View Full Version : Skoshi314 Surgery Update

06-09-2008, 09:37 PM
It is done............Now we start the recovery.

Hello All,

This is Becky's husband. She asked before surgery that I post her results following surgery. She did very welll and had an excellent surgery team at one of the best specialty hospitals. Surgery started at 8:30. The sugeon and assistant came out at 3:30 and gave me the results including seeing the xrays of the new hardware. They hoped to correct the curve from 60 degrees to 30 degrees. Looking at the xray the correction looked great and looks to be about 15 degrees, if it stays at that. Becky is now almost 5 hours in her room after surgery and recovery room. She is resting for periods of time until becoming uncomfortable. Pain is primarily on right side from fromnt to back. Adjusting positions sometimes helps in conjunction with the pain medicine.

This forum has been a tremendous help and support to
Becky. We both extend our appreciation to each of you who have provide information and support.

Thanks for all the prayers and may god bless you, protect you and provide his hand for healing.


06-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Tell her I said woo-hoo! Believe it or not, she's past the toughest part (actually doing it).

Go, Becky!


06-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Oh please give her a "gentle", huge hug from Geish and tell her I am so proud of her and thinking of her.. Let her know it will continue to get better from here on out. We are all here for her. Stay strong Becky!

06-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Congrats to Becky on her surgery. Welcome to the "other side." Sounds like she's doing really well. In no time, she will be up & around. Please send her our best & tell her that our thoughts & prayers are with her for a very speedy recovery.

06-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Dear Becky,

Congratulations on a very successful surgery and correction. You will be thrilled. Although you hurt now, each day will get better and better. We will look forward to hearing about your progress. My turn is next Monday. I thought of you yesterday and it was great to hear the good news from your husband.

06-10-2008, 06:40 AM
That's great news, Rusty. Thanks so much for posting--I had wondered yesterday when/if we might hear how it went, although I thought she had said you would post. Tell Becky I'm really proud of her too, and know how difficult early recovery is. She has a lot of spunk, so I know she'll face the challenges ahead well-- starting with those there in the hospital--sitting and walking and physical therapy. The first 3 weeks are hard work, but you can see lots of progress then too. It's still hard work after that, but gets a lot better. :) Please give her a gentle hug from me, and let her know that I've been praying for her. (And for you too-- you have a difficult task as well!) If you have time, please keep us updated with how things are going. Thanks again, Susie

06-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Becky slept a couple of time for 3 hours, not counting the 2 hour interuptions for turning over. This morning they put on her brace and got her up to walk. She sat in a chair for 20 minutes and back to bed. They changed her to oral pain medication before walking. She slept about 3 hours, only to be awaken again to walk.

Her pain level has decreased on oral meds. She has had a good day with visitors and rest. She wants you all to know that she loves you and appreciates the great support you have given her and are continuing to provide. You have given her the strength and knowledge to make the huge jump into surgery.

Her post procedure xray looks great, with only a little curve between the rods. She is anxious to get a picture of the xray and post the before and after xrays.

We thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Without this forum, I do not know if we would have had the courage, let alone the peace of mind, to go through with the procedure. The recovery road ahead may be hilly but we know we are not taveling it alone.

Rusty and Becky

06-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Becky slept a couple of time for 3 hours, not counting the 2 hour interuptions for turning over. This morning they put on her brace and got her up to walk. She sat in a chair for 20 minutes and back to bed. They changed her to oral pain medication before walking. She slept about 3 hours, only to be awaken again to walk.

Every time she gets up for a while - or walks for a bit - things will improve ... slowly but surely!

Y'all hang in there :). Looking forward to more good news soon.


06-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Wow it's Friday already! I'm posting this from my phone so it will probably be short. I was moved to rehab hospital yesterday and what a difference. I'll try to elaborate later but as a hint: I want to go back to the Spine Hospital!
The only thing still attached to me is the drain. Hopefully that can come out today. I can't even begin to tell you how pleased I am with the correction. I
I look like I'm 6 months pregnant though. I think I read somewhere that happens but I'm just too medicated to look for it right now. Once the swelling is down it should be great.
I'm going to drift off into medication land now. When get a laptop up here I'll post more. Thank you all for your support and love.

