Brace Fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brace Fatigue

I have started to wear a brace again at the age of 51 ( soft front TLSO )as my scoliosis has deteriorated with age and I was suffering with extreme back ache that required me to lay down after 2 or 3 hours and very bad posture .

I developed scolosis at the age of 14 following a spinal injury that left me a paraplegic T7 . Whilst in hospital/rehab I wore a Boston Brace full time which I hated and once home I become less complient finally stopping wearing at around 17 .

Over the years my back has become more curved and hips very twisted due to constant wheelchair use . I am trying hard to adapt to the brace now as my posture is much better, the dull constant ache has gone and unlike my previious brace is almost undectable when worn. I find I can go about 6-8 hours before I feel very uncomfortable in the brace and have an aching ribcage when I resort to remove it only then to suffer from back ache and want support again.

Any advice would be welcome as to ways to extend my wearing period

Thanks

i hope everything works out well for you... good luck, and remember, smile EVERY chance you get.
    Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
    I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
    My curves were 30 and 31
    I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
    I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
    I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
    I want to meet some new people on this forum!
    Don't be shy...
    Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Oh, I wish I had some magic words of advice for you, Braced. I was blessed, because although I was born with severe scoliosis, I was never in the pain you describe.

My spine is getting weaker though as I age (I'm 72 now), and with osteoporosis, my bones are less dense too. I take a medication for that now and it actually builds bone, and I have improved, according to my last scan. It's called FORTEO. I assume you don't have osteoporosis though, or do you?

All I can say is to follow doctor's orders, do the best you can, don't baby yourself, and stay positive. Think of yourself as fully healed....don't give up that picture of yourself in your mind. Think of the times when you were at your best, and focus on that. Know that you have a mission in life, and that is to do your best and to inspire others to do the same.

I wish you well, braced, and as sparkle girl says, smile every chance you get.

Gerry
      TIMING IS EVERYTHING!

Comment

Thanks for the support ,

I am now getting used to the brace after 5 months . I did have a small adjustment by my orthotist and I am now wearing it almost 2 inches tighter than when I started . I find this helps as my body does not twist around inside the brace.

I now wear it a minimum of 12 hours a day and the discomfort that I was having has gone . I still wake up in the morning with back ache but I put my brace on as soon as I get up only taking it off to shower and dress .

I am finding that I have more energy to do things as I am not thinking about my aches anymore . I don't even think about the brace and forget I am wearing it until I try to bend my body and find I can't .

Overall my apperance is much better and I am not self conscious about my shape being twisted as it was before and the brace is not detectable .

My only regrets are that I did not follow the brace program when I was younger or I did not go back into a brace sooner . I would advise anyone who is advised to wear a brace to follow the instructions as you will regret it later in life .
        Last edited by braced; 08-11-2008, 07:56 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
        X