1 year post!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 year post!

Hey Everyone! I am exactly 1 year post surgery today and I thought I'd check out the forum (which I spent many many hours on) and see how people are doing. My surgery went super well and today I have very little to show for it (except the super long scar and a little less flexibility). I feel great!

I know coming out of surgery is awful, and you sometimes feel like you'll never get better but just keep up with your PT and walk A LOT and you'll be fine! I am SO SO SO happy I got the surgery done. I am straighter (+ 1.25" in height) and I feel so much better. I am actually starting to train for a 1/2 marathon, too!

Anyway, keep up walking and POSITIVE thinking and you'll do great!! I don't regret my surgery for one day.

Take care,

Sonia
    Sonia
    58*
    Surgery 6/29/07
    T3-L4

Way to go, Sonia!

Congratulations, Sonia, on making your one year milestone! It sounds like you are doing super! I know there are so many fresh out of surgery or still making it through their first year that will benefit from your encouraging post. Best wishes with your 1/2 marathon training!!! Keep up the hard work!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

A half-marathon! That's fantastic!!! Thank you for your words of encouragement - I'm going under the knife in 4 days...but I am remaining very optimistic, and I think it is in large part due to the wonderful people on this forum. Let us know when you have run the 1/2 marathon!
      Lisa
      Lisa, Portland, OR
      49 y.o.
      46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
      L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
      Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
      T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Comment

Hi Sonia
        It was great to read your positive post - thanks for sharing. For those of us still to have our surgery this is just the post we want to log on and read about on our ''doubful days'' that I am sure you will agree we all have.
        Look forward to hearing all about your half marathon - are you running or walking it? All the best Louisse
        Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Congrats! 1 year is such a big deal and I hope you celebrate a lot!
          Best,
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow!! You are an inspiration, and I am happy things worked out so well for you. Good luck with your training!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
            X