Corrective corsets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrective corsets

Heya guys, my name's Jenny and I'm 9months post-op now but as I get back to normal I'm starting to see that my hips and ribs (having been straightened out due to the surgery) now appear wonky and bumpy and it's getting me down. I had anterior corrective surgery for a 40 degree thoracic-lumbar curve and they went in through my right lung which may explain my lumpy right-hand side.

But I guess what I'm trying to get at is that as an 18yr old lass, I'm rather vain and wondered if anyone could tell me if corsets or braces help to give any support or help with posture and shape?

Jen x
    Jenny
    18 years old
    Sept '04 - Diagnosed with 40° thoracic/lumbar curve
    Sept '07 - anterior spinal fusion T8-L2

Jen

Corsets meaning traditional back laced victorian style garments will definetly work to reshape your torso and support your spine. I have collected vintage corsets for many years and even had some custom made ones for my wife. I can not tell you if wearinga corset would be a good idea since you have had sugery etcetera and would suggest that you talk to your doctor about it before you go and do anything. With that being said there are a number of options out there for you. The first option might be the dull ugly whit surgical type corset that your doctor might perscribe. Beyond that there are a number of makers who make off the shelf fashion style corsets. I would not recomend these as they are not fitted to your exact measurements and generally are not well made. The best option is to have a custom corset made by I real corsetier. There are a few out there but the one that I would recomend is Melanie Talkington who owns Lace embrace Atelier www.laceembrace.com in Vancouver. Her work is excelent and her corsets are based on victorian designs and principles of body shaping. She does make a surgical corset for a doctor in Canada as well as other braces and supports. Please check out her website and feel free to contact her. You can mention that you heard about her from me. She made a really special corset for my wife called the williamson health corset with double sets of lacing in the back. It was based on medical corset from the late 1800's.

Additionaly keep in mind that a corset will only do so much and that you should have a plan with a therapist to tone and strengthen your muscles.

The last option are the multitude of department store body shapers that will do wonders for smoothing out the small bumps and stuff. Again though I would talk to your doctor first.

Mike

Comment

Working...
    X