Book recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book recomendations

Can anyone recommend any books to further my understanding not only of scoliosis but also of the back? I want to learn more about the vertabre and all the muscles in the back and how all of them work/etc. I also want to learn more about the different methods of treatment. I recently purchased the Scroth book and am waiting for that to arrive in the mail. I see many books about scoliosis listed on amazon but I'm worried those will be too general- I want to learn more about the specifics- maybe even things they teach the orthopedic surgeons/etc. about the back and condition.

Thanks!

Trcylynn- If I were you I'd start out with some basic books rather than tackling textbooks, especially since textbooks get really pricey! You can always move on to more detail after you get some basics under your belt.

As far as general knowledge about the back, it might be best to browse a bookstore in the human biology/ anatomy section. I think they would/should have some books and then you could see them and pick what will serve you best.

For scoliosis books-- I think it depends on the age of the scoli patient as for what would work best for you. Since I was looking at scoli from an adult perspective, there were two that were highly recommended to me by my doctor-- I purchased both and you can read a little about them in a post I already did: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showp...9&postcount=12 (Sorry, I am getting lazier each time I write about them!)

There's also a link on that post that then has many internet links that are very educational. I believe it is Linda Racine's compilation-- lots of footwork already done, all accessible in one spot. Thanks, Linda! Just wish I'd know about it before I spent so long with my own searches!!! Of course, I also wish I'd know about the forum before my surgery!

I would imagine that your own doctor might provide some helpful sources. I wouldn't have received the list of scoli books that I did if I had not asked mine for more information...

Good luck with your search for more knowledge! Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Susie Bee

I just sent you a PM. Thanks Lynn
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

How about a decent book for exercises for scoliosis? I have the Schroth book but it's a terrible read, I was more interested in books that show exercises better, I read about scoli-pilates but after watching some videos I don't think it's worth buying. Anyone got definite benefits from reading a book about exercises on scoliosis? Just typing "scoliosis" in books on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ripbooks%2C314, which one of these books would you recommend and why?

Comment

Working...
        X