Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any info. on Dr. Emans for adolescent scoliosis???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info. on Dr. Emans for adolescent scoliosis???

Our son was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 10 with a single curve. He has been followed and is now 13. His scoliosis has had a big jump this year and we are being told surgery is needed. His curve has progressed to 54T 38L. Does anyone have knowledge of Dr. Emans in Boston with regard to adolescent scoliosis? I have seen many posts mentioning his experience with infants/ped. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Dr. Emans has lots of experience with adolescent scoliosis, in addition to his expertise with infants/young children/congenital issues. I think a huge percentage of his practice is scoliosis. Adolescent scoliosis is more common than infants/young children with scoliosis so he has lots of experience based on numbers alone. That's not the only reason, but says a lot about him. I would trust him with my child's life, absolutely. You are in great hands, IMHO.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

re:

Carmell,

Thank you very much. I'm glad to hear that Dr. Emans has so much experience with adolescent scoliosis. I guess our son is in good hands.

Thanks,
      Patty

Comment

I agree with Carmell. Dr. Emans seems to be among the best pediatric orthos in the country. His name, along with a handful of others, comes up all the time and he seems to be at the forefront of scoliosis treatment and research. I also know a few people who were treated by either him or Dr. Hresko at Children's Hospital of Boston and they were all extremely pleased.
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hi-
          Dr. Emans diagnosed my son's scoliosis in Aug 07. I would feel very confident in your decision to see Dr. Emans, he truly is well respected by both patients and colleagues. He has extensive experience with adolescent scoliosis, and I would consider him among the best.
          He performed a spinal fusion last summer on a young dancer I know - she is now doing great. Back to dancing - ballet, jazz, tap, etc - and feeling great. Her scar is hardly noticeable - what I would call hairline.
          We now see Dr. Hresko at Children's Hospital Boston because he is the only dr there performing Vertebral Stapling, which Dr. Emans encouraged us to try.
          I sent you a Private Message with some other info.
          Best of luck!
          -Cara
          Cara, Mom to Nathan
          Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
          Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
          VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
          Dr. Hresko
          40 Degrees before VBS
          11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Hi Pat,

I've been a patient of Dr. Emans for about 7 years now and would highly recommend him : ) He was the first doctor I met after being diagnosed with scoliosis around age 13; I'm almost 20 now. Fortunately, being braced allowed my scoliosis to stabilize, avoiding the need for surgery (for now anyways). If you have any questions about his service please let me know. Even though I can't give you much feedback on surgery to correct curves, Dr. Emans did perform my surgery to remove a tumor I had in my lumbar area. My parents were extremely happy with his care and appreciated the fact that he himself updated them throughout my 4 hours surgery. He takes the extra step in explaining everything and also is easy to contact through e-mail with any questions. I visit him frequently for other spinal issues and he always sends any test results through e-mail asap so I don't have to wait too long (he has learned how impatient I can get waiting for my results : ) ). Any questions you have please feel free to ask! I'd be happy to help. Dr. Emans has been a great help to me over the years, and I'd be happy to recommend him to anyone.

Francesca : )
            Francesca
            19 years old College Soph
            Diagnosed: 6th grade (can't remember curve degrees)
            Boston Brace 2000-2002, 23/7...
            Curves reside at 35T and 33L
            Aug 2002: Osteoid Osteoma (tumor) removed from L3
            Jan 26.. diagnosed with slow progressing DDD and sacroiliitis.. get fitted for my new SI Belt on the 31st

Comment

Thanks for taking time to respond

Hi all,

Thank you so much to all of you who have responded to my message. Dr. Emans seem to be has a lot of experience and great reputation. I feel more confidence for selecting him as my son’s surgeon.

Thanks,
              Pat

Comment

Working...
              X