06-13-2008, 06:28 AM
It's wonderful to hear from you! It sounds like you are doing well! Yes, the abdominal swelling comes with the territory and will subside after awhile, so don't worry about that. Sorry the rehab experience isn't as nice as the hospital one... it probably won't be too long till you go home, so remember that. And the more you do (as in walking, physical therapy, etc.) the sooner you'll be feeling some better and able to do more. It's a fine line between resting up (what we want to do) and being more active (pushing yourself a little, but not too hard.) Keep up the hard work! I'm proud of you!!! Remember, I am praying for you. Sending lots of gentle hugs and love your way, Susie

06-13-2008, 05:03 PM

I was so glad to see your post! You are doing great being able to think straight enough to write! I think my valium dose was too high I was too stupid to talk let alone write! LOL!! Thank Rusty for us, he did a great job keeping us up dated. Call me when you can, Suzy

06-13-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm now at the end of day 4 of recovery and I'm really discouraged. I will NEVER take being 'regular' for granted again. I became constipated at the Spine Hospital and you don't even want to know what all it took to take care of business. It now appears I'm in the same boat again and this time, since I'm at the rehab hospital I will be given 'The Bomb' which is equal parts of prune juice and milk of magnesia warmed up. Mmmmmmm yummy! I don't care as long as it works. I honestly look 8 months pregnant and on Tuesday morning my stomach was flat. The pulling to the front by the bloat is making my back hurt even worse (like it needed an excuse to hurt more). Please everyone, send good happy vibes my way!

Sorry to be a downer but things seem kinda bleak right now. Thanks for the warm wishs. You all are wonderful!

06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
I am soooo jealous! Prune juice and milk of magnesia, and warm no less! Sounds delish! LOL I am so sorry, but I do promise it will get better. I know it seems bleak right now but by this time next week I am sure you will feel more like your old self, only straight! I'm thinking of and I know you can do this. We 40 somethings have to stick together! Hugs!

06-14-2008, 05:49 AM
Oh my Beck--I sure hope that 'Bomb' works! It's probably worked by now, hopefully! Fingers crossed over here! The only time I've ever had that problem is after my kids were all born, and I remember how uncomfortable it was. And I didn't have a back all cut up at the time.

Take care of yourself, and I hope 'things' start working better :)

06-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks, Debbe. It was decided by the powers that be to attack this from, um, both angles. So in the wee hours of the morning we did just that. Man, do I know how to live it up or what? Hopefully this will work. At the very least I'm getting lots of great logrolling practice!

Alicia, delish is one way of putting it. In all fairness to prune juice it isn't completely disgusting. Personally I think the mag citrate I had to drink the other day was worse. Please keep those gentle hugs coming!

06-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Real Great You're Doing OK! Have been real busy lately and my wife is the one keepin up. Don't let the rehap folks push you too hard. I have to run!
Prayers n Best Wishes,
Chris n Cathy

06-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi Becky,

Congratulations on your successful surgery and for having all your wits about you so soon. You are doing exceptionally well, in my opinion! They practically had to call out the National Guard to get me to poop 10 days after my surgery. Stock up on MiraLax -- it's absolutely the best laxative around and you can take it for months if you need to. Continued good luck to you!

loves to skate
06-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi Becky,

I had that delicious bomb and still had to have a ducolax suppository to get things moving. :eek: You are doing great to have your wits about you. I couldn't even figure out how to use the television remote or my cell phone for several days. Take care, Sally

06-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi Becky,

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I can completely relate to the bathroom problems as I'm still having some trouble. I didn't go until day 9, shortly after I got home from the hospital. I took a very long list of things in the hospital that didn't work and then drank a bottle of magnesium citrate when I got home which did the trick. Are you on percocet? My doctor said that is the most constipating drug. I switched to vicodin a couple of days ago and have been a little better.


06-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Wow, what a long week. My computer has been part of the problem but in all honesty I've just not felt like posting. All I've wanted to do was try to find a comfortable position and lick my wounds. But, I finally decided I'm gonna have to force myself back into the real world, so here I am!

The rehab hospital was such a completely opposite experience from the Spine Hospital. The care at the Spine Hospital was so amazing. The nurses were caring and constantly checking on me. I would never hesitate to recommend the facility to anyone.

The rehab facility is not considered an acute care facility so the nurse response time to a call is a bit slow. The physical and occupational therapists were really pretty good. All in all, it was an ok stay. It was better than being sent home 4 days post op and poor Rusty having to figure out what to do for me!

