PDA

View Full Version : Wanting your photos...

Susie*Bee
06-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Hey all! It's me, the sappy dork, with a plea for pictures... I've been working on my scoli scrapbook (it's the old-fashioned "in hand" kind, not some digital computer jobby) and realized it would REALLY be incomplete without a page or two dedicated to the forum, for me to look back on when I am old and gray. Oh, that's right-- I am already old and gray! (Nice dye job, though, so I don't really look that half of it!) ;)

I can always just write some of your forum names on the page, but it would be much nicer to have faces and/or x-rays-- whatever works for you. If you are interested in helping me with this somewhat silly endeavor, let me know and I'll send you my email or snail mail address.

I wouldn't ask, except so many of you mean so very much to me. My hubby just asked me the other day how I was going to survive when I go back to work and don't have time for the forum... he thought maybe my absence would make some of you wonder what had happened... I hope it works out to just cut back, and not disappear entirely! You mean too much to not visit from time to time! I have about 6 weeks left to continue being the busy body that I am! :rolleyes: So don't expect a reprieve for a little while still. Love you guys! :) Susie

Susie*Bee
06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Thought I'd better explain, since I think I didn't say this very clearly (Who, Me???? :eek: )

To ME this isn't a silly endeavor, even if it might seem so to some of you... the forum bunch (and hence, YOU) have been a major part of my life ever since I joined in October. I've kind of put my heart and soul into it, whether that is wise or not, and you are all so much an important part of my scoli journey-- so I need to include you in my memories for "later on" in my life. :D You know, when the ol' brain cells don't conjure up good memories without visual aids... :rolleyes:

I also truly hope to stay as active as I can, with time and energy constraints taken into account, for quite awhile to come. :o

Thank you, those of you who have PMd or emailed me a photo either since I posted this or in the past. May my great-great-grandchildren look at your pics/x-rays, funny names-- and realize what a special group this scoli family has been to me! You are terrific!

dolores a
06-27-2008, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=Susie*Bee]Hey all! It's me, the sappy dork

Hey Susie, hope you stay around for a good while, a lot of us will be needy of your encouragement in the days, months and year to come!

Sounds like a good idea the scrapbook, if I can figure it out I will try.

myachingback
06-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Anyone wanting a pic of me is lookin to hang it in the garden! Just kiddin. Hey, it isn't silly, to each her/his own. My daughter made her mom a scrapbook and she loved it, I thought it was nice to. She put a lot of work in it as it was decorated in I guess the latest style. I certainly won't need one to remember cause I'd forget where I stowed it!
Adious,
Chris

skoshi314
06-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi Susie Bee!
I'd be honored to be added to your scrapbook. As soon as I figure out how to add pics to my computer (I'll make that my goal for the weekend!) I'll get it to you. Thank you for caring enough to ask!

Susie*Bee
06-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Dolores-- I will definitely be around-- probably just not as much as before. :rolleyes:

myachingback-- don't worry-- I've already got some pics of you to pick from-- want the one of you with the wild hog or the humongous cat??? Or maybe the one of you and Cathy "dressed to the nines"? ;) I hope one of those will be ok with you!

Becky-- I am the one who feels honored! There's always snailmail if you can't figure out sending pics on the computer. Just let me know. :)

Thanks so much! :D

Ginger W.
06-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Hey Susie,

There are LOTS of photos on my blog site. A nice one will be going up TONIGHT. You can do a "save image as" if you right click on the photos.

http://gingerinrecovery.blogspot.com/

Love, Ginger from Utah :)

trishthedish
07-14-2008, 08:59 PM
If you want to do a right click and save as on any of the scoli pics on my blog you certainly have my permission and I would be honored =)

Susie*Bee
07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Ginger and Trish-- thanks so much! I am going to love having pics of you (and several others who have given me theirs) in my scrapbook! ANYONE else who wants to be in it, please let me know. The more, the merrier-- or at least more memories for me! :D

Qikdraw
07-15-2008, 11:21 AM
If you'd like you can use my xrays that are linked in my sig. They ain't pretty, but you can use em if you'd like.

