Pre Surgery relaxation books/cd's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre Surgery relaxation books/cd's

Has anybody ever purchased or used books or relaxation CD's specific to pre-surgery? I've seen a few, one on espine.com and another that I'm interested in at Amazon. Can anyone comment or know anything about this book or relation CD......Peggy Huddleston's Prepare for surgery, heal faster?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Any thoughts/comments or names of other helpful books are appreciated.
    Susan
    XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Hi there! I would highly, highly recommend Peggy Huddleston's "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster". Reading the book really helped me put things in perspective as well as think about the whole surgery situation differently, and the CD was *priceless* in relaxing me and helping me sleep peacefully in the weeks before surgery. In fact, I still use the CD now when I'm having trouble relaxing or sleeping.

I followed her advice on creating healing statements for myself, and took them with me on surgery day. I don't know for sure that anyone read them to me as I requested, but it made me feel better before-hand to think that they might
    31 year old female
    55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
    T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
    Xray, 3 mos. post-op
    Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Thank you so much Susan. I have ordered mine already along with the CD. I also ordered a swivel cushion last week from Amazon and it arrived. It is great and works on chairs and the car. I thought it would be good to have post-op.

Comment

I whole heartedly recommend Peggy Huddleston's book and cd. I truly believe that they helped me act like less of a nut case when anxiety threatened to get the better of me. I even put the relaxation cd on my iPod so I could take it with me and listen to it while I waited for appointments or preop testing.

Many of the Boston area hospitals offer seminars using her book and cd's. New England Baptist Hospital, where I had my surgery, even paid for a phone session with one of the instructors who had been trained by Peggy. I brought copies of my Healing Statements with me on the days of my surgeries and asked the OR nurse and anaestheologist to read them to me during my surgeries. They were very used to this request, and I do believe that they read them to me.

Good Luck!
        Linda W.
        Linda
        Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
        S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
        Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Thanks you guys

I ordered it from Amazon (both book and CD) and will have it by next Tuesday...13 days away from my surgery....which is okay too, it just means I have something to read and take my time, and listen to when I go to sleep at night.

I'm very interested in what the messages the Anesthesiologists are supposed to whisper to you while knocked out. That concept is interesting. Not entirely sure it's effective, but what the hey? $24 bucks can't hurt, right?

Either way, I had this thought after posting this question...is there any 'Exchange' on this website? It occurred to me that we could resell, or donate any aids or things that helped us first time surgery folks to the next generation...so to speak.

I have many, many thank you's to say after my surgery...especially to those Scoliosis Surgery Conquerors who have helped me tame my anxiety. You know who You Are but I will absolutely mention you by name one of these days soon, as there are a whole Posse of 'em...those of the Positive Vibes.

Cheers to the SSC! Raising my glass of Chard to you all, and bless you.
          Susan
          XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Working...
          X