exercises better, I read about scoli-pilates but after watching some videos I don't think it's worth buying. Anyone got definite benefits from reading a book about exercises on scoliosis? Just typing "scoliosis" in books on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=scoliosis&sprefix=scoliosis%2Cstripbooks%2C314, which one of these books would you recommend and why?