I was released last Tuesday and came home. I seem to have gotten a handle of the regularity thing but what a trip that's been! The drain was finally removed last Thursday during an appointment with the surgeon. He also removed all the bandages and steri-strips. That felt absolutely amazing! The scar looks really good. My stomach swelling is gone and the swelling in my back is slowly going down. My biggest problem right now is trying to get the pain meds to keep me consistently comfortable. I do pretty well for several hours but start to hurt pretty bad before it's time for my next dose. I guess I'll call the doc tomorrow for some suggestions. I'm also not sleeping great except when I take Ambien but I don't have many of them left.

I am a bit curious if anyone else had trouble staying comfortable temperature wise. It seems one minute I'm hot and sweaty and the next minute I'm freezing. There just doesn't seem to be a happy medium. Did anyone else have this problem?

It's really great to have my computer back so I can be in touch with you all. I've missed you!

06-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Becky-- thanks so much for the update! I had barely gotten home from the hospital by this time after my surgery, so I think you are doing fantastic to be posting! Sorry the rehab hospital was not that great... I bet it feels so great to be home! It's good to hear that most things are getting back to normal-- and yes, I've read many, many posts that talked of how people either froze or were too hot, or went back and forth between the two. So your temperature regulator being whacky is really normal. Sorry. :( Hope you can get the meds figured out better. It seems like there's so much trial and error testing involved. And we've sure missed you too! (Even though Rusty was so good at letting us know what was happening.) It's wonderful to have you back posting! :D

06-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Susie Bee for the welcome back. I've decided that just about everything about this deal is trial and error. I do believe that each day is one day closer to being completely healed and that makes it worth putting one foot in front of the other.

I think part of the temperature problem is my brace. It's quite warm even in a very chilly house. So I perspire and my undershirt gets damp and then I get chilled. I think the key is to change the shirt often. Makes for a lot of laundry but I think that will help.

I've been married to Rusty for 22 years and he's always been so sweet and supportive. He was so much help after the birth of all three kids and anytime I've been sick, he's taken wonderful care of me. But this is different. There aren't words to explain how wonderful he has been. He has taken such great care of me and has handled every whine like it was so important. I'm a very lucky woman!

I'm hoping to add some before and after pics and x-rays later, but I feel a nap coming on. Maybe I can get that done later today.

06-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Yesterday was the 2 week post-op mark and I celebrated it by going to the park with my mom and youngest daughter so she could feed the ducks. I was out for about and hour by the time we stopped and bought the duck bread, got a snack at Sonic and finally got to the park. By the time I got home I was totally wiped out but the fresh air had been wonderful. I was in quite a lot of pain later in the evening but managed to sleep well once the meds kicked in.

I'm getting around pretty well, but I'm so very tired of this brace. It's going to take some serious self-determination to make myself wear it for the full 3 months. :( All in all I think I'm doing good, I'm just getting impatient. I need to call my surgeon today and find out when I can drive. I think that will help.

Thank you everyone, again, for the good thoughts during surgery and after. They have been more comfort than you will ever know!

06-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi ya Becky!

As for the no driving... I think it is due to the meds some of us are on. I was able to drive once I backed off the Valium. You are ONLY 2 weeks out MS. IMPATIENT! LOL! I thought I was the scoliosis poster child (untill Pam came along with her great recovery.) and I drove at 5 weeks. I did cheat though, I have a back up camera. That to this day is about all I can't do with ease, twist around to look when I back up. (If in a different car.) You can always pull through a parking spot in the beginning when you are out driving so that it wouldn't be an issue.

Time for your great attitude to kick in regarding your brace wearing. O.K. 3 months right? Well, remember how long a pregnancy is? 3 months not so bad Huh? It is going to be over before you know it. Think back three months prior to your surgery, didn't that date arrive before you knew it? You are going to LOVE putting that great new torso into new clothes, start a wish list as you look through magazines. The hardest part is behind you.

I was going to give you a call but thought you might be resting, guess not!You probably won't be home!!

06-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks, Mom. I needed a good scolding! And you're right, 3 months isn't that long. I was just having quite a pity party today but thanks to you wonderful people, I'm feeling better.

Thanks again for the encouraging words. I'm about to head to bed, but give me a call anytime. I don't really feel the need for naps during the day, just resting spells. I am sleeping very well at night so that could be why I don't feel the need to nap.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Love ya,