July, August, September and October surgeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July, August, September and October surgeries

OK. So here goes with the next few months' surgeries... I included October because Debbei has hers set now too. I will add as they come along, add any info anyone wants listed, etc. Just get the info to me in a PM or on this thread.

This is for those of us who like to see it all at once-- but the official surgery calendar will post whatever surgeries are listed on it at the bottom of the main forum page, down underneath the birthdays, under "events"-- which only show up when there is an event that day. Anyone who needs to see some instructions for posting on the official calendar site, here is a link that can help: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showp...6&postcount=11

JULY
    3rd - ladare (Lisa) - T10-L5 (posterior) @ Oregon Health and Science University, W/ Dr. Jung Yoo
    17th - kimg's son (13) - @ Shriner's in Philadelphia
    29th - mschaeffer's daughter - Erika (14) @ DeVos Children's Hospital, Grand Rapids, MI

AUGUST
    4th - CherylPJ - T4-sacrum (posterior) w/ Dr. Lenke
    5th - Betsy - A/P surgery - T9-sacrum, w/ Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor Hospital, Plano, TX
    14th - Iluvnickjonas94 - Nikki (13)

SEPTEMBER
    4th - Louisse (41) - T3-L2, UK

OCTOBER
    8th - Nancy Joy - posterior fusion- T10-S1 (first of two part surgery)
    15th - debbei (Debbe) - T3-L3 or 4, NYC
    17th - arizo - 1st of 2 surgeries (chest tubes) and 22nd- main surgery
    20th - str8nnup (Reggie) - posterior lumbar fusion and osteotomy, Dr. Lenke
    21st - 2lucky2 (Arlene) - revision: remove/replace hardware, T3-L4, Dr. Boachie
    24th - Canadian_Bacon - T4-T12 fusion for Scheuermann's kyphosis
    27th (anterior) and 30th (posterior)- sunnyday (Stephanie) - Georgetown Hospital, Washington, D.C.

NOVEMBER
    I moved the November surgeries to their new thread: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7904
    That way "November" (and December 2008 surgeries) appear(s) in the thread title.
    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 10-23-2008, 08:11 AM. Reason: add other surgeries...
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Anyone else yet???

Just moving this back up into view... in case there's anyone else who has surgery scheduled in the next few months. Also, if you haven't added your surgery to the official calendar yet, there are some directions in the link in the post above.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Just adding in two surgeries from the adolescent section-- and putting this back into view.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Susie*Bee,

I finally got mine scheduled today! It isn't until November though. I added it to the calendar. It is November 10th.
        26 year old female
        wore a brace in junior high
        fusion of T4-L4 at 15 years old
        broken hardware at 23 due to failed fusion
        November 10, 2008 hardware removal and fusion of L3-L4

Comment

Just saw (from her post in the adolescent surgery area) that Rachey353 had her surgery July 10-- and is doing well at home now.

Also-- Kazyn was to have her 3rd surgery (in one year, if I remember right) sometime in July as well.

I added "November" to this thread so Jenlw's surgery could be added-- but of course, you can't add words to the title of a thread, so it's not in the title.

It seems like these next few months are a lot slower than spring and summer were!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

any news???

Just wondering-- has anyone heard from kimg on how her son's surgery went on the 17th?

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Top of the roller coaster

Susie*Bee, you are wonderful and your activity on this Forum is most helpful.

I zoned out and haven't even read anything for a bit and now time nears. I'll ask my husband or daughter to post an update, next week.
              Cheryl

Double major idiopathic scoliosis from 1988; progressed to 53 degree thoracic/65 degree lumbar.
              Corrected (with posterior surgery, fusion from T4 to the sacrum, & instrumentation) on August 4, 2008
              by Lawrence Lenke to within 10 degrees.

Love this forum! Thanks, all!

Comment

Cheryl-- hang on for that roller coaster ride of your life! I know I felt so many emotions that week just prior to my surgery-- I think I can safely say that most people going into this surgery have a huge sense of anticipation and excitement, coupled with (but not Geish!) a little bit of sheer terror-- or at least trepidation. And then one wonders why in tarnation they are being so crazy, to be putting themselves through such an ordeal! It is such a confusing time, with so many conflicting emotions and thoughts!!! Don't worry too much, though-- we've all been there too, gotten through it, and it will be ok. In a way, it's like the long build-up for a wedding. So much planning and preparation for months, excitement and worries (and even if it's the right guy!), then wham! in one day it's over (!!!) and time to settle into your new life, making adjustments, etc. Of course, then WE get stuck with recovery rather than a fun honeymoon! Oh well! The analogy had to break down, of course, because they're just not the same. In reality, we are going in for a remodel/reconstruction of our foundation/spine-- and that is awesome!

