Go Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Time

Well, my surgery is on Tuesday morning and I think I'm ready to go. My bag is packed (I'm sure I packed too much), my house is in order, meals are prepared, etc. I'm bored now as I don't have much to do.

I received the authorization notification for my surgery this morning from my insurance company and was surprised what was on the list of things that were planning on being done as I have never heard of some of them:
    Laminotomy w/ decompress nerve root, one interspace, lumbar and other tissue grafts, laminectomy facetectomy, and foraminotomy lumbar

I guess there's a lot more that goes on than I realize or it's just fancy medical jargon.

I did have some questions: Did you bring your purse with you to the hospital or just a wallet with identification? What do you do for the hour and a half before the scheduled surgery? I really want to be drugged as soon as I step in the building so I don't start crying a lot.
    Will someone notify my family as to how the procedure is going?

Thanks,

Shell
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Sorry you're bored... but you've got some things you're doing tomorrow and Monday, right?

I didn't get anything like that from my insurance company... so that's interesting.

I didn't take a purse-- just had my ID and insurance card, and then my husband took those after I was done with them. Let's see if I remember much about that morning... you check-in, then they take you back and do some vitals and stuff like that, changed into a hospital gown and put on surgical stockings (and they had a bag for you to put your shoes and clothes in, and my husband got that), went to the bathroom "one last time", and after a little while, I said a final good-bye to hubby somewhere during all this, and then I went to a big pre-op room with many beds in it, and one of those beds became "mine"--- the anesthesiologist came and talked to me and probably started something, and then the neurologist (?) came and talked and put little electrode things all over me. They both explained things very carefully so I would understand what they were doing, but I don't remember now! I do remember being asked questions, but right now don't remember what they were. But I think some were who I was, what surgery I was having, when my birthday was, and stuff like that. Right about at this point I don't remember much of anything-- little flashes of memory every once in awhile. Sometimes I think some of those flashes I mix up with the time I had surgery when I was 20 and in the OR... so it's all kind of a confused jumble of sorts. The only time I felt weepy (and didn't actually cry--or I don't think I did) was when I said good-bye to my hubby. The rest of it-- I felt like maybe I'd forget to do something right (putting clothes in bag), get lost going to the bathroom (I did, but it was ok!!! someone just showed me the way back), and was a little nervous, but also felt the Lord was with me and it was alright. You'll do fine, Shell. Try to remember so you can share better than I can!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

you're not alone...

My son will have his surgery on Tuesday as well.... They had rescheduled it as of Thursday due to a abnormal coagulation lab. I finally got in touch with the Dr by email this am and he said surgery was still on go for Tuesday and that they would just have platelets on hand and use a drug called Amicar for aid in clotting (which scares me to death)... I wish they would drug both my son and myself when we walk through the doors of the hospital...I hope to see you on the forum in a couple of weeks or so, doing really well and that we can swap "How fast we're healing stories" Good Luck! I will remember you in prayer along with my son.

Comment

Originally posted by briarrose
        I did have some questions: Did you bring your purse with you to the hospital or just a wallet with identification? What do you do for the hour and a half before the scheduled surgery? I really want to be drugged as soon as I step in the building so I don't start crying a lot.
        Will someone notify my family as to how the procedure is going?

Shell, honestly, I brought my purse and never needed it.

The time between arrival and surgery will pass so quickly you'll never look back and think "That felt like an hour and a half.".

There are attendants (volunteers) at most hospitals in the surgical waiting rooms who will either call your family (ask them), or take calls from your family and give out info as you've approved.

Hang in there, babe. You're almost there.

Regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Good luck to you

you will be in my prayers.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Best of luck, Shell!!

