Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

I have been a member for over a month now, had some troubles connecting so that I can post, but FINALLY I am here!

I wanted to post before my surgery, but well now I am 16 days post op!!
    Doing ok so far, have had some pressure point pains, and stiffness, and not able to get out and walk because it is well over 103 here everyday the last 8 days!

My surgery was done at Baylor by Dr. Shelakov, and was successful. I was fused from T1 to T12 and the surgery was just under 4 hours. My stay in the hospital was just 7 days, and I required no rehab.

I am battling low grade fevers that last 3 days (99.0 to 99.7 where my normal is 98.0) and just complete exhaustion, and am just praying it isn't more than that.

Glad to finally be on the board, and as soon as I'm more awake and aware I'll post again.
    My One Crooked Momma blog
    Fused T1-L1 May 21st 2008
    From 51* to STRAIGHT! Thanks Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor

Welcome! It sounds like you are doing great. I hope the fever stays away and that you continue to improve.

Take care of yourself,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're doing really well. I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly and that you're able to take some walks soon. I know that walking really helped my son. Maybe you could find an indoor track to use if it doesn't cool off where you live?
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Originally posted by laurieg6
        Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're doing really well. I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly and that you're able to take some walks soon. I know that walking really helped my son. Maybe you could find an indoor track to use if it doesn't cool off where you live?
        Walking ... YES! I totally contribute my accelerated recovery to it. Start with short ones, but drag your a** up every day and do *something*. Trust me on this.
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Thank you all!
          I am walking in the house (thank goodness for circular floor plans!) and do 15 minute spurts twice a day...also I've gotten out the past couple of mornings before it's too hot and again last night...the wind kicked up two days ago so it cools it down at least 15 degrees!

I am having weird popping in my back when I lay down, my neck pops when I move my head when I'm laying on my back, and I have this weird sensation in my lower back, like I can feel my spine, sometimes it's a slight warm burn, sometimes a cool sensation, and sometimes a sticking pain. I cannot quiet pinpoint what it is or where seeing the pain patch numbs some areas and my nerves are numb in others.

Otherwise I feel so great it's just crazy I'm 2.5 weeks post op...i really couldn't have imagined myself doing so much so soon! Being able to make my kiddos smoothies the other night really made me feel like a mom, and it's something i felt i was missing out on being so tired and weak!

I have blogged for a few months about my surgery, and its benditback.blogspot.com
          Last edited by mmw; 06-08-2008, 12:11 PM.
          My One Crooked Momma blog
          Fused T1-L1 May 21st 2008
          From 51* to STRAIGHT! Thanks Dr. Shelokov @ Baylor

Comment

Working...
          X