PDA

View Full Version : Fever anyone?

skoshi314
06-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Ok, this is beginning to get old. I was having trouble initially with a fever but it was determined it was being caused by the lining of my lungs needing more exercise. I don't know how many of you had to use a spirometer post op but I did. You emply your lungs as much as you possibly can and then slowly suck air in through a tube to inflate your lungs as much as possible. This registers the air volume in the lungs. It has something to do with exercising the lining to prevent pneumonia. You all are probably familiar with this exercise but thought I'd explain just in case. I quit using it too soon and started running a fever but took care of it by beginning the process again. I'm now almost 3 weeks post op and find myself running a fever of almost 101* again. My temperature normally runs a little low. GRRRRRRRRRRR! I just can't imagine it's that again. Can anyone shed any light on the situation? My husband thinks it's because I overdid it yesterday but I don't think so. I felt really great this morning and like s&*# tonight.

Help?

briarrose
06-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Could it be something else such as a urinary tract infection? I had a fever of 100 degrees due to a UTI after my surgery. I was also told it's normal to have a low grade fever after a surgery as your body is working overtime, but 101 is kind of high. Do you have any pneumonia symptoms or possibly a sinus infection? How does your incision look? Is it warm to the touch? Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Shell

skoshi314
06-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Sweetheart, you ARE a help simply by responding! I'm not ruling anything out so any and all ideas are welcome.

As far as I know I don't have any pneumonia symptoms. I've never had it so I'm not sure I'd know. My scar looks wonderful! I really don't think it's a UTI since I'm drinking about a gallon of water a day. No exageration. I used to be a Diet Cokeaholic, now it's unusual if I have one a day. Water is all I want.

I don't have any sinus symptoms but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I think I'll go back to making myself lightheaded on the spirometer and see if that helps. If it's not better by Monday, I'll call the doc.

I'm still open to anything so keep the ideas rollin' in!

txmarinemom
06-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Becky, pester your doctor to find out what's going on ... I don't think you should be running fever (particularly 101) from "overdoing it". You need to find out what's causing it, and it could be something completely unrelated to surgery.

And, yeah. I used the inspirometer post-op ... and even longer than I was told to when my ribs hurt, and to increase my lung capacity for the 5K: It's a great way to combat lung/rib discomfort - AND HEAL - so don't be lax about it, Missy :)!!

(I still actually pull mine out occasionally at almost 5 mo's post-op)

Regards,
Pam

Pooka1
06-28-2008, 09:23 PM
In the hospital, the nurse told my daughter that she can bring down any mild fever just by using the spirometer. And as far as I can tell, it worked.

That said, I think there must be some limit on when you should be running a fever due to the surgery alone.

I think you need to rule out some other reason, especially if you can't bring the fever down by breathing.

Good luck.

skoshi314
06-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Becky, pester your doctor to find out what's going on ... I don't think you should be running fever (particularly 101) from "overdoing it". You need to find out what's causing it, and it could be something completely unrelated to surgery.

And, yeah. I used the inspirometer post-op ... and even longer than I was told to when my ribs hurt, and to increase my lung capacity for the 5K: It's a great way to combat lung/rib discomfort - AND HEAL - so don't be lax about it, Missy :)!!

Yes, ma'am! And I agree on the rib discomfort. I really didn't believe it would help but it does. I'll be very diligent with it this weekend but if I show even a sign of a fever Monday, I'm calling the doc.

By the way, Pam, I was hoping you'd come up with the proper name for the little device. The meds still have my brain a little foggy. Alright, a lot foggy!

Thank you too, Pooka1. I agree. I think something else is going on and it needs to be checked into.

Thanks all! You're the greatest!

Susie*Bee
06-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Becky-- I was gone yesterday... but yes, I agree you need to contact your doctor. Maybe even call him today if your fever is still high... I know that my initial release papers said to call if a fever went over 101, and those instructions were for the first 3 weeks after surgery, until my 1st appointment. It's always better to be safe than sorry, and something's causing the fever. I don't see any way that overdoing it could be the culprit...

Let us know how you are getting along and what the doctor says. :) Susie

txmarinemom
06-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Becky, you haven't said ... are you taking anything (i.e., pain meds) that contains a fever reducing drug? I got to thinking how likely it is you are (so soon after surgery) and wondering "Is it 101 ON meds?!?". If so, I'm really concerned.

