Amanda's Surgery Novella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amanda's Surgery Novella

Amanda is doing fine. Here's some details (or as some like to call it "TMI*"):

5/21 surgery began at 8 a.m. she was out at 1:30 p.m (2.5 hrs early). The doctor fused a
    level higher and lower than expected due to small vertebrae vs. screw size (you'll be
    amazed when I send the pictures!--as soon as I scan them in). She is fused T4-L1. It was
    a posterior fusion, 2 rods, and screws at every level. There was no spinal cord damage of
    any kind. It was a 100% correction. Therefore, she went from a 50° right thoracic curve
    (plus a small left curve in upper lumbar too) to a 0° curve. The first afternoon and
    night were fitful and it was a battle between fever (103° at one point), oxygen
    saturation (one lung was a little collapsed - atlectasis - she was only breathing to the
    250 mark on the "inspirometer?" or whatever you call it). This continued with Mom alert
    and by her side all night until...

5/22 when she started her PCA with dilaudid + basal level too at 7 a.m. please excuse my
    spelling I am too tired to look it up. In addition, valium and vicodin (colace too). Then
    her pain was controlled (BIG RELIEF) and then it was fever spikes, low saturations,
    respiratory treatments, breathing exercises....(they gave her valium which helped A LOT
    with pain and spasms, colace, and she was able to push the PCA in her sleep although she
    only slept for 1/2-hour periods that day. Her goal was to get up one time and she did
    that PLUS 7 sidesteps (she's the fusion poster child!) We got one smile out of her that
    day in the PICU. Late evening we were moved to Peds floor. It was again about breathing
    and pain, a little bit of fever and spikes in resp. rate when the pain got above a 6.5 on
    the Panda Pain Scale. Tummy painful and distended. Oh, early morning x-ray this day
    almost killed her (in her words).

5/23 - we continued breathing, resp therapy every 4 hours, sats getting better, catheter
    out overnight, went pee (and walked there) 2x, cont'd colace, pain control with
    PCA/dilaudid (vicodin/Lortab and valium too), she started to fret over the poop looming
    in the future and still hasn't eaten. Tummy more painful and quite round. Can blow the
    inspirometer thingie to 1250 now. Got hotel room at the encouragement of Dr. Van Meurs
    (yes, you were right!!! thank you).

5/24 - Saturday, went pee on own all day, got up 7 times, overdid it some and felt VERY
    PAINFUL that evening (bad timing cuz PCA was removed that a.m.) horrible night nurse
    would not give the intermittent (between the valium, Lortab) dilaudid -- I was a wreck
    and she was a wreck at one point resp. rate peaking at 135 bpm. She pooped overnight
    (thank the Poop Gods!!) Can blow the inspirometer and hold it in the smile face zone for
    a good period. I have some pointers for Mom's and obtaining pain control from now on.
    Sleeps 1-2 hrs. at a time. I think we get three smiles out of her this day.

5/25 Sunday, pooped 2x (poop is a BIG DEAL), resp. good, off resp. treatments finally,
    spoke with PA and got the Lortab every 3 hours instead of 4 and dilaudid all day as
    needed she was apologetic about the anti-narc nurse. Plus colace and valium. PAIN RELIEF
    AT LAST AGAIN....thank the pharmaceutical Gods!! Our lives have become about the small
    things like: pillows, medication, poop, pee, cat naps for parents, ice chips, can she eat
    half a gummy bear? and that kinda thing....she walked the unit's loop once.

5/26 - Memorial Day, x-ray in the a.m., preparing to go home. She is happy to see Paul
    Michael who is visiting after a week of vacation. She ate oatmeal (finally) We got home
    at 2 p.m. We've been up all night -- she sleeps about 2 hours at a time. She needs
    constant position changes. She is already "bored"....yikes, poor me...my back, neck and
    shoulders are pretty sore as she weighs 92 pounds...Oh, she had a dressing change and a
    shower and now gets one every other day (lucky Mom, again) she hates the removing of the
    invisible transderm tape or whatever it is. She walked the unit's loop 2x.

5/27--Oh, by they way she is 5 foot 2.5 inches now. She gained 1.5 inches from the
    surgery....we see "eye-to-eye" now (you know that won't last!). Her back is GORGEOUS. It
    is perfect and there is NO rib hump. Dr. Lincoln is a wonderful surgeon and so great with
    the family (i.e., me). Except for the nurse from hell and our re-enactments from "Night
    of the Living Dead" we are coping. She's on Meds now every 3 hours at home....I keep
    setting the timer. Her friends left a big "welcome home" banner and a Fun Songs for
    Amanda CD. She got flowers, balloons, visitors including her "brace mentor" Laura who had
    a double-curve 60 degrees corrected by the same surgical team 5 years ago (that was
    really nice for both of them). Someone is bringing us dinner all week and we have
    staggered visitors for her in the afternoons. I am less anxious but really tired. Oh, I
    had her laughing in the middle of the night when I cured her hiccups by blowing a bubble
    gum bubble onto her nose (ya had to be there). Okay, tired but up hill from here.

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement, tips, and prayers.

*TMI=Too Much Information

P.S. Prognosis is: no restrictions, she may lose 0.7 cm of growth overall when all growing is said and done.

OMG!!! wow, wut an experience!

hello! sounds like amanda had quite an experience with the surgery. boy, God was REALLY with her through that time huh?! i'll be praying for her quick and speedy recovery! thoughts and prayers, ~*val*~

p.s. let amanda know that she'll be in my prayers. i pray every day and nite and before i eat a meal! i was saved at the age of 6 and was baptized at the age of 7 in september. the day after my baptism, i got a cold and it sucked.
    Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
    I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
    My curves were 30 and 31
    I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
    I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
    I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
    I want to meet some new people on this forum!
    Don't be shy...
    Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Congratulations for getting through surgery and getting home!

It's always interesting to see how different the protocols are at each hospital and with each doctor.

Can I ask why they felt the need to do films on the 22nd and the 26th? Was one to check her lungs and one to check her spine?

sharon
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks Everyone

Yes, they checked the slightly collapsed left lung first (atelectasis I think it is called); and then lungs + instrumentation on the 2nd. They also filmed throughout surgery and before. She does have increased radiation exposure vs. normal folk.

Comment

Congratulations. Both you and Amanda have been through a lot. The end result and the joy of such a wonderful correction have been worth all the pain.
          You have done a wonderful job and Amanda has been really great. Thank you for sharing with us.

Comment

Amanda's Surgery Novella

To all of you who are awaiting surgery....I wrote this during the week of surgery and before I had slept a whole night....it's a bit stressed sounding BUT...I think the best thing you can do for yourself while your child is in the hospital and the first week home is...get some relief shifts from husband, mom, friends, church folks, others in the community..whomever you can....by day 3 of no sleep I was of no help to Amanda and I DID NOT want to leave her side....however, I did and I was better able to care for her....anyhow....hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
            X