Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 months - an update

Hi everyone,

I had my 6 month post-op visit today, and all looks good. One of the residents said he could see a little bit of fusion in the xray, but the surgeon said that you really can't tell without an MRI and that the fact that the hardware is stable means I'm probably fused. I'm cleared to do whatever I want. I asked specifically about jet skiing because of a vacation to the lake planned for this weekend, and he said that was fine, just try not to get thrown off (which could twist me suddenly).

In other news, I've been going to the gym every day, doing an hour of cardio and alternating between upper and lower body weights, and going to yoga about once a week - it's my own mini-boot camp. Also, I'm nearly done with my master's thesis (just one more proof read to go!). So that's the news.

Best to all of you, and thanks for your support
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Double high five!

Vindy,

Congratulations on your good report and wonderful progress! You are a fine example for all of us on staying focused and reaching your personal goals. PLEASE be careful and wear as much protective gear as possible if you do decide to jet ski over the weekend. Let us know how it goes.

Linda
    Linda
    Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
    S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
    Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
    Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Wow, Vndy! I'm so impressed! Congrats on the good report-- and the lifting of restrictions. Yes, have fun on your vacation but do be careful. Way to go with all the hard work of getting into shape!!! And that's super news about coming down the home stretch on your master's! I am SO proud of you!!!
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks, Linda and Susie. I promise I'll be cautious.

I got my operative report, and learned some interesting information. I lost 400cc of blood, with 150cc replaced by cell saver. I'm not sure if that's in the realm of normal or not - I assume it is since I didn't receive a transfusion. But that may explain my extremely low BP for a couple days after surgery. Also, it says I'm fused T4-T12... while I've been told it's T4-L1. A shorter fusion would be better, but I'm curious to know what is accurate so I'll probably call the office next week, and also ask if I can discontinue the bone growth stimulator.
        2000 34*L/39*T
        2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
        (initially planned T4-L1)
        12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Comment

Hi Vndy! I can't believe it's six months already!
          So pleased to hear you're doing well, and that you're just proofing your thesis! Phew! There are so many things to celebrate for you!
          I hope you have lots of fun on holiday soon, I'm worried already about the jet-ski, but you'll probably be unlikely to come off on a lake unless you hit the wake of another boat or ski. Take care!
          1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
          2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
          2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
          Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
          msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

He-ey!! Glad to hear you're doing so well in everything, especially school and exercise. I've gotten so lazy since my vacation it's embarassing....

As far as blood loss, I think I lost about 700 cc's - they did end up giving me back the unit I had donated to myself, because my blood pressure was low as well after surgery. It took about a day and a half for that to come back up to normal.

Enjoy yourself jet skiing - it's all about getting back to a regular life, and I'm glad you are able to do that. Have a good one!
            31 year old female
            55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
            T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
            Xray, 3 mos. post-op
            Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Congrats, Vndy!! You go, girl!

Comment

Working...
              X