Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia - Elysia and her 4 month check up

Hi all,

Not posting much these days but still around by PM or the blog to answer any questions. Always happy to lend a hand or ear to anyone who's child is about to undergo surgery, especially those from down under.

Elysia had her 4 month check up today and it's all good news. Nothing to worry about and everything looks fine. She's still only risser 0 - which means we will still have a quite a while to continue x-rays and check ups - every six months until she's completed growing.

She had an episode of extreme pain from Sat to Tuesday - it appears that she just overdid something as by Wednesday she was back to normal again.

Surgeon also advised that he can see on the x-ray and also feel that her ribs are growing back nicely - that fact is amazing in itself!

I hope everyone is doing well in their Scoli Journeys - you were all such life savers to me during the pre-op the world is coming to and end days!!!!

Cyber hugs to all!
    Del
    xx
    Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
    Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
    Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
    L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Hi Del,

Thanks for the update, soooo glad to hear that all is well with Elysia.

LOVED your blog!

Hugs,

Laura x
    UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
    10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
    Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

Yay, Del and Elysia!

It was great to hear from you!!! I'm so glad all is well and going super for you. Yes, that's amazing about the rib regrowth, but that's what they say will happen...

I'm sure you are the busy mum, dealing with daughters and dogs and all the rest of those things that had us in stitches at times. Big cyber hugs back to you, too. Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Yea for Elysia!

That's great Del.

This surgery is remarkable.

Savannah gets occasional pain along her ribs a few times a week although she didn't have any ribs removed. Very strange.

Best regards,
        sharon
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon,

I still have occasional rib discomfort, and I also had no ribs removed ... from what I've heard others say, it comes with the territory.

The sensation that bothers me most is a periodic feeling of my ribs rubbing together in front (for lack of a better description) on the side that used to protrude. That's mainly in the morning right after I get out of bed (then again, ~everything~ is achy in the mornings - down to my ankles ... LOL).

What I feel on the back side (and not that often any more) is probably muscular ... it's on what was the very short side (the left) and most likely due to the rotation correction.

Tell Savannah it gets better with time .

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Del,

I was interested to read about your daughter's surgery and would like to know more. I am in Perth and we don't have any support groups here and although Tahlia's surgery is still a few months away, i am starting to get pretty nervous about it. We have another appt in October before the Nov surgery date, and i never seem to feel as though i have received enough information. My daughter's surgeon isn't easy to talk with and rather abrupt (although I hear he's very good).

How did you cope with Elysia's upcoming surgery and how has she coped herself. Was it a long recovery period?? How old is Elysia??

HOpe to hear back from you.

Thanks,

Lisa and Tahlia
            Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Comment

Kitty-- I've been reading your posts this week and want to welcome you to the forum too. I think you'll find plenty of support here. Some of us never do find any other support-- in the way of groups or individuals who have traveled this road... so the forum is such a blessing.

I'm not sure how often Del checks on things on the forum, but if you haven't read her blog, please do so. It will give you a very good look at her daughter's surgery and progress, in a very entertaining way. Just go to her initial post in this thread and click on her blog-- down in her signature.

Best wishes with you and your daughter. I know this is such a difficult time! But you WILL get through it-- everyone seems to agree that the waiting and the surgery are the hardest times-- once you get to the recovery, things are back on a do-able track. Susie

PS-- if you want me to add your daughter's surgery to our "UNofficial surgery calendar" let me know. You can see it-- and read how to add it to the official one as well, at this thread: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7443 We added November in, but you can't change the title of a thread so it doesn't show that.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Hi SusieBee!

Thank so much for the reply. Everyone who has responded so far has been so friendly and helpful. This site really is a godsend!! Yes, you are right, i am sure we will both get through this, but it really helps being able to talk with people who know what you're going through.

I will definitely access Del's blog and check out the calendar you mentioned.

Thanks heaps

L & T

Comment

Hey Kitty,

Hope the blog site helped you! I think you got a bit confused in the other post, Elysia has already had her surgery back in Feb this year here in Sydney.

I have a friend who's daughter had surgery in Perth last September. Email me and I will pass on their details to you.

Feel free to email and ask any questions you like or on the forum here. I think it's more stressful as a mum going through this surgery than actually having it yourself! It's so hard to make a decision on someone else's life and body, let alone your own child. There's HEAPS of wonderful people on this forum that can give you words of advice and help, but if you want an Aussie shoulder to cry on I'm happy to be there for you. (Don't worry, there will be plenty of smiles on everyone's faces once the surgery is over!)

Susie Bee - I have my email linked to any threads that I post on so that it comes straight through to me without having to come online and check. I'm still lurking around looking at for any Aussies who may need a hand. Thanks for stearing Kitty in my direction.

By the way Kitty, my older daughter is Tarlia as well.

Hugs to everyone!!! Hope everyone is doing well.

Del
                  xx
                  Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                  Sydney - Australia
                  Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                  Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                  L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Hi Del!

Ahhhhhhhh... it's good to know that you are linked that way. I had forgotten there was that capability. How is Elysia doing now? Is she pretty much recoverd and doing what she wants? Anymore funny stories about pets? Did dog #2 settle in ok and all? Hope you are all doing well. Hugs, Susie

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Oh - Elysia is doing great!!!!! Surgery???? What surgery???? LOL!
                      She has a little niggle of pain every now and then, but hey, don't we all! Nothing that causes her too much stress!

How's the dog doing, well as I type this, Sunday morning, Elysia is in the bath tub WITH THE DOG!!!!! That's how she baths it. (and then showers herself afterwards - thank God!!!) And how does she dry it??? Well the dam thing right now is running up and down the hall rubbing itself into the carpet. Who should I kill first???? Hmmmmm child or dog????

Okay - must run and get myself on the 6 oclock news, either for child abuse or cruelty to animals - LOL!!!!!

Del
                      xx
                      Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                      Sydney - Australia
                      Dec 2009 - Crankshafting

Comment

Hi Del,

I had a look at your blog which was great and has given me some ideas!!! It was VERY VERY helpful. I am amazed at the difference in her curve from pre-op to post-op. Tahlia has a somewhat larger curve that Elysia (I think it's 68 degrees) so i hope her correction will be a fairly large one, although they have told me if won't be perfectly straight, but i think we can both live with that.

You mentioned you knew someone in Perth. Do they come online? How old was their daughter when she had surgery and do you know what hospital/doctor they had??? I would love to contact them.

Thanks very much,

Lisa

Comment

Hi Kitty,

Glad you found the blog helpful! That was our intention and am so glad that we are able to help other Australian families (and others) with it.

Can you email me on delphine.misst@bigpond.com and I can send you Ivan's details. His daughter was 12 at the time and had a curve probably around the same size as Tahlia's, I can't remember the name of his Doctor or Hospital but know he would be more than happy to help you out in any way that he can.

Cheers
                          Del
                          Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                          Sydney - Australia
                          Dec 2009 - Crankshafting

Comment

Del,

It's nice to hear that your life is back to normal!

Mary Lou
                            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi Del,

I'm a little cautious about making contact with people i've met on the internet. Can you tell me how well you know this person and have you met him yourself? At this stage, i think I'd prefer to communicate via the web.

But i thank you for your offer. I would like to be able to ask you questions if i can? I know i will have many more as time goes on and the date gets closer. I think it's lovely that you want to help people because it really is a nerve-racking and confusing time when you don't know what to expect??

Thanks and Hugs

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                              X