Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Year Post-op today

Hi all,

I haven't been on the forum as much as I have been because I had been in the midst of studying and passing my doctoral exams. I am 1 year post-op today and can't believe that the year has past!! For those of you going into surgery or considering it, the recovery does get better, I promise. I am still in some pain at one year and have nerve damage in my leg, but all in all, I would say I'm doing pretty well. I even managed to hike 3 miles in and out of the Grand Canyon last week - one of my 1 year goals!

After one year, I can safely say that I am glad I did the surgery and I am ready to keep moving on with my life and getting even better. I thank all the people on here who remind me (and others) that one year is actually not that long to recover and it does keep getting better. We are all survivors and I hope those of us who have gone through the surgery can help and encourage others who are going through it.

Best,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Congratulations on your milestone!!! I'm so glad you are doing so well in your recovery and hope it continues full-speed ahead. Please keep us posted.
    Good luck,
    JoAnn

Comment

Congratulations, Anya! Hiking in the Grand Cayon is an excellent way to mark your one-year anniversary. You are so right to note that one year is really not all that long to recover and that we will continue to improve over the coming months and years.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Anya!

I was so glad to see your post and hear that you are doing well, and I even went to your blog and saw your beautiful picture. The Grand Canyon - that was a wonderful 1 year goal! Can't believe it's one year already....I remember watching for your posts as I was nervously awaiting my own surgery.

Wow, and congratulations!
        31 year old female
        55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
        T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
        Xray, 3 mos. post-op
        Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

High Five!

Hi Anya,

Congratulations on reaching your One-Year Anniversary and your educational goals! Your trip to the Grand Canyon and three-mile hike in and out of the canyon are really impressive. I hope you will plan something special each year to celebrate your anniversary.

Linda W.
          Linda
          Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
          S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
          Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
          Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

whoo hoo!

Way to go, Anya! I'm so proud of your hard work and accomplishments!!! It's amazing that you have come so far and done so well in both your recovery and your pursuit of that doctoral degree. Wow! Congratulations!!! I loved seeing the blog entry and pic of you at the Grand Canyon. It sounds like you are handling your present challenges well, are able to do so much, and are enjoying your life. Here's to continued progress and a wonderful rest of your life! Keep us posted! Hugs, Susie
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
            X