PDA

View Full Version : July, August, September and October surgeries

Susie*Bee
06-17-2008, 03:27 PM
OK. So here goes with the next few months' surgeries... I included October because Debbei has hers set now too. I will add as they come along, add any info anyone wants listed, etc. Just get the info to me in a PM or on this thread.

This is for those of us who like to see it all at once-- but the official surgery calendar will post whatever surgeries are listed on it at the bottom of the main forum page, down underneath the birthdays, under "events"-- which only show up when there is an event that day. Anyone who needs to see some instructions for posting on the official calendar site, here is a link that can help: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showpost.php?p=58636&postcount=11

JULY
3rd - ladare (Lisa) - T10-L5 (posterior) @ Oregon Health and Science University, W/ Dr. Jung Yoo
17th - kimg's son (13) - @ Shriner's in Philadelphia
29th - mschaeffer's daughter - Erika (14) @ DeVos Children's Hospital, Grand Rapids, MI

AUGUST
4th - CherylPJ - T4-sacrum (posterior) w/ Dr. Lenke
5th - Betsy - A/P surgery - T9-sacrum, w/ Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor Hospital, Plano, TX
14th - Iluvnickjonas94 - Nikki (13)

SEPTEMBER
4th - Louisse (41) - T3-L2, UK

OCTOBER
8th - Nancy Joy - posterior fusion- T10-S1 (first of two part surgery)
15th - debbei (Debbe) - T3-L3 or 4, NYC
17th - arizo - 1st of 2 surgeries (chest tubes) and 22nd- main surgery
20th - str8nnup (Reggie) - posterior lumbar fusion and osteotomy, Dr. Lenke
21st - 2lucky2 (Arlene) - revision: remove/replace hardware, T3-L4, Dr. Boachie
24th - Canadian_Bacon - T4-T12 fusion for Scheuermann's kyphosis
27th (anterior) and 30th (posterior)- sunnyday (Stephanie) - Georgetown Hospital, Washington, D.C.

NOVEMBER
I moved the November surgeries to their new thread: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7904
That way "November" (and December 2008 surgeries) appear(s) in the thread title.

Susie*Bee
06-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Just moving this back up into view... in case there's anyone else who has surgery scheduled in the next few months. Also, if you haven't added your surgery to the official calendar yet, there are some directions in the link in the post above.

Susie*Bee
07-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Just adding in two surgeries from the adolescent section-- and putting this back into view.

Jenlw
07-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Susie*Bee,

I finally got mine scheduled today! It isn't until November though. I added it to the calendar. It is November 10th.

Susie*Bee
07-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Just saw (from her post in the adolescent surgery area) that Rachey353 had her surgery July 10-- and is doing well at home now.

Also-- Kazyn was to have her 3rd surgery (in one year, if I remember right) sometime in July as well.

I added "November" to this thread so Jenlw's surgery could be added-- but of course, you can't add words to the title of a thread, so it's not in the title.

It seems like these next few months are a lot slower than spring and summer were!

Susie*Bee
07-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Just wondering-- has anyone heard from kimg on how her son's surgery went on the 17th?

CherylPJ
07-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Susie*Bee, you are wonderful and your activity on this Forum is most helpful.

I zoned out and haven't even read anything for a bit and now time nears. I'll ask my husband or daughter to post an update, next week.

Susie*Bee
07-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Cheryl-- hang on for that roller coaster ride of your life! I know I felt so many emotions that week just prior to my surgery-- I think I can safely say that most people going into this surgery have a huge sense of anticipation and excitement, coupled with (but not Geish!) a little bit of sheer terror-- or at least trepidation. And then one wonders why in tarnation they are being so crazy, to be putting themselves through such an ordeal! It is such a confusing time, with so many conflicting emotions and thoughts!!! :confused: Don't worry too much, though-- we've all been there too, gotten through it, and it will be ok. In a way, it's like the long build-up for a wedding. So much planning and preparation for months, excitement and worries (and even if it's the right guy!), then wham! in one day it's over (!!!) and time to settle into your new life, making adjustments, etc. Of course, then WE get stuck with recovery rather than a fun honeymoon! :eek: Oh well! The analogy had to break down, of course, because they're just not the same. :rolleyes: In reality, we are going in for a remodel/reconstruction of our foundation/spine-- and that is awesome!

