Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugery Part I of II on Monday

Hi all!

Well, the Big Dance is almost here...and I'm not talking about the World Series of Poker. Here's what the plan is...I check in Monday am at 9am and the ALIF is scheduled at 11am. Two entrances, one above the pubes to access L4 and one on the side (XLIF) to access the two discs above that (3 total). Bone graft will go in L 2/3 and 3/4, and a PEEK cage will go in at L 4/5 The L5 disc is PERFECT so I'm glad I made the decision I did about surgeons. Two incisions in my belly - by the time they do the posterior I'll look like a Halloween Pumpkin.

The surgeon said I was bone-on-bone at L2/3 and 3/4 so it's no wonder I'm in pain. He also said I'd have more "grief" (translated pain) from the anterior incisions than the posterior. The ALIF will take 4-5 hours and we hope the posterior will be Friday, instead of Monday the 23rd but it depends. Fusion surgery will be T10 thru L5.

Both my kids will be with me at all times in the hospital, son during the day, and daughter at night. Daughter's boyfriend is looking after my sweetie little chihuahua, with makes me feel LOADS better.

We're bringing my laptop so I hope I'll be able to post between surgeries.

I'm working a half day today (and wearing 3 inch heels just for the heck of it he-he), then getting my legs waxed, brows done and a pedicure. Dang, I'll look good on that OR table....

This weekend I'm going to *try* and relax and play a lot of online poker I'm sorry I'm going to miss Wimbledon TV coverage (I love tennis) but they tell me I'll be out of it and won't know the difference between Serena Williams and the Queen of England.

Updates to come and thank you all SO MUCH for all your advice, encouragement and love!
    Last edited by Chihuahua Mama; 06-14-2008, 05:30 PM.
    Susan
    XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Wow, Susan... you had me laughing as I read your post! I can picture you all "dolled up" on the OR table... What fun! Unfortunately, those dang drapes will get in the way of showing off those waxed legs!

It sounds like you've got the bases covered with your kids attending to you, and your dogsitter too.

I'll be looking forward to your first post-- as well as updates before you're up to doing your own. You'll do great. This "just before" time is sooooo hard, but soon it will be over and you'll be traveling down the ol' recovery road, making progress daily. I'll be praying for you! Hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Good luck! I will be thinking of you and praying for you. It sounds like you'll be keeping busy between now and Monday which is very good. I'm really glad your kids will be with you at the hospital. It's such a relief to have someone with you all the time who can speak for you if your asleep or can't articulate things right. It's also nice to have someone over night in case you need help walking to the bathroom, etc. You'll do great!!

Shell
      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
      2003- 33 degrees
      2005- 37 degrees
      2006- 44 degrees
      May 2007- 47 degrees
      December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
      Fused T1 to L2
      Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Susan, you're gonna do great!

I know you're scared, but remember, as we've talked about, most of that fear comes from the unknown. You can combat a LOT of that with faith (which I know you're doing).

Your attitude is POSITIVE, you expect a POSITIVE outcome, and I can't even tell you how much that counts .

Having your kids there to make sure you receive the right care, and any pain is addressed effectively is huge. You have faith in your surgeon, you're ready to have all this behind you and reclaim your life ... all those things give you a head start to a great result going in. I have no doubt you'll tap reserves of strength and bravery you never knew existed ... I've *already* seen them building.

An aside - in regard to the prayer debate going on, I put the word out to my Mom about your surgery, the dates, your name ... and if there's any validity to Susie's theory, my Mother and her "widder wemmin" posse are who you want on your side - LOL ... they're a formidable, faithful bunch! Whether I buy it or not, it certainly can't hurt, right?

I have Matt's cell, and although I know you were going to give him mine, I'll buzz him this weekend just to touch base - and so he can trap mine in his phone if need be. Please tell him update regularly or prepare to be stalked, hehe.

We'll talk before Monday, but you KNOW you'll be on my mind constantly.

Love ya, girlfriend. Hang in there!

Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Susan,

Good luck. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. LOL at getting yourself all dolled up, that's a really good idea. I've never done waxing before, but maybe I should consider it.

I'll be waiting to hear how well you are doing. Take care.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Good luck Chi-Mama! I'll be thinking of you. Remember, all the cool people are fused T10-L5.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Susan,
              I got a chuckle out of your post also. You will look beautiful, but after Monday, you won't even care. I have been praying for you already and will continue to do so. I know you will do just great. I am so glad you don't have to be fused to the sacrum. I'm looking forward to hearing about your recovery. Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hey Susan!

I'm so glad to hear you are pampering yourself! It isn't for on the operating table you want to look fabulous it is for the first time you stand up straight and tall and shuffle past the bathroom mirror!

You are going to be fine. You will look back at all the worry you put yourself through and realise it was unfounded. At least I felt this way and so did quite a few others. Remember I am cheering for you.
                All the best, Suzy

Comment

Aw...you guys!

You are all such a tremendous bunch!

Susie, bless you and thanks for being such a sweetheart and bless you for the prayers.

Pam, you flat out brought tears to my eyes. Your POSITIVE support has been the biggest help, you have no idea. And, bring on dem widder wemmin!

Briarrose...I'm so glad you're doing so well and can't wait until I can say the same.

Debbei...I promise to help you get to the "other side" in any way I can...I just gotta get there first...*gulp*!

Singer...Hahahahaha...we are The Bomb. We be da cool ones, yep!

Suzy...keep that phone number handy this weekend!

and Sally, thanks for the good thoughts.

More later...I'm sure as I get closer to Monday, I'll be needing you all for sure.

Much love,
                  Susan

P.S. the leg waxing hurt like a mother but man-oh-man am I SMOOTH!
                  Susan
                  XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

I'll be thinking of you too. Already started the prayers. Just remember when you are going thru dark days that you aren't alone. Even with all those incisions you'll still be beautiful from the inner strength and humor that you have. God bless!

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom
                      An aside - in regard to the prayer debate going on, I put the word out to my Mom about your surgery, the dates, your name ... and if there's any validity to Susie's theory, my Mother and her "widder wemmin" posse are who you want on your side - LOL ... they're a formidable, faithful bunch! Whether I buy it or not, it certainly can't hurt, right?
                      That is too funny. While I am with you, Pam, regarding not necessarily "buying in" to the theory, whenever anyone needs a prayer I tell them I will get my mom on it. She knows all the priests by name (heck, she's certainly there enough). So, I'm afraid the "widder wemmin" posse has some competition.

So, Susan - In the "it sure can't hurt" category, I will give mom your name as well so when she makes her morning pit stop on Monday, she can say a special prayer. Imagine, these women know you are having surgery for the same condition their child/grandchild has - so lookout upstairs and get ready for some heavy prayer vibes on Monday morning!

Hang in there - before you know it you will be on the other side!
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com
                      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hi

I see someone is fixin to kick scoli's butt! I have been 2 busy to watch the forum but my wife is keepin up with all you gals and both of us are rootin for you. Now those smooth legs may distract the surgeon a bit but we are sure et. is going to be just fine and Tuesday you'll be hollerin for a cheeseburger! Better lay off the cheese for a while though!
                        Prayers n Best Wishes,
                        Chris n Cathy

Comment

Hi Susan,

Wishing you restful sleep tonight and tomorrow night, a calm and anxiety free mind on Monday morning and comfort in the knowledge that so many of us here on the FORUM will be in your corner. Savor the weekend and let go of the TO DO LIST items. You have put your faith and trust in the hands of the people who will be doing all the heavy lifting. Your job is to stay mentally strong and looking toward the future. Memory blurs with time (isn't that what people say about childbirth?), and you will soon be on the other side of your surgeries and walking with your little chihuahua pal.

Good Luck,
                          Linda W.
                          Linda
                          Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                          S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                          Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                          Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Working...
                          X