One week to go, pre-op was yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One week to go, pre-op was yesterday

Well, I'm on the final countdown. One week from now, at this time, I will be in recovery, probably nauseated as all get out since generals have always done that to me. My doc said I would feel like I'd been run over by a Mac truck for a few days. So I told him I might not like him for a few days... But he said even if I don't like him he will come visit anyway. Feeling a little tightness in the chest, just a little anxiety. I have received positive feedback from my PT, the anesthesiologist, and my surgeon regarding being in very good health for surgery. That is very comforting to hear. Because my curve is not very noticable, and because three of my vertibra are maximally rotated and full of bone spurs, my doc is not going to derotate them. He said there would be too much risk of nerve damage. I knew that already but thought I'd share that to see who else has the same situation. What I did learn that was new, is that because he is not derotating, he will not straighten either, because he would have to derotate to straighten. So I will be fused with my curve (heck, it's been with me for 30+ years, I would miss it if it were gone...not...), and he will have to bend the rods to match my curve. I guess there is a special tool for bending rods. I won't be any taller, but I'm already 5'7", so that's ok. And, given that I have kind of short arms, if my torso got longer my "toileting" challenges would be even further away...aaccckkk!!! That's why I asked about the whole toileting challenge last month. My doc is expecting no ICU and four nights in the hospital. And he will not have me wear a brace unless he finds my bones to be less than optimal. My hubby and I are getting away this weekend, to a Marshall Tucker Band concert Saturday night, outdoors at a vineyard (and the weather should be in the 90's!), and then over to the coast for the night, and then meander our way up the coast to home on Sunday. That is the sum total of our vacation this summer...but next summer we WILL go backpacking!!! Time to go return the $128 shower chair since we found one on Craig's list for $9... Blessings to all! I love this forum!
    Lisa, Portland, OR
    49 y.o.
    46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
    L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
    Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
    T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Lisa-- all I can say is, you've got style! I love your attitude and I think your mini-vacation sounds like a super way to spend the time between now and your big date with the surgeon.

I hope you post some pictures in a year of you on that backpacking trip.

BTW-- I loved your description of the toileting challenge-- "aaccckkk" and all!

The chest tightness/anxiety is always provided, free of charge of course, for any who embark on this adventure. Try not to fight the emotions too much-- they'll piggyback their way in regardless. You'll do great-- and I'll be thinking of you and praying for a successful surgery and recovery. Hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Lisa,

You have such a fantastic attitude. I can only hope I will be that way. Your little vacation sounds great. We saw Marshall Tucker last December, and it was really fun. You will love it, I am sure, as we are right in the same age group.

I can't wait to hear how well you are doing after it's over.

Good luck!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

You're going to do great with that attitude, Lisa ... and attitude is the largest step to recovery, IMHO ...

The last few pre-op days bring weird emotions, but you *can* bash them back with positivity. I believe you have it in you ;-).

I'd like to think you've started recovery before surgery ... keep your head juuuuuust where it is.

Regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Lisa, sorry I was confused I guess because I was responding to you in my thread first -- then I read yours, did not realize it was one week. Even so, you sound very strong, even with the anxiety. It's great that you are taking the w/e to yourselves, enjoy the concert, sounds like perfect weather for one! I will also be thinking of you as the week goes by.
          Dolores A
          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Lisa,
            I am still and will continue to pray for you for a successful surgery. My fusion is not a correction either and it seems to be working well for me. I am relatively pain free except for some residual nerve pain which gabapentin seems to take care of nicely, so I sleep like a baby at night. I am also 5'7" with arms meant for a 5'9" person and yes, it helps with many things including the toileting thing. Take care and enjoy your weekend.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

BTW, Lisa ...

I hated/loved my surgeon the first few weeks, and I woke up every day wondering "*WHAT the ~&$%^~ have I DONE to myself?!?!* ... did I REALLY hurt that badly???".

(I did.)

Do I regret it?

The beating I felt I'd received in the ribs every night while I slept (the truck your surgeon refers to)?

The surgery?

Not one single bit.

I tried everything else that made sense, and this was truly my last resort. I'm also very thankful I waited until the technology was there.

Again ... attitude is HUGE. Keep it ... and kick this annoyance to the curb.

Regards,
              Pam
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Just a hint for the wise, in case the arms are not long enough - a pair of red handled kitchen tongs. You can buy much fancier in the supply book and pay $30-$40, but the kitchen tongs do an adequate job with the toilet paper.

Good luck. Will be looking for your progress notes.
                Diane in Dallas
                Adult Ideopatic Scoliosis (37%) and Kyphosis (65%)
                Surgery #1 8/4/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                Surg #2 12/8/03 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                Surg #3 1/10/05 - Dr. Shelokov, Plano
                Surg #4 9/10/07 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                Surg #5 1/28/08 - Dr. Viere, Dallas
                Surg #6 4/27/09 - Dr. Viere, Dallas

Comment

I BetYou'll Do Great

You will probably tell the doc you were able to jump out from in front of that truck and only be annoyed at him instead of mad! It really is a big deal but with all the folks on here rootin for ya old scoli is fixin to get a kick in the rear.
                  You'll Be In My Prayers,
                  Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X