Dr. Dumbell Strikes Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Dumbell Strikes Again

You might recall, last week I was all in a frenzy because the original NJ Dr. who I saw read my dexscan and called me saying that I have osteopenia. Today I picked up the report, faxed to Dr. Neuwirth's office, and his NP called this afternoon to tell me that I have great bone density for 46 years old, and she wished hers were this good at age 46.

This reconfirms that I totally did the right thing by getting 2nd and 3rd opinions, and I shouldn't believe a thing that dope ever tells me. I don't think he'll ever get the chance to tell me anything else ever again.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

I'm very glad you finally found some surgeons you like.

And I just have to add that I look forward to your posts... the "Dr. Dumbell" terminology makes me giggle every time.

sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Debbe,

I was given a recommendation to a good spinal surgeon for a 2nd opinion, and it is the same doctor you are talking about in your posts, Dr. Neuwirth. So far I made the call, they are mailing a packet to me and I have to get my x-rays over to their office from the other spine doctor (Dr. Agulnick in Nassau County). Dr. Neuwirth did spinal fusion on my friends mother who is in her seventies, he had to take out old instrumentation and put in new, she's now up and dancing! I don't know how long it will before I can get an appt., is it a long wait?

Great to hear your bones are sound!

Dolores
      Dolores A
      June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
      June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
      Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
      NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Originally posted by dolores a
        Hi Debbe,

I was given a recommendation to a good spinal surgeon for a 2nd opinion, and it is the same doctor you are talking about in your posts, Dr. Neuwirth. So far I made the call, they are mailing a packet to me and I have to get my x-rays over to their office from the other spine doctor (Dr. Agulnick in Nassau County). Dr. Neuwirth did spinal fusion on my friends mother who is in her seventies, he had to take out old instrumentation and put in new, she's now up and dancing! I don't know how long it will before I can get an appt., is it a long wait?

Great to hear your bones are sound!

Dolores
        Hi Dolores,

I loved Dr. Neuwirth, he really did make me feel comfortable. Hearing about what he did for a woman in her 70's, who's dancing around is a great source of inspiration!

I called and left a message, someone called me back, asked some questions to see if I would quality (at least it seemed to me), and within a day or so, they called to make an appointment, which was only about a week and a half later. I was very pleased that I could get in so quickly.

Good luck, and let me know what happens.

Comment

Hi Debbie,

I'll keep you posted. I have a question though, are you trying to find out whether or not to have the surgery, even thought you were told you will need it. The reason I am asking is, the first doctor told me I would need it as did my regular ortho. If Dr. Neuwirth determines the same thing, what will happen in the long run if I don't. I don't just mean the pain, but physically with my ribs turning toward the front of my body. I'm sure I will be more informed when I do see this new doctor and have many questions written down so I don't forget. I was just wondering if this is the point you are at?

Sorry my post is a little jumbled, just that I am starving and trying to cook dinner! I just love this forum and so glad that Dr. Agulnick highly recommended it to me.

Thanks
          Dolores
          Dolores A
          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Originally posted by dolores a
            Hi Debbie,

I'll keep you posted. I have a question though, are you trying to find out whether or not to have the surgery, even thought you were told you will need it. The reason I am asking is, the first doctor told me I would need it as did my regular ortho. If Dr. Neuwirth determines the same thing, what will happen in the long run if I don't. I don't just mean the pain, but physically with my ribs turning toward the front of my body. I'm sure I will be more informed when I do see this new doctor and have many questions written down so I don't forget. I was just wondering if this is the point you are at?

Sorry my post is a little jumbled, just that I am starving and trying to cook dinner! I just love this forum and so glad that Dr. Agulnick highly recommended it to me.

Thanks
            Dolores
            Dolores,

Please....JUMBLED??? Have you seen some of my posts lately?

Even though surgery is the last thing in the world I would want to have, I know that I must. I have 2 curves that are each over 60 degrees. I'm 46 now, and I've already shrunk an inch to 5'1". Although I guess we cannot know for sure, I remember what my maternal grandmother went through her last 10 or 15 years, all shrunken, twisted and in pain in a wheelchair. She also had bad osteoperosis, but she started off with scoliosis. It was painful to watch her. I already have pain in my back and one thigh, I can't imagine it getting any better.

So I have made my decision to have the surgery, just not who will do it. Yet.

Comment

Working...
            X