Your surgery is in one week, and then all this build up of anxiety and excitement will be replaced with working through the early stages of recovery-- buoyed on by knowing that your spine has been stabilized-- and you are straighter and taller to boot! Now that's an amazing thought! I'll be praying for you! Hugs, Susie

Everyone-- tomorrow is the surgery date for mschaeffer's daughter, Erika. You can look in the 1st post for the details. Next Monday is Cheryl's, and Tuesday is Betsy's... so that's a bunch close together.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Son's surgery done!!

Hi,

My son, Casey, had his surgery at Shriners in Philly on July 17th. He had a fusion from T3-L3 and was in the hospital for 8 days. Shriners was wonderful-I can't say enough nice things about them.

He is doing well. Sitting is still tough but getting a little better each day. He is still on his pain meds, but is waiting more and more time between each dose. The surgery was tougher than he expected but I think he is very relieved it is finally over and we can now look forward to recovery rather than waiting.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts.

Kim

Comment

Hi Kim
                    Thanks for posting an update. Please give my very best wishes to your son I'm sure you are all relieved the op is over with - now the recovery bit - for which I wish you all well.
                    It is exactly a month today to my own op date and the nerves are definitely creeping in - I just keep reading all the positive comments and trying to remain calm!!!
                    Regards
                    Louisse
                    Diagnosed aged 17 thoracic curve of 40°/48? given brace worn for short time but was then told that I had stopped growing and it wasn’t likely to get worse. Follow ups ‘got lost in the system’ and I chose to ignore until age approx 33, after two children. Now nearly 42yrs curve was progressing (last xrays 67 degrees) and increasing 'backache' so surgery (posterior T3 - L1) went ahead beginning of September 2008 in UK - thoracic curve now approx 20° and I look a lot straighter!

Comment

Yes, thanks for the update Kim! I'm so glad to hear it went well and Casey is getting along ok. Early recovery is tough, but he should be making good progress through it. The recovery time will fly by quicker than you think. Tell him he's a hero in our book. That's quite an adventure he's in the midst of... and one he'll never forget!

Louisse-- this is the hardest time-- leading up to the surgery. Keep reading the positive comments-- and remember we are here for you when you need us. Soon you'll be on the other side of surgery and have this part behind you. Recovery is hard, but easier to handle (for most people, anyway) than the anxiety and anticipation of that pre-op period. You'll do just fine!

Everyone-- with the new upgrade, the calendar notification part really works! Before, if you asked to be reminded about a surgery, all it did was show a little icon (alarm clock?) on the calendar page once you went there--it didn't actually remind you. Today I received (by email) notifications for the surgeries that are happening today and tomorrow... so that's pretty neat! You can pick how much ahead of time you want to be notified. CherylPJ's is today and Betsy's is tomorrow. And Cheryl's is showing (as they did before) on the main page, down below birthdays-- as an "event" for today.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Nikki's surgery is today...

(Nikki is Iluvnickjonas94) Just doing this as a reminder. I tried to put it on the official calendar about 4 days ago, but a new message popped up-- something about it being sent for approval or something, and it hasn't appeared there yet...

Nikki said her mom would email me, so I'm hoping that will happen. If so, I'll get it posted sometime tonight.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Yay! and double coverage...

I emailed Joe this morning before I left for work (sounds strange, going to work!) and asked why the surgery calendar was that way. When i got home, he had responded to my email and said they hadn't realized it was doing that (we don't use it that often) and it had probably changed when they upgraded. I noticed right away that there were 2 events listed for today, both of Nikki's surgery. She must have tried to post it (along with her pre-op) and it hadn't shown up, so when I saw there was nothing on that date, I tried to add it, and it went into limbo also. Now they both are there, and I think we are back in business with being able to post surgery dates without any delay in them.

Haven't heard anything yet from Nikki's mother, but her surgery wasn't scheduled to begin till 3:00...

Thanks, Joe, for taking care of that.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

No news yet...

Nikki (Iluvnickjonas94) said her mom would try to email me after her surgery, but I haven't heard anything yet. Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything...

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Awww I wish I came to this forum more before my surgery and I could've been on this list! This is a great idea!
                              17 years old - Female - Canada
                              Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
                              Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

Working...
                              X