Your surgery is in one week, and then all this build up of anxiety and excitement will be replaced with working through the early stages of recovery-- buoyed on by knowing that your spine has been stabilized-- and you are straighter and taller to boot! Now that's an amazing thought! :cool: I'll be praying for you! Hugs, Susie

Everyone-- tomorrow is the surgery date for mschaeffer's daughter, Erika. You can look in the 1st post for the details. Next Monday is Cheryl's, and Tuesday is Betsy's... so that's a bunch close together.

kimg
08-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi,

My son, Casey, had his surgery at Shriners in Philly on July 17th. He had a fusion from T3-L3 and was in the hospital for 8 days. Shriners was wonderful-I can't say enough nice things about them.

He is doing well. Sitting is still tough but getting a little better each day. He is still on his pain meds, but is waiting more and more time between each dose. The surgery was tougher than he expected but I think he is very relieved it is finally over and we can now look forward to recovery rather than waiting.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts.

Kim

Louisse
08-04-2008, 04:11 AM
Hi Kim
Thanks for posting an update. Please give my very best wishes to your son I'm sure you are all relieved the op is over with - now the recovery bit - for which I wish you all well.
It is exactly a month today to my own op date and the nerves are definitely creeping in - I just keep reading all the positive comments and trying to remain calm!!!
Regards
Louisse

Susie*Bee
08-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Yes, thanks for the update Kim! I'm so glad to hear it went well and Casey is getting along ok. Early recovery is tough, but he should be making good progress through it. The recovery time will fly by quicker than you think. Tell him he's a hero in our book. That's quite an adventure he's in the midst of... and one he'll never forget!

Louisse-- this is the hardest time-- leading up to the surgery. Keep reading the positive comments-- and remember we are here for you when you need us. Soon you'll be on the other side of surgery and have this part behind you. Recovery is hard, but easier to handle (for most people, anyway) than the anxiety and anticipation of that pre-op period. You'll do just fine! :)

Everyone-- with the new upgrade, the calendar notification part really works! Before, if you asked to be reminded about a surgery, all it did was show a little icon (alarm clock?) on the calendar page once you went there--it didn't actually remind you. Today I received (by email) notifications for the surgeries that are happening today and tomorrow... so that's pretty neat! :cool:You can pick how much ahead of time you want to be notified. CherylPJ's is today and Betsy's is tomorrow. And Cheryl's is showing (as they did before) on the main page, down below birthdays-- as an "event" for today.

Susie*Bee
08-14-2008, 05:43 AM
(Nikki is Iluvnickjonas94) Just doing this as a reminder. I tried to put it on the official calendar about 4 days ago, but a new message popped up-- something about it being sent for approval or something, and it hasn't appeared there yet... :mad:

Nikki said her mom would email me, so I'm hoping that will happen. If so, I'll get it posted sometime tonight.

Susie*Bee
08-14-2008, 03:40 PM
I emailed Joe this morning before I left for work (sounds strange, going to work!) and asked why the surgery calendar was that way. When i got home, he had responded to my email and said they hadn't realized it was doing that (we don't use it that often) and it had probably changed when they upgraded. I noticed right away that there were 2 events listed for today, both of Nikki's surgery. She must have tried to post it (along with her pre-op) and it hadn't shown up, so when I saw there was nothing on that date, I tried to add it, and it went into limbo also. Now they both are there, and I think we are back in business with being able to post surgery dates without any delay in them.

Haven't heard anything yet from Nikki's mother, but her surgery wasn't scheduled to begin till 3:00...