Take your purse to the hospital, then give it to whoever's with you as you're getting prepped for the big event. I was very weepy before surgery -- they're used to that!!!
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks for the responses and encouragement everyone! I just can't believe this is happening in 2 days. It doesn't seem real at all. I hate crying in front of people and I don't want to make a scene. Did you speak to your surgeon before the surgery?
              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
              2003- 33 degrees
              2005- 37 degrees
              2006- 44 degrees
              May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
              Fused T1 to L2

Comment

I must be really weird...I never had a moments worry or panic. I was so excited I could hardly wait!
                I actually only had a short wait before they took me back to pre-op. I had to say my goodbyes before I left the waiting area. Not a single tear was shed by me, but I know it was very hard on my girls. They were there with their dad but I know it was still very difficult for them to let me just walk away from them. My oldest was terrified I wouldn't return. The hospital made a point of calling my girls(the ex wasn't allowed to have that info as far as I was concerned.) a few times with updates. I gave my ID to my girls and the hospital gave them my bag of clothes.

Pre op went too slow for me...again I couldn't wait! I think I was the only one back there that wasn't nervous. I think it made the hospital staff nervous because I was so chipper! They still made me take the drugs for the nervousness though. Lots of prep work goes on back there, everyone and his brother comes by to make sure you are really you and which surgery you are having. Leads are attached and lovely compression socks go on your legs. IV's are started and the surgeon comes and talks to you. Lucky me I got Luigi too! He's the adorable PA and just too fun to mess with.

The next thing I knew after talking to my surgeon was waking up in recovery then I don't remember being moved to my room, but I do remember seeing my family. And wanting lots and lots of ice chips! I couldn't get enough. Then when Luigi and Dr Ganocy came in to check on me I cried when I saw I had a flat tummy because I was "de-smooshed".

It's going to be great. Really it is.
                Alicia
                Geish
                47 years old, dx at 13
                +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
                Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
                http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
                http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

You're going to do fine, Shell!

Like Geish, I was SO excited the morning of surgery - and relieved the waiting was almost over! (plus, I was really, *really* tired of maniacal pre-op preparations! ;-)

(I did have a nagging feeling I'd forgotten to do/buy something I was going to REALLY need at the house - LOL - but by then, I'd kinda said "Screw it. If I did, someone can do/buy it for me later!".)

The pre-op for me passed pretty quickly: As soon as I arrived at the hospital, the nursing station directed me down to a private room to put on a gown and my pretty paper party hat ;-). I'd requested a private room, and I vividly recall looking at the room (apparently last decorated in the 70's sometime) and thinking "Please tell me this is not MY room!" ... (it wasn't).

My Mom and brother were running about 10 minutes behind me because they'd had to park (I just jumped out at the hospital entrance), and by the time they found me, a nurse was already there asking all the typical pre-op questions.

We could NOT stop laughing because she tried in vain for maybe 20 minutes to get a viable pregnancy test (she swore she only needed 4 drops - and of COURSE I'd just gone before she walked in ;-). I managed to get her 4 drops (and not one drop more!), but the test was inconclusive. I'd already told her I had my tubes tied 18 years prior (at 21) to no avail. I vaguely remember my Mom inhaling a sharp breath when I told her "Come ON. Last I recall, you actually need to have like, um, SEX for that to happen, right?".

She moved on to the next phase of her questions.

It seems like maybe only 10 minutes later before they were wheeling me down the hall towards the operatories. I got the giggles *again* because here were all these identically dressed patients (on identical beds) staggered along the hall like the starting line of a race.

Anesthesiology came by and got my IV started and asked a few questions. Hanson's P.A. (John) also came by, a surgical nurse stopped by to verify the basic stuff (like I was the right person, having the right surgery ... details, details!), as did one of the residents who'd be assisting (I think she is the whole who took quite a few of my surgery photos).

I saw some guy in scrubs walking around holding these metal "L" shaped things and I asked him "Hey! Are those rod benders?". He came over with a funny look and said "How do you know that? No one's ever asked that!" (little did he know I'd already seen several posterior surgeries on the Internet - heh). I replied "I think they're for me!", and he said (pointing out the room I was parked by) "Well, that's where you're going, then" ...

