Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing my story to offer hope...

Hello all,
    I am a 34 yo mother of 4 and have a harrington rod. I had surgery at the age of 12 and my C curvature was nearing 50 deg. I know a lot of new innovations have come about in recent years, so things I've experienced are different than what you may be experiencing. I am touched as I read through these posts, especially from the adolescents that are currently going through what I did so many years ago... and by their parents who are grappling with what does this all mean for their children...
    My curvature happened so quickly from diagnosis in school, to the diagnosis for surgery. I was only in my Milwaukee brace for the 6 months following surgery. Of course I hated every moment in my brace, especially wearing turtleneck sweaters to hide it in the warm summer months! The worst day was when I dropped a pencil during a math exam, leaned to the floor to pick it up, and subsequently pulled the entire desk-chair combo unit to the floor with me. Then I was like a turtle trying to stand up... stuck! How embarrassing! But you live through those times, and you grow stronger through them. Two years after surgery I tried out for, and made it onto the varsity cheerleading team. My doctor said it was alright, but not to base any pyramids, or "fly" on the top either! Ha ha, I did both, but that's just because I was well able for it. I was a cheerleader for two years in high school and loved it. Also, I was selected to represent my high school in a local festival and then won the title of Queen! My doctor also told me "No horseback riding, nothing jarring, no running, etc.." Well, I've done those things too, even scarey roller coaster rides. I run 3 times per week, and have completed a half marathon. Running works for me, sit ups don't though.

hmm.... I hope I don't get in trouble for sharing these things. But the truth is, I want you to know your life is not over if you have Scoliosis. Instead, it's just one more thing that defines who you are as a uniquely made creature. Our creator makes no mistakes. I firmly believe that.
    As I said, I have 4 children (they are my life! Ages 14, 10, 8, and 3) and I am monitoring and watching with bated breath that they too may have scoliosis. I know each person has different levels of limitation, pain, recovery, etc. I know that I have had a very good outcome. I also think that the attitude by which you approach your situation will determine your success.
    All the best in life to you,
    IrishMum
    Last edited by IrishMum; 06-16-2008, 10:01 AM. Reason: I said Boston brace, It was actually a Milwaukee brace

Thank you, IrishMum. What a wonderful post--and it does give me hope!

Mary Ellen

Comment

Working...
    X