Large torso?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large torso?

My torso is quite long in proportion to my legs. A couple of physiotherapists I've gone to have actually been quite surprised at how much they had to lower the seat on the stationary bike for me (I'm 5'3" and a half - the half makes a big difference when you're short - and they've told me my legs are more the length of someone who is 5'0"). I also find that petite pants (for those 5'3" and under) are sometimes still too long for me.

The odd thing is, if I'm remembering this correctly, two of my vertebrae were removed when I had my surgery for scoliosis when I was 14. I remember they told me I gained an inch or two because the curve was unbent, but I would have gained more had they not had to remove the vertebrae. So what I'm thinking is, if I didn't have scolioisis, or the surgery to fix it, my torso would have been really out of proportion with my legs.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this oddly long torso - maybe there's some sort of connection between long torsos and scoliosis?
    - 39 years old
    - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
    - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
    - Harrington rod
    - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
    - New mommy as of February 2011
    - Second child - September 2013
    - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Sorry, but it doesn't hold true with me. I always had a relatively short torso compared to my longer legs... Then with the scoli progressing, my torso go even shorter.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
    X