PDA

View Full Version : One year checkup looks good

Singer
06-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Just wanted to say that in spite of my ongoing paranoia about injuring myself (!), my new x-rays showed that everything is fine and according to Boachie, I am "fully fused." You can actually see on the films where the bone grafts have taken. Also, my thoracic compensatory curve, which originally measured at around 28 degs., straightened out big-time and now measures 10 degrees. I grew another quarter of an inch and now tower over the average person at a whopping 4'-11 and ONE HALF. :cool:

I asked him what movements or activities I should never do again and he said: bending from side to side, twisting, and jogging. He said gardening probably wasn't a good idea at this point -- one of the issues with me as that he used very thin rods on the posterior portion of my surgery because of my size and I need to avoid repetitive bending-over type movements.

So I don't see him again for a year. Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement throughout this past year . Maybe now I can relax a little, learn to trust my back, and spend less time on the internet!

Susie*Bee
06-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Chris-- that is wonderful news! I'm so glad you got such a good report. And WOW! a whole year before you need another check-up. That is terrific! It sounds like our restrictions are very similar. And you got me laughing about your towering stature... those half-inches are VERY important when you are on the lower end of the totem pole... and you even got an additional 1/4" out of your continued straightening. Way to go!

I hope that you will truly enjoy that "relaxing" part now. Keep in touch! Best wishes for moving on from the surgery/recovery. :) Susie

CHRIS WBS
06-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Chris,

Congratulations on an outstanding report and continued success and best wishes as you move on with your life with your healthier back.

Chris

debbei
06-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Chris,

Congratulations on your good news!! You must be breathing a sigh of relief. You are right, just start enjoying life now and have fun. You should celebrate!!

I so get you with enjoying another half inch. I used to be 5'2.5", and I NEVER EVER said I was simply 5'2". Unfortunately, now I'm only 5'1.5 :( But hopefully I will get at least my one inch back, maybe more. :)

lelc2002@yahoo
06-03-2008, 09:44 AM
wonderful news Chris!
You will find you get more stamina as you past the 1 yr mark! It can only get better & better!
Lynne :)

Suzy
06-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Congrats Chris! It has been a bit longer road for you and I am so happy you have met this milestone with such great improvement. Lynne is correct, believe it or not you will get better yet! I thought by my 1 yr. mark that I was at a great recovery. Then at 1 1/2 yr mark looked back 6 mo. and realised I had still improved! I don't jog, never did. Can't quite understand why people do.... I think with time you will be able to garden. You just might to stay down in one spot when you are doing it and do another area later. I did it that way in the beginning and did well. You will get back to more activities as time goes on, you will just do them a bit different. No more paranoia, O.K? All the best, Suzy

Janet
06-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah Chris !!!!! What a fantastic birthday present! You did have such a tough time and I don't think you were being paranoid when thinking of all the things that might/could be wrong. This forum and our families and friends are THE place to express our fears and concerns.

Hugs,
Janet

Linda W
06-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Chris,

Thanks for sharing your great news and and the fact that you have gained that extra HALF INCH! You have been a real trooper this last year. I hope you have a very special celebration planned.

Linda W.

Singer
06-04-2008, 06:22 AM
Thank you everyone!!