Thanks, Joe, for taking care of that. :)

Susie*Bee
08-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Nikki (Iluvnickjonas94) said her mom would try to email me after her surgery, but I haven't heard anything yet. Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything...

tillgurl
08-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Awww I wish I came to this forum more before my surgery and I could've been on this list! This is a great idea! :)

txmarinemom
08-18-2008, 02:01 AM
I emailed Joe this morning before I left for work (sounds strange, going to work!) and asked why the surgery calendar was that way. When i got home, he had responded to my email and said they hadn't realized it was doing that (we don't use it that often) and it had probably changed when they upgraded.

Sorry to point this out AGAIN, but the reason I started the text calendar you're still maintaining was the old one was broken. I had to state I was building my OWN calendar to get them to fix the native one HERE.

They did, and yet you still felt some compelling urge to maintain the text calendar. Susie, as a database developer, I've told you dual sources NEVER sync.

And how interesting Joe responds to you. I've emailed him 4-5 times over the last month regarding his willingness to post a link to www.vertebralstapling.com if Betz approved it: Janet Cerrone approved it for Betz via email to Joe, and he still won't post the link - or even *agree* to post the link (despite what he emailed me). Joe has spoken quite liberally (and favorably .. including on YouTube) about Spinecor. Bias in treatment options here from the NSF President is quite unbecoming.

Parents need to know ALL the options.

Susie*Bee
08-19-2008, 05:40 AM
I got a PM from Nikki (her friend was doing the typing) and she's home from the hospital. She thought her mom had emailed me. So, when I hear a little more about it, I'll probably start a thread up in the adolescent area. Anyway, she's home and was feeling pretty good last night when she sent the PM. :)

CherylPJ
08-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Surgery was 8/4/08, T4 to the sacrum with Lawrence Lenke. Out of bed (and ICU) 8/5. On 8/6, physical therapist accused me of trying to out-run her. All that work in the gym and pool ("pre-hab") really paid off. Strong legs are a huge benie.

Released to an apartment that we rented in St. Louis on 8/10. When weekend release was first mentioned, it scared me. By Sunday (less than a week post-op), I informed folks it was time.

To get the apartment, we had to sign a minimum 30 day lease. I resented that my husband wanted to stay that long. Now, I am glad. Our daughter and a friend who acted like a loving daughter have each spent a week here and have now left. We are settling in to the every day is better than the last, but why isn't it better yet?

It wasn't all the smooth sailing that it, at first, appeared that it would be. When the central line went in the Friday before the surgery, we discovered that I am alergic to "silk tape." After I got out of the hospital, we recognized an allergy to *all* tape. Panic application of hydrocortizone and taking of Benadryl followed. Then, we deduced that Benadryl, instead of causing me to be sleepy, has the opposite effect. Substitute Ambien for Benadryl and be grateful that we seem to have tracked down all the tape and all places seem to be on the mend.

Today, two weeks and one day post surgery, I am walking without a walker for about has far as I could tolerate prior to surgery; I am sleeping more comfortably; and ... I am marveling at the miracles!

Every muscle in my torso is still complaining, but we'll get there.

I have many things that I want to share and will. However, typing is one of the things that the muscles don't much like.

To each and every one of you -- particularly Susie*Bee -- who helped pre-surgery, a huge thank you. To each of you considering the uncertainties, hang in there. Miracles require a bit of prep.

debbei
08-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Cheryl,

Good for you, I am so happy that you are doing so well. You are an inspiration for me, as my date is quickly approaching.

Susie*Bee
08-19-2008, 08:26 PM
I was soooo glad to hear you are doing so well. Yes, recovery's hard work-- but you are obviously doing great! Keep us posted on how you're doing. Big hugs, Susie

Susie*Bee
08-20-2008, 05:41 AM
I got a really nice email from Nikki telling some about her time in the hospital. She said she's going to post a detailed account on the forum today, so I'll just let her do the posting on that. Great news, though! :)

CherylPJ
08-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Debbie, keep us posted. I'm still stiff and having trouble typing much, but will attempt to get more thoughts entered ... in time that they might help you. When is yours and with whom? (Yeh, lazy. I'll go see what I can spot on the calendar.)

