Burning? and other pains.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning? and other pains.

I am now 3 weeks post op, and I am having some pain issues. I cannot pinpoint the area of pain, due to the numbness in my back. I feel as if it is lower in my spine, however around the top of my lumbar area. At times it pops that I feel that I don't know what they are and these are felt mid back, and I have sticking sharp pains in my right side. As I try and sit up it is a stinging/sticking/burning sensation along my right side midway to my spine in the middle of my back.
    I am also experiencing a burning sensation over most of my stomach and back. It's hard to manage with this, and I have been dealing with nausea and dizziness as well the last two days. The dizziness has no yet made me fall but I came close to it this morning and had to go back to bed.

Walking has not helped the burning sensation nor the pain my back, the pain that is on my right side when I am upright (sitting or walking) it feels as if it is on my left side of my spine. I have been walking in the early mornings for about 10 to 15 minutes, and building up some days where I can also walk at night for about 10 minutes. I have been resting when I feel my body needs it, and do not feel I have over exerted myself to cause the pain issues. I also feel maybe on the other hand I did do something but what I do not know. I do know that I have slept a good amount this past weekend, heavily so that I fell asleep on my side to wake up on my back.

I have called in for help from my doctor's office but have yet to hear back from them, and I am just worried as to what it could be.

On the upside, I did get a card in the mail stating I have implants in my spine, that at least made me laugh! (i put pictures on my blog benditback.blogspot.com) ...oh and I didn't even request it, just got it in the mail.
    My One Crooked Momma blog
    Fused T1-L1 May 21st 2008
    From 51* to STRAIGHT! Thanks Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor

Originally posted by mmw
    I am now 3 weeks post op, and I am having some pain issues. I cannot pinpoint the area of pain, due to the numbness in my back. I feel as if it is lower in my spine, however around the top of my lumbar area. At times it pops that I feel that I don't know what they are and these are felt mid back, and I have sticking sharp pains in my right side. As I try and sit up it is a stinging/sticking/burning sensation along my right side midway to my spine in the middle of my back.

I am also experiencing a burning sensation over most of my stomach and back. It's hard to manage with this, and I have been dealing with nausea and dizziness as well the last two days. The dizziness has no yet made me fall but I came close to it this morning and had to go back to bed.
    I'm guessing the burning normal. Remember, not only have you been "rearranged" (both lateral and rotation), you have nerves that were severed in surgery that are desperately trying to reconnect. They can can cause burning, electric jolt type sensations, and itching. (it does get better with time)

The "back stabs" can also be dissolvable or PDS stitches (non-dissolvable - the blue ones) working towards the surface. I have one trying to spit (at 4 months!) right ON the left side lumbar anchor of my thoracic fusion. It is *exactly* situated where the seat of my car rests against it when I drive. If I happen to lean back in the seat just right, and it gets it from the right angle, it feels like an electric shock.

(I actually have 4 PDS stitches trying to break through the skin. I tried to get Hanson to dig them out in the office this week at my 4 mo's post-op visit, and he thinks IF they need to come out, it should be done in day surgery. Great. In the meantime, I'm using a scrub with salacylic acid (like acne scrub) on a backbrush every time I bathe. The salacylic acid held the skin shed dead cells, so hopefully, it will unveil the stitches themselves. When I go back in 2 months, we'll decide what to do.)

The nausea/dizziness could be your meds: What are you taking? Are you eating? Pain itself can also make you nauseous AND dizzy/disoriented. Also, if you're lying down a lot, the simple act of getting UP can make you dizzy ... be sure to get up slowwwwwwwwwly. Sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes before you actually get up.

Popping is also common. Hanson told me it's usually the muscles and ligaments dragging across the hardware. If it's not painful, I wouldn't worry about it. Just remember, pain (real pain ... not just the normal 3 wk discomfort pain) is always a red flag.

Let us know what your surgeon says!

Best regards,
    Pam
    Last edited by txmarinemom; 06-13-2008, 02:16 PM.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Thank you!

The P.A. from the office just called me, he said yes it is nerves (you are so GOOD!) ..and he is calling in Neurontin for me tonight to start taking immediately.

Then he said that he is sending me in for a CT scan first of next week, so that when I go for my one month on the 26th they will have those results to look at rather than an xray. Which freaks me out, and I just need to stay on the positive side of life right now.

Lots of positive thinking is going to have to take place to keep me calm the next 12 days.
      My One Crooked Momma blog
      Fused T1-L1 May 21st 2008
      From 51* to STRAIGHT! Thanks Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor

Comment

Originally posted by mmw
        Lots of positive thinking is going to have to take place to keep me calm the next 12 days.
        Just keep posting, and you know you'll have help, hon .

Best regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
        X