I think Susie's suggestion to contact your doctor is prudent. Ask if he'll meet you at the ER, and if not, at least go ahead and have bloodwork done so you're ahead of the game this week when you can get in to see him ...

As I said before, it may be *completely* unrelated to surgery, but the last thing you need right now is to get sick (I can't recall now who the poor person was here that got the flu after surgery, but I just remember thinking "UGH!").

Take care of yourself, girlie ...

Hugs,
Pam

skoshi314
06-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks, ladies, you're the best! The thing is it isn't all the time and that's part of what confuses me. It tends to come and go. Pam, I'm on Oxycontin, OxyIR which is Oxycodone Immediate Release and Soma. I don't think any of those have any fever reducing properties. I'm also taking Keflex which is an antibiotic. I seem to be fine this morning so I think I'll wait until later today and see if it comes up again. I just keep thinking how much I don't want an infection in the hardware. I know it's extremely rare, but still........

I'll let you know how it's going. I just don't have the words to tell you all how much it means to me that you care. You are the greatest group of people anywhere! Thanks!

skoshi314
06-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Yea, I am feeling pretty good this morning, but that kind of seems to be the pattern. Yesterday, for instance, I woke up feeling really good. I even got the bills caught up, so filing done and some other little jobs done, nothing tough I promise. About 7pm I felt the fever start up. Sure enough when I took it there it was. I used the inspirometer hoping that would take care of it but it didn't. I finally took some Motrin and that helped to a certain degree but I just felt achy all evening. Then I got up this morning ready to start in again.

Pam, in my opinion, you aren't nagging. You simply care enough to ask the questions and for that I'm so grateful. You are all such a caring group. I know I keep saying it and maybe I'm feeling a little sappy this morning, but I just appreciate you all so much.

sccrm08
06-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Becky,

Please check with your surgeon, I was not allowed to take Motrin until 8 or 9 months post op, it will keep the bones from fusing in some.

skoshi314
06-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Oh, wow, I hadn't even thought of that! Thank you so much for the advice and yes, I'll check with them first thing tomorrow.

ladare
06-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Hi Becky, I've been following your recovery, but haven't had much time to post since I only had three weeks notice for my surgery date, which is coming up this Thursday, 7/3. I'm having the save levels fused as you. I've been very, very busy getting everything in order... I would be concerned about an intermitent fever - to me it seems like your immune system is really trying to fight something off, and does so effectively for a while, but every so often it is overloaded, and hence the fever starts in again. I once contracted Viral Meningitis only because my immune system was working overtime because I was working in a medical clinic in a sugar cane field in the Dominican Republic, where the water we had to wash our hands with was bacteria laden... We all get exposed to the VM virus, but it only gets through when the immune system is overloaded. Kind of a long explanation/example, but I would be very careful to document what you do every day, and each time the fever starts, and how long it lasts, to try and give the docs something concrete to start with. I hope this will all be resolved for you very soon. Take extra good care of yourself! You don't need any extra complications at this time! Blessings, Lisa

suzyjay
06-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Becky

If your fever returns or your pains increases go to your surgeon and ask for a blood test to check for an infection.

Sue

Sharshe
07-01-2008, 05:56 PM
PLEASE PLEASE check with your surgeon! I don't want to scare you but my low grade fever skyrocketed to 104 and I had a staph infection. I will be fighting this a while after having been opened up again and cleaned out. NOT fun! Better safe then sorry.
Good luck, maybe it won't be anything serious.

skoshi314
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Thank you everyone for your concern and suggestions and encouragement. I did speak to the surgeon and he said there's no reason to be concerned unless it reaches 101.5. The fever continues but I've noticed they are a bit lower and don't last as long as they did. In fact, Monday night I didn't run one at all. I've been up doing way too much trying to do some things around the house and maybe I've just gotten rundown and have a little bug. The doc is out of town until Monday and Rusty and I are going to our little place at the lake for the weekend so I'm hopeful that a weekend of doing absolutely nothing but sitting in the airconditioning watching TV, reading and sleeping or sitting on the dock watching all the morons-in-boats (normally we're one of the morons but we won't be this time) and enjoy a cool breeze will be helpful. I truly believe it's nothing and will be gone soon.

Again, thank you all for your responses. You are the most compassionate and caring group of people I've ever had the privledge of knowing (sappy, sorry)!