Meanwhile, anything that you are doing to strengthen your legs will help you get going again without stressing the back! We called it pre-hab.

debbei
08-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Debbie, keep us posted. I'm still stiff and having trouble typing much, but will attempt to get more thoughts entered ... in time that they might help you. When is yours and with whom? (Yeh, lazy. I'll go see what I can spot on the calendar.)

Meanwhile, anything that you are doing to strengthen your legs will help you get going again without stressing the back! We called it pre-hab.

I'm scheduled October 15th with Dr. Neuwirth. Yes I agree about the legs. I was just taking a lazy break on the total gym to check the computer.....BACK I go!!! I need to crack the whip on myself sometimes or I'll just be lazy.

I hope you continue to feel better & recover quickly.

CherylPJ
08-22-2008, 03:39 PM
I just started a thread called "Surgery Window" because I felt that we did not have enough on the details of how to survive in the hospital and so forth. I hope that the information contained will be a blessing to those with up coming surgeries!

My very best wishes to those who are about to enter the magic three week period that I describe.

You can send mail to me directly at Cheryl at <change that to an @ sign, of course> JCC.com.

PS I walked about 1/3 mile, today. Today is day 22. No walker, just my husband's hand.

Louisse
08-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi Cheryl
thanks for your posts - I was pleased to hear how well you're getting on. My surgery is in......ummmm 11 days time aaaagh can't believe it's finally here. Just want to get on and get it done now - still having those doubting moments but this site has been invaluable to me so thanks for posting.

Can I ask what you did to strengthen your legs ? - I have been running a few times a week (about 3 miles) swimming once a week and a doing bit of exercise bike - so hope this stands me in good stead. I'm also not overweight and don't smoke.
Thanks again for the updates
All the best
Louisse

Susie*Bee
08-24-2008, 06:11 PM
I got an email from her a little bit ago, saying that she had developed a urinary tract infection from the catheter, plus she is having sleep problems. She woke up at 1 a.m. and wasn't able to fall back asleep all day. She says she is soooo tired, but can't fall asleep. So you might keep her in your thoughts and prayers...

Susie*Bee
08-26-2008, 04:19 PM
I just added str8nnup (Reggie) to this-- has anyone else mentioned upcoming surgeries for these months recently? I've been trying but might have missed some. (PLEASE feel free to pm me if you see one that needs to be added...) :)

Louisse
09-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Hi to everyone and a big thank you to those that have posted over the last few months that I have been on this site. The advice and shared experiences have been so helpful for me to read and have prepared me for my forthcoming op so much more than I could have imagined.
I go into hospital tomorrow afternoon ready for the op first thing in the morning of the 4th September.
After lots of family and friends wishing me well it has really bought it home to me that I am at last only a day or so away and I am feeling quite nervous, but also soooooo just want to get in there and get it done...(and start that recovery journey)
I hope you are recovering well Cheryl
and Debbei - I am thinking of you as your time gets every closer
Susie - hope work continues to be ok for you and I will try and get hubbie to post to let you know how it went
txmarinemum - you are my inspiration I love your posts and yes, I promise, I will do lots of walking...!
Ginger - I look forward to reading more of your blogs.
Thanks again to EVERYONE for posting

Louisse
x

debbei
09-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Good luck Louisse!! I am looking forward to hearing how well you did!! I also appreciate all the info I get here so much. I can't imagine going into this blind, not knowing what to expect.

Qikdraw
09-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Good luck! I hope that everything goes well for you!

