Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best hospitals/clinics/centers/doctors that specialize in scoliosis treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best hospitals/clinics/centers/doctors that specialize in scoliosis treatment

I am seeking treatment for my 50 degree lumbar ideopathic curve.
    I wish to know the best places and doctors I can go to to seek treatment.
    I want to know the best in the country and the best in the East Coast ( i live in VA).

I am currently scheduling appointments and the Kluge center at UVa(University of VA) and at Baylor University in Texas. I have told these places are as good as any in the US, is this true?
    Last edited by eljamo17; 06-24-2008, 12:21 AM. Reason: typo

that mainly not ture the best in the county are the orthopedic shriners hospitals because they treat orthopedic problems also free of chrage. They the top learders in treating scoliosis and other orthopedic problems.
    There a shriners hospital in Philadelphia or greenville on the eastcoast.
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

ok

that sounds interesting, free surgery hmmm...

Comment

I agree with Kennedy - if you are in Virginia, you might want to try the Shriners Hospital in Philadelphia. It's one of the best. Their toll-free number is 1-800-281-4050. I assume you are under 18 (they treat children up to the age of 18) and even though it is free, the care is EXCELLENT.

If you cannot get there, they will drive you. I actually know someone who was driven, free of charge, by the Shriners from Virginia to Philadelphia just a couple of weeks ago. Unbelievable, but true :-)
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

ok

ok i was told about shriners earlier.
          Well i would be having a fusion surgery, so they would be good for that?Vertabrae L1-L4 i beleive.
          thanks for the reply.
          I'll check them out.
          Last edited by eljamo17; 06-28-2008, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Yes, fusion (and anything related to scoliosis) is one of their specialties. My knowledge is mostly with regard to the Philadephia Shriners hospital and they are TOPS in all facets of scoliosis treatment, including fusion. Many parents, whose children require fusion, actually seek out an opinion at Shriners Philly because of their excellent reputation.

Good luck!
            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

wow

wow Ms.
              Thank you so much again.
              I'll totally check them out and make an appointment.
              Plus its a good excuse to go to Philly!
              and you said they use BMP in fusion surgery which is awesome!

Comment

dont they

They do use BMP don't they?
                ANyone know?

Comment

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question about BMP. My son had VBS, not fusion. Also, I don't know if hospitals use different material on a case-by-case basis or if they use one material all the time, so best to ask someone at Shriners.

The physician's assistant to the spine team there is Janet Cerrone. She'd be your contact person. Her e-mail is janetcerrone@comcast.net. Or call the toll free number and ask for her. She usually returns voicemails and e-mails within a day or two.

Again, best of luck!
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Phili Shriners

Quick note. Shriners treats up to 21 yrs. old. My daughter was offered
                    minimally invasive thoracoscopic fusion surgery at age ~20 by Dr. Betz. He requires a year window for follow-up after surgery. Great experience.

Comment

Hi Gardenjen,

I had heard they treat patients up to age 21 - but I thought the caveat was that the child had to be in the Shriners Hospital system arleady. Was your daughter already a patient there?

Thanks for clarifying - I just want to be sure I have my facts straight :-)
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

When we spoke to Dr. Cahill earlier this month, I think he said they do not use BMP--they use donor bone. I don't remember the exact reason, but there was one. In any case, you would want to check this out to be sure.

Comment

Re:

I asked the same question about the BMP if they used it in fusion surgery for my 13 years old son. His surgeon mentioned that the insurance company might not cover the cost by using BMP. And the FDA has not approval for the use of spine surgery for children. They only granted approval in specific types of spine surgery.

Comment

Skybonus,

Most insurance companies won't cover rhBMP-2 for ADULT fusion, and it's debatable among surgeons whether it's effective for kids/adolescents.

Anyway, mine didn't cover it. Hanson knew going in they were going to kick it back, but I know I got it (because I have pictures of them laying the the absorbable collagen sponges).

Sherie, isn't Lenke one of the few in the US who will use BMP on kids? Just another way that doctors vary, Hanson did his fellowship under Lenke and won't.

And, no, skybonus ... the FDA only approves rhBMP-2 for instrumentation surrounded by titanium PEEK cages. Bullsh** when the studies prove its efficacy in cutting fusion time by 1/3 or more for scoliosis.

Regards,
                            Pam
                            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by WNCmom
                              When we spoke to Dr. Cahill earlier this month, I think he said they do not use BMP--they use donor bone. I don't remember the exact reason, but there was one. In any case, you would want to check this out to be sure.
                              WNCmom, on adults they combine allograft (cadaver bone) or autograft (patient harvested bone) with BMP. Again, I think it's rare to find a surgeon who'll use rhBMP-2 on kids at *all*.

I know I've read of limited cases where only BMP is used (on adults), but normally it's combined with some type of bone graft material. They lay the sponges soaked in BMP, and the pack with bone graft.

Regards,
                              Pam
                              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                              X