I'm still tryin gto get my mother to send me a 'before' pic. The problem is thats 25 years ago, so its a little hard to find. lol

Brad

Susie*Bee
07-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks again. You have no idea how nice it is to be able to associate a face with a name! Wish I'd done this a long time ago. Of course, there are still many missing faces, so if you are holding out-- there's still plenty of room in my scrapbook. :rolleyes: I know one of the younger girls (Rosie?) said something about being able to "picture" people-- way last winter-- and posted a pic of herself. Anyway, it IS nice to visualize you forum friends! :)

But alas, (for all of us!) I started thinking how I was being pretty one-sided. My pics aren't very good, but I just added some anyway to my signature. Got a couple classy hospital shots in there since I've enjoyed some others' so much. Classic dress and hair, etc. :eek: Take care! Susie

trishthedish
07-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Awwwright! Nice to "see" you, Susie. Boy, you looked better than I did. This is great, to put faces with names.

Janet
07-16-2008, 08:27 PM
SUSIE - you looked great at 3 months. Will you post some more recent photos?

As soon as I can figure out how to upload photos, I will. My son didn't take any pix while I was hospitalized, but I have a few when I was back home after my 2nd surgery.

These photos of hospital beds, tubes, equipment, etc. sure bring back memories - just when I had begun to blot them out!! But I am glad that they are posted so I can see what I probably looked like.

debbei
07-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Susie,

It's so nice to see you! You look wonderful in your 3 month picture. I'll look around for a picture of me; problem is, I hate all my photo's. Sigh...

And I don't have any of my xrays on the computer, only physical copies.

Susie*Bee
07-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Trish, Janet, Debbe-- you are all so sweet! ;) But yes, it is fun to put faces with names... I'm with you though, Debbe, in wishing my pics were better! The trouble with pics is that they freeze you so the true way you look doesn't come through with some of us. Right??? :rolleyes: It's missing the nuances of who we really are through our movements, winks of the eye, ever-changing smile, etc. I've never been able to get the right look in a photo! (OK, guys, this is really rationalizing, I know, but it's also built on truth -- somehow!) ;)

Trish, I do have a REALLY bad hospital pic, but didn't stick it in. Maybe someday... but that might scare some folks off! :eek: It's always good for a laugh when I look at it though. :D

Janet--yes, seeing others blog pics/video clips of their hospital stays seems to flood me with emotions too-- but also helps to build that sense of camaraderie -- we've all been through the same (or similar) war experience... long surgeries, hooked up to all kinds of monitors, tubes, etc., feeling lousy (and lookin' it too-- but not caring anyway!), beginning steps, etc. No fun at all. :( And we survived it all! It gets me to laughing when I think how long I probably went (I'm talking more than a couple days...) before one of the nurses said I really should try to brush my teeth. :eek: Horrors! But I didn't care. They probably didn't even suggest it till I started eating and drinking-- and that was Day 5. Oh well! I try not to think of that! I'd love to see some pics of you too! And can you send me one for the scrapbook? Pam had given me directions for doing pics in my signature, just before her surgery... they are pretty thorough and walk you through it. Unfortunately-- I am a ditz and it took me just about all day to upload the pics yesterday and get them into my signature. :rolleyes: I would add my email address there too, but... I am already to the limit of the number of characters you can have there -- and don't want to eliminate anything else. I had to yesterday already, in order to add the link for the pics.

I'm due for a hair color job next week (and she's been on vacation, so it's really "past due") but I'll try to have a recent pic taken then... I did gain (unfortunately!!!) a little more weight over the holidays last winter, which I have tried, UNSUCCESSFULLY, to take off. (I got soooo excited about being home (= having the time) -- and all my kids were coming home, so I baked and baked and baked...) Never a good thing for me, as I gain weight easily, and who can say no altogether from freshly baked Christmas cookies, etc. I've invented two of my own cookie recipes, and of course, you have to try them out too-- and take another taste just to make sure... :rolleyes: So I gave up baking in January and started dieting. I'm hoping the extra activity when I start back to work will help me. :o We'll see...