Remember to get 'before and after' photos and xrays for Susie's scrapbook. :D

Brad

Louisse
09-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi to you all on this forum.
This is Cris Louisse's husband
Please do not expect too much from me
What a day it has been Louisse has been a solid as a rock and helped me through this (I know it should be the other way but she is so special)
Op was planed for 9am had all the pre op stuff done things stuck to her for monitoring and ready to go at 8:30 am then the surgeon came in and told us there may not be a High dependency bed for her so the op may be cancelled!!
What a roller coaster ride of emotions that gave us.
But next thing we are off and on our way to theatre.
So in she went at 9am I was left to wait (not nice)
Spoke to a nurse about 11:30 was told all was going great and the op would be done on the back and there was no need to go in the side and break ribs (hope you understand).
Then got a call from the surgeon about 3:40 to say it was finished and all had gone as planned and he had a good correction.
Saw Lou about 4:30 in the recovery room and she was ok glad it was over.
I thought she looked amazing taking in to account what she had been through.
So as I see it moment (I have just phoned the hospital) she is ok in bed listening to her iPod feels a bit sick but fine.

What a day

Cris

debbei
09-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Hi to you all on this forum.
This is Cris Louisse's husband
Please do not expect too much from me
What a day it has been Louisse has been a solid as a rock and helped me through this (I know it should be the other way but she is so special)
Op was planed for 9am had all the pre op stuff done things stuck to her for monitoring and ready to go at 8:30 am then the surgeon came in and told us there may not be a High dependency bed for her so the op may be cancelled!!
What a roller coaster ride of emotions that gave us.
But next thing we are off and on our way to theatre.
So in she went at 9am I was left to wait (not nice)
Spoke to a nurse about 11:30 was told all was going great and the op would be done on the back and there was no need to go in the side and break ribs (hope you understand).
Then got a call from the surgeon about 3:40 to say it was finished and all had gone as planned and he had a good correction.
Saw Lou about 4:30 in the recovery room and she was ok glad it was over.
I thought she looked amazing taking in to account what she had been through.
So as I see it moment (I have just phoned the hospital) she is ok in bed listening to her iPod feels a bit sick but fine.

What a day

Cris

Cris,
Thanks for the update and I'm so glad she did well. Send her our love. :)

Sharshe
09-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Glad to hear things are going well. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Susie*Bee
09-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks so much for letting us know about the surgery! It sounds like Louisse is doing really well. She'll need a lot of tender loving care for awhile, but I can tell you will be able to provide that. She sent me the link a couple of weeks ago to that wonderful place you took her out to eat... Wow! I just loved looking through the site. What a special time out for the two of you. ;)

Please give her my love-- and a big (but gentle) hug. :) Susie

Ginger W.
09-05-2008, 11:25 PM
I can't believe that Louisse is listening to her iPod so soon after surgery! THAT'S a good sign!!!

Please tell her that Ginger says she's glad the worst is over and also glad to hear they were able to do the surgery with a posterior approach.

It's so kind of you, Cris, to get onto the forum and let us know that she made it through with flying colors.

Susie*Bee
09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Just adding in a surgery from WNCmom-- her son, Sidney, 13, is scheduled for November 13th at Shriner's in Philadelphia.

discombobulated
09-13-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm glad to hear Louise's op went well...a few days on now, so I hope she's through the worst of it :)

Susie...call me stupid, but I added my date (Dec. 11) to the calendar a while ago, but it no longer shows up - what did I do wrong? lol.

Susie*Bee
09-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi dis! I definitely don't think you are "stupid"! Sometimes things just disappear... was there a box that came up and said anything after you posted to the calendar? Why don't you try it again and see what happens-- maybe it was just a glitch. A few months ago when I was adding an event to the calendar, after I did it there was a box that said it needed to be approved, etc., before it would appear. I contacted Joe and asked "why?" since it shows who posted it and only members have access to add events. He said it wasn't supposed to be that way, and my event showed up shortly after, so I assumed it was fixed. Anyway, try it again and see if it works this time. If not, we'll just work some more on it. OK?

discombobulated
09-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Hi Susie,

Thanks for the tips. I just tried again & it redirected me to a page that said the event will need to be okayed by a moderator before it's posted. I don't think that appeared last time, I think I could see it right away...I only realised it wasn't there when I was looking for something else the other day.

