Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another surgery date for the list

Hi all,

I only joined the forum about six weeks ago, so many of you may not know me, except that you may remember I asked the 'toileting' question... Anyway, I am scheduled for a July 3rd surgery for a T10-L5 fusion at Oregon Health and Science University, posterior only. My surgeon is Dr. Jung Yoo. He is the Chairman of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, and heads up the Adult Spine Clinic. I trust that I am in very good hands. My expected hospital stay is only 4-5 days. The purpose of the surgery is not to correct my curve (it is not very noticable in clothing), rather it is to stop the curve from increasing (it increased 8 degrees last year alone), and to alleviate the pain caused by lumbar stenosis, arthritis, and lumbosacral spondylosis. I really appreciate all that has been shared on this forum; it has really helped alleviate the fear of the unknown for me. After reading so many of your stories (really long fusions, S1 fusions, anterior and posterior surgeries, etc.) it makes me feel like my surgery is going to be a breeze, but I keep reminding myself that in reality, it is a big deal, just not as big as some. You have all been a real inspiration! Thanks so much. I have a whole slew of people praying for me, and I welcome anyone else who would like to do so also!

Dreaming of the day when I'll be nearly pain free...
    Lisa, Portland, OR
    49 y.o.
    46 degree curve L1-L5, mild T curve
    L5-S1 healthy, thankfully
    Lumbar stenosis, osteoarthritis, lumbosacral sponsylosis
    T11-L5 fusion 7/3/08

Hi Lisa! That's great that you have your date set and have a great attitude! It sounds like you are confident in your surgeon and have a good understanding of what this surgery is all about. I will be praying for you!

Do you know how to post your surgery on the official forum surgery calendar? If not, you can go here and see some directions that were posted awhile ago: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showp...6&postcount=11

We can also start a thread for July, August and September surgeries, if people would like. I'd be very glad to do that. I tried to keep things up-to-date with the April, May, June one. Just let me know. I remember someone posted about their upcoming surgery just a couple days ago-- plus I know there are a couple in August-- CherylPJ and Betsy. Don't know about any others at the moment, but I haven't been writing everything down.

Very soon you will be on the other side of surgery, and that's an exciting thought all on its own. Best wishes-- and prayers-- for a successful surgery and smooth recovery. Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Lisa, I will definitely put you on my prayer list. Susie, I like the idea of a thread for the July, August and September surgeries because it is so easy to check and see when someone's surgery is at a glance. Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
      X