6 months post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 months post op

We just had our 6 month post op appointment this past week and I'm happy to report that all restrictions have been lifted. Yes to everything, other than jumping on a trampoline - our surgeon is not a fan of them at all even for people who don't have scoliosis. I asked about rollercoasters, waterslides, and he said yes to all of that as well.

Her first day back in Phys Ed at school yesterday and she played soccer. She said that it was a lot of fun but whenever someone ran towards her to get the ball, she braced herself to get hit and was afraid. I think that is a normal reaction and it will probably take a while before she gets aggressive in sports again. She is really looking forward to volleyball camp this summer and her goal is to make the grade 8 team in September. I hope she'll be ok with that - of course I worry....

I am attaching her before & after x-rays - hopefully it works...

That's great news.

Can I ask how the surgeon knew it was okay to have your daughter come off restrictions when she did at six months?

Our surgeon said eight months and won't even see her between now and then but I wonder if eight months is overly cautious.

It would be good if my daughter could do gym during most of the Fall rather than wait until Thanksgiving if possible.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 06-15-2008, 06:20 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

When I asked him how he knew the spine was fused, he said that he could see that the spine was solid on the x-ray. He showed me the current x-ray but of course, to an untrained eye, I wouldn't know any different. However, he also said that generally it takes 6 months to fuse and everyone fuses at different rates. I think younger bones fuse more quickly than older bones too. Some fuse in 6-12 weeks and some take up to 1 year.

Of course the nagging feeling in the back of my mind makes me worry. But I am so tired of worrying. My daughter is on the cautious side anyways so I'm hoping that even though restrictions have been lifted, she won't be doing cartwheels or bungee jumping any time soon.

Comment

When I had surgery in 1984 my doctor told me two years! A long time, but I still played volleyball, just no roller coasters or anything too jarring.
        I just remind my daughter (for when she has her fusion) that you want to keep the rest of the spine healthy. You're lower back is like a shock absorber, to much pounding and you might pay for it later. Personally, I have never found running comfortable since my fusion, so I'm a pretty fast walker.
        Emily

Comment

Emily, just remember surgery - and after abilities - have advanced LOADS since 1984.

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

WOW! that is Great news!!! I hope Skyler can be released of restrictons at 6 months. WE are just over 1 month post op!

Comment

Yay, I wish her good luck at her volley ball camp!
              Pre-Op:
              UT-35*. T-55*, L-30*
              16 year old girl
              Fusion- T5- T12 on March 17th 2008
              Post-OP:
              UT-27*, T/L-very straight : ]

Comment

Hi Karen

I wanted to say "HI" and glad to hear all's going well with your daugher.
                Sheena's doing good too, will be 8 months post in a few days. We just got back from vacation, went to Disney and she rode Space Mountain, we did some light hiking in Yosemite and she went swimming in her new bikini in Vegas. I was really pleased that she wasn't shy about her scar.

Take care

Comment

Hi Sherie,

That is great that Sheena is doing so well!

Lena is quite proud of her scar too and isn't self conscious about it and happy to wear her bikini. In fact, I think she likes to show it off a little..especially to those of us who are whimpy when we stub our toe... ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X