Is anyone else's incision curved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone else's incision curved?

I see photos on here and everyone's incisions/scars look straight down the middle of the back. Mine crves in the thoracic area. My husband and friend say of course it does because they had to get at your spine which curved. I thought they would go straight down the middle and pull eveything to center. And as I said, all the pictres I see on here look like the incisions are straight.
    Jan Lotherington,
    56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
    A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
    at age 55
    Dr Bridwell

Originally posted by JanL
    I see photos on here and everyone's incisions/scars look straight down the middle of the back. Mine crves in the thoracic area. My husband and friend say of course it does because they had to get at your spine which curved. I thought they would go straight down the middle and pull eveything to center. And as I said, all the pictres I see on here look like the incisions are straight.
    Jan, they do go down the center from what I know ... and I'm dubious about the "to get at your curved spine" theory ...

I don't know if you've seen my surgical photos (I was going to add them back in to my sig, alas the user Control Panel here is still all jacked up), but they don't "get" at your spine. They make an initial incision, and pretty much clamp you open 5-6" or so. There's no explanation for having to be so precise they'd need to cut a curved incision to match your spine.

Here's a link to one pic from my posterior surgery to illustrate what I'm saying - VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK.

(It's considered graphic by some, but I do have the entire surgery photographed for anyone who *does* want to see more. Just shoot me a PM or email for the link to where it's stored ...).

It's possible your cut was just unintentionally "off-center" to start, or maybe residual correction (you know you can continue to improve after surgery, right?) has pulled the scar more to one side. Who knows.

Out of curiousity, what was your short-term post-op correction vs. now?

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Mine is curved. I don't know why. It just IS!
      Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
      May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
      Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Mine is just slightly curved at the top then pretty straight.

I had a rib hump on the side where the slight curve or my scar is leaning toward so maybe that had something to do with it...

T10-L4 2/22/06

Comment

Pam,

My curves were about 65 thoracic and 60 lumbar. I was told that I got about 50% correction but no definite numbers. My xrays from 6 weeks post op look the same as 6 months post op.

Re the curved incision - I wanted to ask my doc - "hey, did somebody sneeze?"
          Jan Lotherington,
          56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
          A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
          at age 55
          Dr Bridwell

Comment

Originally posted by JanL
            Re the curved incision - I wanted to ask my doc - "hey, did somebody sneeze?"
            Thanks, Jan ... I laughed out loud! (the dog's still looking at me funny)

For some strange reason, it also reminded me of a knee surgery I had where the ortho had planned to do incisions (marked with ink and everything) and then decided to scope after I was knocked out. Rather than *remove* the ink first, he just punched right through it, and I now have pseudo tattoos ... doh!

I wanted to ask him "what were you thinking, dude!?".

How's your scar healing, anyway? I bet before long no one will even be able to see it to *notice* it's curved. I know I don't have to tell you how minor it is in the larger picture, but isn't it funny how we all seem to wonder about our little quirks from surgery?

Take care,
            Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
              For some strange reason, it also reminded me of a knee surgery I had where the ortho had planned to do incisions (marked with ink and everything) and then decided to scope after I was knocked out. Rather than *remove* the ink first, he just punched right through it, and I now have pseudo tattoos ... doh!
              Take care,
              Pam
              OMG! That reminded me of something that happened before surgery that I had forgotten! There I was, laying half naked in pre-op with 6 people discussing my surgical procedure and all I could think was "Would somebody just give me something to knock me out cause I'm tired of waiting!" A nurse told the surgeon he needed to mark my back in some fashion to verify something. It was some new regulation that nobody really understood. So he got a pen from the nurse and autographed my back. Can you imagine if that were permanently tattooed on my back?!?!?!?

Also that morning, there were some hefty thunderstorms in the area and the lights kept flickering in pre-op. When the doc got there I asked him what happens if the hospital actually lost electricity in the middle of the surgery. He responded that he had a Maglight flashlight and some cordless power tools in his truck they could bring in. Seriously? Everybody else seemed to think that was hilarious but for some reason, I wasn't amused. It's a little funny now.

Jan, your sneeze comment made me laugh. Thank you! I really needed a good laugh! Please don't worry about the curve. It just means your scar is incredibly unique and special, just like you!
              Becky, 46 years old
              Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
              Ignored until 448/07
              Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
              Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
              Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
              Fused T-10 to L-5
              14 titanium pedicle screws
              Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
              Email

Comment

LMAO, Becky ... I don't even *remember* getting knocked out for this surgery, but I know the audience you described from other ones I've had.

You want to ask "Are you sure there isn't someone else you could grab out of the hall to come observe me in this fetching position and this lovely party hat?".

After seeing the tools they used (in my surgery photos), your doctor probably could have pulled it off with the toolbox in his car - LOL!

And you don't ~sound~ feverish ... are you feeling better today? (I know I'm a nag, but you still need to make them find the cause - and you know I wouldn't nag if I didn't care )

(sorry for the brief hijack, Jan ... back on topic to your unique scar!)

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Sorry Jan!

Pam, I'll post on the fever thread.
                  Becky, 46 years old
                  Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                  Ignored until 448/07
                  Left thoracic 49* T5-T11