Debbe-- I don't have digital x-rays either-- my x-ray pics are just that-- pics I took of my x-rays, at the doctor's office. But I know Del (Aussiemom) just hung her daughter's up in a window and took pics that way. Of course, you could see a house across the street through them, but they were perfectly ok to see the x-ray itself too. Just not top notch quality...

So-- anyone wanting to send a pic to the cause (my scrapbook)-- just say so here or in a PM and I'll send you my email or snail mail address. Thanks again! Susie

Jenlw
07-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Susie,

It's so great to "see" you! You are so sweet and helpful and I have been wondering what you look like!

I have been giving some thought to how I can get some digital prints of my xrays and get a hold of some pics from back in the day from my mom. 10 years ago we weren't quite digital yet with our pictures ;)

Here is a most recent picture of me...I'm a little sweaty...getting my dancing out while I still can ;)

http://picasaweb.google.com/jennifer.wilken/Public/photo#5223977173743225842

Susie*Bee
07-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Jen-- I love the pic! What a smile!!! :D You are gorgeous and you look like you're having a blast! Enjoy your time! Can you scan older photos? And see what I suggested to Debbe in the last post about getting x-ray pics if you don't have digital ones. It is kind of fun to have them to look at, even if they aren't like the digital, really nice ones.

Talk about sweaty-- I added a couple more pics-- one so you can sort of see where I walk weather permitting (treadmill if not) and the other (since Janet asked for a recent one!) was taken just a month ago-- and fits with the scoli theme for sure... ;) Me and my PT "bud" (he's my therapist, of course)-- taken at my last session. I miss him, but at least I have his pic! :( And yep, you guessed it, it's for my scrapbook of course!

Jenlw
07-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Thank you Susie!!

I have my xrays, so I have thought about taping them to the window, but the window needs a little cleaning first :) I will try to make that my weekend project.

What a pretty walking space you have!!

txmarinemom
07-17-2008, 09:17 AM
... Debbe-- I don't have digital x-rays either-- my x-ray pics are just that-- pics I took of my x-rays, at the doctor's office. But I know Del (Aussiemom) just hung her daughter's up in a window and took pics that way. Of course, you could see a house across the street through them, but they were perfectly ok to see the x-ray itself too. Just not top notch quality ...

Before Qikdraw actually joined the list, he'd emailed me and I suggested a way to photograph standard films that seemed to work okay for him ... here it is:

Cover a window (large enough to accommodate the x-ray) with a layer of wax paper (taped with sides meeting ... you'll need to dull extraneous outside objects)
Disable camera flash and any interfering inside light
Tape the film over the wax paper photograph
Crop the edges if necessary.

Worth a shot!

Jenlw
07-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks txmarinemom!!

txmarinemom
07-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Laff ... and bonus, Jenlw ... no need to clean the window! Heh ...

Qikdraw
07-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah that worked out pretty well. Just taping it to the window it doesn't come out as nice. You can see teh results on the photos I took in my sig. They came out pretty decent, about as good as they will come out without being digital that is.

Pam is one smart cookie! :D

Brad

Jenlw
07-17-2008, 02:49 PM
They did turn out nicely AND I don't have to wash the window hehe

Thanks tons and tons!! :D

Jenlw
07-21-2008, 06:29 PM
SUSIE!!!

I didn't have wax paper, but I think they turned out well. I am so excited to have them digitally!! I have written captions under each of them, then are in order.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jennifer.wilken/Scoli

Susie*Bee
07-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Jen! They did turn out super! That's exciting! Thanks! :D

Diane BCSW
07-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Susie, I'll get something to you right after the 3rd of August. We're to have some formal photos made and I'll send you one. I've also got a couple of photos taken of my back right after the first surgery, that might be interesting. I mentioned to the group that I was having problems last week with lower back pain and with a pain that went down my right leg. I saw the doctor on Thurs and he sent me to another part of Baylor Hospital (downtown Dallas) and I had a bone scan. It was truly very uncomfortable but wouldn't have been if it hadn't been for the leg pain. I still haven't heard from the doctor as to the results. I still have the bad lower back pain in the mornings, most certainly necessitating a hydrocodone, but the leg pain has almost gone away (I should have waited another few days). This really pisses me off that the doctor can't give me the courtesy of calling me or having someone else call me. The last thing I asked him was about continuing the water exercises and he said to wait on the results of the test.

