Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling good 1 week post-op but question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling good 1 week post-op but question...

Hey everybody,
    Today I'm one week postop from my revision surgery. After a CT scan my surgeon thought that there were probably numerous areas of my back that didn't fuse...once he opened me up he could clearly see that only the top most level and bottom most level fused...nothing else did. But he has high hopes that using my own bone and using less pediatric approaches will fix me up all good.

I got to go home Monday evening after I finally started to keep liquid down...I was throwing everything up for the first several days...it happened to me last time too...I think my body doesn't react well to anesthesia very well.

I do have a question though...I have some numbness on the bottom of my left foot. The doctor's don't think it's permanent but it's quite annoying. Stretching it or having someone massage it makes it feel more normal but only for a few minutes. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I might make this go away quicker.

Thanks for all you prayers and support this last week!!! I really appreciate it!!!
    20 year old college student
    Pre-op: 3 curves (30-50-30 degrees)
    Spinal Fusion: T4-L1 June 2005
    Broken rod/failed fusion found Jan. 2007
    Revision surgery:May 21, 2008 - Dr Tribus @ UW Hospital in Madison (found only 2 levels fused from previous surgery)

Katie-- it's great to know you're home and doing pretty well. Hopefully your stomach is all settled down now. Glad to hear your surgeon has high hopes for success with your revision. I'm sorry, but I don't have any answers about your foot numbness problem. Hopefully it will get feeling back soon. Hope to hear again from you soon, with more good news. Take care! Big hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hello,

I really don't have any answers for you since all of this is new to me, but I just wanted to say I hope you're feeling better soon, and the numbness subsides.

In the meantime, if you have volunteers for foot rubs, take them up on it as much as you can! Have you tried a heating pad on your foot? I know it's way different, but heat always makes all my aches and pains feel better, even if it's just temporary.

Take care of yourself,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

loves to skate

Hi,

I also have numbness on the bottom of both feet. As the day wears on though, I start getting pain in my feet and my right ankle. My Dr. tells me that the pain is caused by the nerves trying to regenerate. I would take the numbness over the pain any day. I also wonder how long this process takes, although I suspect it is different with everyone. I hope your numbness goes away without having to go through the pain.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
        X