PDA

View Full Version : People make fun of me

MeAndPib
05-27-2008, 05:20 PM
I just started wearing my brace to school yesterday and people are already making fun of me!! It makes me so sad and they all wonder why I'm always in a bad mood now! What should I do?

-Lexi-

sparklegirl59
05-28-2008, 04:37 PM
are you SERIOUS??? they would be THAT low to make fun of a STUPID brace??? how retarded. don't pay any attention to them. when they say something mean, just be like, "hey, that's SO low. it's only to help me not to hurt my body cuz i'm gonna be a model when i grow up! don't you ppl have a heart at all??? apparently not cuz that's just retarded to make fun of me for following my dream!" and that's ALL you say, then be like, "wanna punch my stomach??? i promise it won't hurt." it's wut i did and it worked just fine!!! noone even cares about it they just say, "do you have your model suit on??? can i punch it again!?" i promise life at school will get a whole lot better! plus, school's almost out, so when you go back to the doctor, say "hey, i wuz talking to some girls on the nsf forums and i wuz wondering if i would be eligible to get a spinecor??? it'd be so cool." if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. i'll be happy to help you. thoughts and prayers, ~*val*~

p.s. i only suggested the whole spinecor thing cuz i want one REALLY bad and i figure nnoone will even notice about a brace, since it's so flexible and everyone will be like, "hey where's your model suit???" and then be like, "i don't need it any more because i think i've kept my body in great shape, and so does my doc!!!"

MeAndPib
05-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks Val! The really weird thing is that I actually want to be a model! :D I love this forum. I meet so much great people like you who help me. *sniff* YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! I really want a spinecor. I go for my next apt. on June 10th so I'll be sure to mention it to him. The people who make fun of me (and anyone else for that matter.) WILL be sorry one day! I believe in karma.

-Lexi ;) :o :p -

sparklegirl59
05-28-2008, 04:57 PM
that's great to hear. i'm glad i could help you out and if you ever need anything, you can just feel free to ask. any advice or anything-i'llbe here! :D well, i'll let you go. thoughts and prayers, ~*val*~

ElleBelleCurvz
05-28-2008, 08:57 PM
I believe in karma.

-Lexi ;) :o :p -

omg u sound like me! xD

That's exactly right do NOT let them bring you down. My friends thought i was being a brat and milking benefits from my brace at first, I'm not as close with THOSE friends now, but the brace REALLY shows you how people think of you. It's harsh, but you find all the good people. It makes you stronger and I know that I have ten times the willpower as them. You are exactly right though, one of these days karma WILL come back and bite them in the butt. Until then, hold your head up high and treat them with the same respect you deserve. Best of luck, braces are hard at first but it will get easier, I promise.

♥ danielle :-)

txmarinemom
05-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks Val! The really weird thing is that I actually want to be a model! :D

MeAndPib ... and all ...

Girls, there is no reason you can't be whatever, WHOMever, you want. Scoliosis - and a brace - is just a THING. Don't let it define you.

By day, I'm a database programmer.

In my spare time (including pre-fusion ... @53 thoracic) I model part time. About to do my first shoot post-op from T4-L1.

Nothing can stop you from being who you are unless YOU allow it.

Don't! :)

Regards,
Pam

MeAndPib
05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
You guys are all so helpful! :D

Danielle,
Have you read the Celestine Prophecy? If you haven't you might like it! :D
I sure hope things at school get better. There is just one person who can turn the whole class against me! Thank you!!

Pam,
You model part time!? WOW! I never really thought I COULD be a model with scoliosis and stuff, but everyone is making this so much easier on me! THANK YOU!

-Lexi :o -

Thanks everyone, I don't know how I can ever repay you!

The Slice
05-29-2008, 11:09 AM
As said, it's a good way to find out who your "real" friends are. Right now, most kids are reacting to the newness of it. It's probably much less common to see a person in a spinal brace than to see them in a cast. Right now, it's a novelty to them. Hook yourself up with those in your life and the things in your life that will build your self esteem. When you feel good about yourself, it makes it much easier to ignore, or more importantly just not pay attention to the kids who want to be insensitive to what's happening. Ignoring others when they teased me growing up was one of the hardest things to do and that was because I was so "different" (medical reasons) and because I didn't have a real good self esteem. Remember that the brace is a tool to help with the scoliosis, it DOES NOT define who you are.