It was interesting seeing the photos of different ones. I need to get to bed, so didn't have time to really *look*. I was impressed with Ginger's blog. Very imaginative.

Take care everyone.

Susie*Bee
07-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Everyone-- thanks sooooo much! I am getting really excited about the "forum family & friends" with lots of my scoli bros and sisses being part of the scrapbook. So far all I've done is get together lots of pics on my computer, but I have the "vision" for it all, and it will be GREAT! :D For any who want to still send me pics-- I'm hoping for a regular type pic of you (could be doing something you enjoy) and hopefully before and after x-rays if you have them, and/or back shots. And anything else. Then I'll have your forum moniker and other name if you sign it that way, and info about curves and surgeries... or whatever. And PLEASE don't think you need to look good in pics! We are all unique with our own special appearance, and I will enjoy seeing the real you above all, including all our outward "challenges" that society may deem less than perfect, but which make us whom we are. As someone once phrased it "God don't make no junk!" You are perfectly "you" just the way you are. (And hardly anyone will ever see my scrapbook, too!) ;)

I guess I'll stick my email address here so you can easily send them without PMing me for it: Email me (jbergens@home.ffni.com) (Or if you just want to email me to "talk"!)

Those of you that are part of this "scoli family"-- but are parents rather than scolis, please don't think you can't be part of this scrapbook too. I'd like your pics as well-- and then I'll just put "Mom to..... with info." Is there anyone out there that can email MATJESNIC and ask her to join in? I miss her!

Diane-- I'm looking forward to that photo! Wow-- a formal photo! :cool: I'm pretty much a snapshot person-- I think the only formal ones we've had are wedding pics!) :rolleyes: So that sounds so nice! I'm sorry about your doctor not getting back to you yet-- it sounds like it's time for the squeaky wheel to get going; time for you to call him instead and remind him you are waiting to hear... I think sometimes they just don't realize we are on tenterhooks waiting to hear results. Or, in your case too, waiting to resume your water exercises. The only positive thing I can think of regarding his failure to let you know, is that often that means it was nothing big-- and hopefully that's the case. I'm glad your leg pain has decreased-- do you think there could be a correlation with that and halting the exercises? Yes, Ginger's blog is REALLY entertaining. :D I asked her where she gets all those cool pics (like all the rolls of toilet paper!) but she must not want to disclose her source. ;)

Well, I'm off to go do my "big shopping" today-- 2 weeks' worth of groceries, etc. I am hoping to get a bunch of these pics made into actual hard copies while I'm out... I told hubby I have about 50 pics to have prints made of... Keep 'em coming! This is great! And THANKS again! You guys are so good! :) Susie

Ginger W.
07-22-2008, 02:27 PM
I love the fact that us post-surgery folks have these most amazing and unique "insides". I can, however, walk down the street and people can pass by, having NO IDEA that they've just had an encounter with a rare specimen, like a one-of-a-kind butterfly. I also love the fact that I can choose to share my very special secret by simply pulling out a photo. It's fun to see how people readjust their perceptions with this new reality.

Actually, last night I wrote a little piece about this subject on my blog. Oh! That reminds me . . . thank you Diane for your compliment about my blog. I received so much help from other people's blogs and I hope that I can also support those who are on the front end, preparing for surgery.

debbei
07-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Ginger,

Your blog is fabulous. I enjoy reading it very much, and look forward to any new entries. I loved the latest on your PT and your 'uniqueness'.

By the way, you look incredible and by looking at your pics, I'd never know how 'special' your insides were!!