a few questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few questions...

Gday my fellow scolastics, a quick question.

My lumbar curve is bigger (38) than my thoracic (25). However I feel alot more pain in my thoracic. Feels like I have an ape sitting on my shoulders all day. Very tiring. Any ideas why this is happening?

Also my xrays were taking prone/supine, I have a feeling they should have been taking with me standing up? The curves would probably be bigger in upright position. One more, does anyone know if fusing just the thoracic curve would be an option. It may lower that lumbar curve and releave that upper spinal pressure I so hate! Oops I am late for work. See ya!
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Hey Jimbo, my prone MRI vs. my standing MRI showed about an 18* difference in the curve, and my doc confirmed it was because the curve flattened out laying down. That explains why I feel better laying down... I don't have any experience re: a thoracic fusion only. I'm sure you'll get great input here though.
    Lisa, Portland, OR
    49 y.o.
    46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
    L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
    Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
    T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Comment

18 percent difference, WOW. That's amazing! That is a major difference. I wonder if this has anything to do with the flexibility of the curve. I am thinking the more flexibile it is, the more it would curve. Has anyone else experienced this increase in curvature in an orthostatic position?
      Just thinking that even a slight increase in my scol would boost me above 40 degrees, but to think that it could be as high as 50 degrees or more is a sobering thought.
      45L/40T
      Surgery 25/1/2010
      Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Jimbo-- the x-rays need to be taken standing up. They do not measure the true curve if they are taken lying down. And yes, like ladare, that is why I always felt better before my surgery when I could lie down and get relief from the pressure just standing up/gravity made on me. That always got worse and worse throughout the day... which makes me wonder if the curves show different if the x-ray were to be taken after a long day rather than when you're feeling fresh in the morning.

It actually concerns me for you that your doctor wouldn't realize the difference. I am sure that it's standard practice to take scoli x-rays from a standing position-- and with your legs straight, etc., so you aren't tilted any. And without shoes too, since they can tip you a little forward...
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I agree with the others. In all my years of having Xrays for scoliosis, they were always standing up. I also feel better when I'm lying down. If I'm doing too much housework and my back gets tired, I lay down for 30 minutes or so and then I feel a lot better.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

A couple of years ago I had x-rays taken lying down by mistake. My curve measured 25 degrees lying down when it was actually 37. I had x-rays taken lying down after my surgery and my curve measured 5 to 7 degrees when it is actually 15 so yes, x-rays should be taken standing up.

Shell
            Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
            2003- 33 degrees
            2005- 37 degrees
            2006- 44 degrees
            May 2007- 47 degrees
            December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
            Fused T1 to L2
            Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Everyone is right, you need to be standing up. The first doctor I was seeing always took my x-ray laying down so we always thought my back was not as bas as it actually was. I was seeing a spine surgeon, but not someone that specialized in scoliosis. I switched doctors !!
              Jamie Age 29
              Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
              2008 Curves - 39/63/44
              Surgery Date - 3/25/08
              T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Working...
              X