TraumaScoli
05-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Lex, I have been wearing a Milwaukee brace for some time now and im pretty old and every now and then I feel the same. But I realize how the world is and how I dont want to be part of "that world". If people look at you or make fun of you, its because your different. No one in the world is the same. But many people want to be the same? Why? The whole world is different. Scoli makes me "me" it is part of me and I have to deal with it. If someone is effected by what you look like that really is there problem not yours. Stay strong girl.

Thanks for the thread. if you want to chat, leave a message. =)

kev

MeAndPib
05-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Thank You :)

Susie*Bee
05-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Lexi-- I'm hoping that as soon as the "newness" of your wearing a brace gets a little older, the kids that are giving you a bad time will forget it. You've gotten a lot of good advice from both kids and some of us that are older. Keep your chin up and be proud of yourself! You're having an adventure and making the best of a sometimes challenging situation! I'm proud of you! And "kev" is so right-- your scoli is part of you, and you are very special! :)

ElleBelleCurvz
05-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Lexi-Anyway, I hope your brace is still going well, and that you stand up strong! You have the power to create what people think of you, if you act like its no deal-most people will ignore it. :-)

MeAndPib
06-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Lexi-Anyway, I hope your brace is still going well, and that you stand up strong! You have the power to create what people think of you, if you act like its no deal-most people will ignore it. :-)

Tomorrow if someone makes fun of me I'll just ignore them. I've decided there's only two ways to go. To get better, or to get worse, so I think I'm going to go up from here! Thanks to all who helped!

-Lexi :D -

SIsForSarah
06-01-2008, 05:28 PM
I wish someone had told me the following in high school when I had to wear a brace (post-surgery) and it creaked and the other kids teased me:

High school is a time in your life when you are thrown together with a whole bunch of people who often have very little in common with each other. What ends up happening is they bond by picking on others. Once you are out of high school, and you find a job you're interested in, or you go to college and study something you're interested in, you will meet people similar to you who you will feel comfortable around - and you probably won't see the kids who picked on you anymore.

A good way to make it through high school, is to find something you're interested in, and throw yourself into it (for me, it was music). You'll meet people with a similar interest (who won't pick on you hopefully because you'll all be working toward a common goal) and you'll have an outlet for your frustration.

Kids can be mean, but use it as motivation - I don't think I'd be quite as good a piano player today, if I hadn't been so motivated :p Good luck to all of you still in high school.

Jimbo
06-19-2008, 10:55 AM
MeAndPib, I noticed your thread and had a read through it. You talked about wanting to be a model and it reminded me of a video I saw about a young girl with scoliosis becoming a model. Here is the video. I hope this helps you fulfill your dreams---->

copy an paste this in your browser...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7260000/newsid_7263800/7263896.stm?bw=nb&mp=wm&news=1&nol_storyid=7263896&bbcws=1

Oh and forget those losers who make fun of you at school. When you are older and have fulfilled your dreams they will be a distant memory.

Qikdraw
07-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Lexi

I can't say I know exactly how you feel. I wore a brace from the age of 2 till 12 when I had my surgery, (1983) so it was always with me. So how to come to terms with it in general I can't help you beyond what other people have already said.

I do know how you feel when people look at you and make fun of you. My mother said I used to come home from school crying a lot. (although I don't remember doing so) Going to a public swimming pool kids would come up to me and ask all sorts of questions, even adults. The REALLY sad part of that is that parents used to find my parents and tell them I should not be allowed to swim with their children, some of that was told to me directly. It ain't fun when that happens but, as cheesy as this sounds, it builds character. Through it I've learned to deal with difficult people, people already hostile and learned to calm them down, I've learned to bring my personality forward, and pretty soon people forget you're wearing a brace. You're just you.

I've been thinking seriously about getting a tattoo, and I'm not a tattoo person at all. People I worked with said I should go on the LA Ink tv show because my story is interesting. My tattoo idea is to show a scoliosis spine, with the words 'Strength of Character' around it. My spine has made me who I am today, and you know what? I like who I am. While life has been hard at times with it, I've decided I would not change a thing. Its through adversity we find out who we really are and that is not a bad thing.

Don't let anyone put you down, just remember you have the strength of character to pull through it, you can do whatever you want, just be yourself and realise that there is more to yourself than you have yet found.

Keep shining,

Brad

txmarinemom
07-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Funny you mention the tattoo, Brad. I've been considering having my hardware inked on my back like on the back of our AIDS Walk 2008 5K team shirts ... (color seperation pic for artwork is attached - and no ... not the ribs also - LOL)

Where some would want to cover their scar, I wear mine proudly :).