Anyhow, perhaps it'll reappear in time :) Thanks again!

Canadian_Bacon
09-14-2008, 11:06 AM
add me to the list!!

T4-T12 fusion for Scheuermann's Kyphosis on Oct 24 :)

Susie*Bee
09-14-2008, 12:32 PM
CB--it's done. Do you want your doctor or hospital (or city?) listed?

discombobulated
09-16-2008, 12:02 AM
No cigar :cool:

I'm sure I'll remember when it's on anyway LOL

Nancy Joy
09-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Susie*Bee~~~

Loved your analogy!!!!! My sister says I am getting a new bod. That puts a neat twist on it- million dollar baby (hope not) and we could call it body renovation- hey- people who do this have the *best* posture on the planet! My daughter was giving me tips and said to make sure I lean in to get into a vehicle so I don't hit my head- ok- she is 5'7" and I am 5' 1" (and adding- ha!) but I will heed her suggestion when the time comes!:):):)

Susie*Bee
09-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Nancy Joy-- glad you enjoyed the analogy. And getting in and out of cars is a "trip" in itself, which you'll discover. It depends on how long your fusion is, but it can be tricky to not bump your head and also not bend or twist... :confused:

Discombobulated-- I contacted Joe about the surgery calendar and he was apologetic about it not being right yet. It is now fixed-- and so BOTH your entries are there. You can always go in and remove one of them. And of course you won't need a reminder at the time-- it's the rest of us who will! ;)

discombobulated
09-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Much thanks, Susie! Glad it wasn't just me going nuts(er!). I'll be thinking of all you lovely ladies (& lads) while I'm in.

Susie*Bee
10-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Just wanted to let you all know I got a PM from Louisse and it sounds like she's doing fine. She's 4 weeks post-op now. She says she needs to rest a lot and looks forward to the time when she has more energy. She hopes to be up to posting sometime soon. :)

Susie*Bee
10-15-2008, 07:32 AM
With so many surgeries coming up-- and Debbe's today-- I thought I'd bring this old post up... look at the first post in the thread to see the surgeries...

I'm going to cut and paste November's surgeries into a new thread of November and December surgeries, so it's in the title and not so ancient. If you know of others coming up then, please add them on and then I'll go back and put them in the first post.

Thanks!

Susie*Bee
10-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Just added arizo...

Susie*Bee
10-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Anyone hear from str8nup/Reggie (surgery 10/20) or 2Lucky2/Arlene (10/21)???

discombobulated
10-22-2008, 01:23 AM
Afraid not, Susie. Reggie said his wife would try to post within about the first week of his surgery, so *fingers crossed*....

Nancy Joy
10-22-2008, 03:45 PM
HI Susie~

I tried to add this with no success to the calendar. My second surgery is definitely Nov. 10th. It is to add front fusion to the lowest part of my 1st fusion for extra stability. I am ready to go!!! Thanks, Nancy

Susie*Bee
10-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Just wondering if anyone has heard how the recent surgeries went for 2lucky2, canadian bacon, and sunnyday.

pmsmom
11-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Has anyone heard from sunnyday as to how her surgery went at Georgetown?

2lucky2
11-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Sorry I have not posted sooner, but this is the first day I have had Internet acccess.
My surgery was on 10/21/08 with Dr. Boachie. The surgery lasted 12 1/2 hours. I was in the StepDown Unit (ICU) for 8 days until the chest tube could be removed. At that time I was in my own room. I was sent home on 11/5/08, since there were no beds in the rehab.
I have been staying at my mom's, today my husband brought me over to our house. I will return to my house after Thanksgiving. My house has lots of steps to get into and mom's only has 2.
I am doing well, just have no appetite.

Arlene

pmsmom
11-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Glad to hear you're doing well Arlene!

discombobulated
11-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Any word on how Nancy Joy's 2nd op went?? Have I just missed a post somewhere, or is there no word yet?

Nancy Joy - hope all went well & you're on a smooth road of recovery....