Regards,
Pam

Qikdraw
07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Funny you mention the tattoo, Brad. I've been considering having my hardware inked on my back like on the back of our AIDS Walk 2008 5K team shirts ... (color seperation pic for artwork is attached - and no ... not the ribs also - LOL)

How big would you get it? I was thinking more on my leg or shoulder.

Where some would want to cover their scar, I wear mine proudly :).

That reminded me... I was at a resort with my wife and we were sitting in the hot tub with two other couples, both much older than us, they were in their 60s or 70s. The two men were talking about their open heart surgeries and their scars for awhile, when one turns to me and says, 'Don't worry, one day you'll have scar stories too.'. I just started laughing away, turned around and showed them my two scars totalling over 2 feet in length. I just said to them I already have scar stories and have had them for 20-odd years. heh I just thought that was pretty funny.

Brad

spine'[chicka]
07-26-2008, 12:07 PM
I just started wearing my brace to school yesterday and people are already making fun of me!! It makes me so sad and they all wonder why I'm always in a bad mood now! What should I do?

-Lexi-

Hey, Lexi. Just shrug it off. The first day I wore my brace to school, I got asked if I was a football player because my shoulders were really raised. I went to the guidance office and burst into tears because I was so upset. I didn't know how to handle it, but I promise you, over time, people will start to understand. A few weeks after I had started wearing it to school, a bunch of the really popular girls in my grade were telling me it was so cool, and that my brace was sweet because it was pink. They even signed my yearbook with, 'Girl, your brace is sweet! Keep on rockin' it!' Even my friends like to try it on and fool around with it! And eventually, you may not even have to wear it to school anymore, if you do what you're supposed to. I did and after a year and a half, I'm only wearing it at night! Just be confident, people will totally adjust and eventually they'll soften up and understand more.
Hope that helps! :)

Elphsk8
09-11-2008, 06:55 PM
are you SERIOUS??? they would be THAT low to make fun of a STUPID brace??? how retarded. don't pay any attention to them. when they say something mean, just be like, "hey, that's SO low. it's only to help me not to hurt my body cuz i'm gonna be a model when i grow up! don't you ppl have a heart at all??? apparently not cuz that's just retarded to make fun of me for following my dream!" and that's ALL you say, then be like, "wanna punch my stomach??? i promise it won't hurt." it's wut i did and it worked just fine!!! noone even cares about it they just say, "do you have your model suit on??? can i punch it again!?" i promise life at school will get a whole lot better! plus, school's almost out, so when you go back to the doctor, say "hey, i wuz talking to some girls on the nsf forums and i wuz wondering if i would be eligible to get a spinecor??? it'd be so cool." if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. i'll be happy to help you. thoughts and prayers, ~*val*~

p.s. i only suggested the whole spinecor thing cuz i want one REALLY bad and i figure nnoone will even notice about a brace, since it's so flexible and everyone will be like, "hey where's your model suit???" and then be like, "i don't need it any more because i think i've kept my body in great shape, and so does my doc!!!"

I have a spinecor brace and i've had it since last november..and to tell u the truth it sux! it takes forever to get on and people think its so easy to move around in because its flexible but really its hard to even walk and pick stuff up off the floor. I'm supposed to get it off in may but i probably wont because im supposed to wear it 20 hours a day but i only wear it like ten..i dont wear it to school anymore because its SUPER noticable under clothes..so basically dont waste your money on a bunch of elastic and velcro..its a rip off

txmarinemom
09-12-2008, 04:41 AM
How big would you get it? I was thinking more on my leg or shoulder.

Um ... to scale, Brad. This is not my first tat.

... The two men were talking about their open heart surgeries and their scars for awhile, when one turns to me and says, 'Don't worry, one day you'll have scar stories too.'. I just started laughing away, turned around and showed them my two scars totalling over 2 feet in length.

My fusion scar length is roughly half the cumulative length of scars from things I actually had FUN doing (well ... right before the "OH, sh**!" part, anyway - LOL!). It just happens to be the longest contiguous scar.

Pam
(battening down for Hurricane Ike tomorrow!)

Qikdraw
09-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Um ... to scale, Brad. This is not my first tat.

How many do you have? :) I have none, and if my wife has her way I never will. lol

My fusion scar length is roughly half the cumulative length of scars from things I actually had FUN doing (well ... right before the "OH, sh**!" part, anyway - LOL!). It just happens to be the longest contiguous scar.

LOL

All my other scars are on my hands. Working 8 years in commercial kitchens and then working finish carpentry kind of banged my hands up a bit. :D

(battening down for Hurricane Ike tomorrow!)

Good luck, and stay safe!

Brad