(... the point of all this is there are sooooo many people running around, talking to you, asking you questions, etc., you really don't have time to be worried. They know people are likely to be nervous, and they deliberately talk and joke to keep you occupied, I think ;-)

It wasn't long before Hanson stopped by. He wiggled his eyebrows at me, smiled and asked "How ya doin'?". We discussed a few things (mainly "Is my Vancomycin in there?" and I reminded him "no dissolvable stitches"), and he told me after more consideration, he *really* wanted to take up to T4 (I was originally slated for T5-L1).

(This was only partly to prevent decompensation: My main issue was pain - and a lot of that was neck pain *above* the curve. He thought we'd have a better chance addressing my neck issues - two 3mm disc protrusions at C5/C6 - C6/C7 - if he went that extra level.)

I said "Yah, whatever. T4, T5 ... what's the difference, really?". Now if he'd told me L2 vs. L1, I really think I'd have backed out. I also don't think he would have dropped that on me the morning of surgery (he knew how crazy concerned I was with losing flexibility).

After laughingly asking me if I'd completed my list(s), he patted my arm and said "Okay, then ... they'll get you set up in a few, and it'll be over before you know it. I don't anticipate anything out of the ordinary, and you're going to be fine!".

All this seemed to pass so quickly I'd guess it was 20-30 minutes, but from what others told me, surgery didn't actually begin (but I had to be positioned, scrubbed, intubated, etc. - all things they did after they knocked me out) until about 1 to 1-1/2 hours after they took me from the room.

I did have one split second as they wheeled me down to the "starting line" where the magnitude of what was about to happen - but more so, the unknown of how I'd be afterwards - hit me. I'd liken it in duration and feeling to your tummy dropping on a roller coaster. It came quickly and passed quickly.

Next thing I remembered was waking up (in no real pain to speak of, BTW) in MY private room. I was only in PACU for a very short period (less than an hour), and remember none of it. My Mom said something about my daughter, Larra, and I never even knew she'd been there. Afterwards, Larra told me in that tone only 18 year olds can manage, "Mommmmm, you were talking to me and even laughing at my jokes!". Yeah, well ... sorry, kiddo. Mommy was apparently pretty stoned! ;-)

(Now THIS is making me laugh as I remember someone posting here how the nurses woke them up post-op by loudly saying "Mom!" - hehe ... a dirty trick, but effective!)

Trust your surgeon, Shell ... you're going to do great. Sending lots of good thoughts your way, and looking forward to seeing you post from the other side!

Best regards,
                  Pam
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

loves to skate

Hi Shell,
                    Considering how nervous I was weeks before my surgery, I was at total peace the day of surgery. I know God was with me and I had a great surgeon. I can't add much to what everyone else has said. At the Baptist, they have a nurse liason checking in with the family about how you are doing in surgery. The time getting you ready for the surgery will pass very quickly, and the nurses and Dr.s are very kind and gentle, and I bet you won't even cry. God Bless, and I will be praying for you. Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Really, Shell, I too was way more excited than anxious during the pre-op preparations. It was kind of an exhilarating feeling. And I really felt at peace with it all, and knew the Lord was there with me. As someone said, the time goes by fairly quickly... you'll be fine. Other than the split-second when I said good-bye to my husband, I never felt like crying. It was more like anticipation of Christmas as a kid, and wondering how it would go...

My surgeon's regular nurse updated my husband about half way through the surgery with how it was going and how far they were, and then the surgeon called and talked to him after it was all over. You can double check on them notifying your husband when you get there Tuesday morning, but there should be no problem. Big hugs, Susie
                      Last edited by Susie*Bee; 05-25-2008, 02:53 PM.
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Shell,
                        Just wanted to send you thoughts, prayers and lots of hugs. This time next week we'll be hearing about how great you're doing!
                        Connie
                        57 yr. old female

50 degree and 73 degree curves
                        90 degree rotation

Comment

Originally posted by briarrose
                          Thanks for the responses and encouragement everyone! I just can't believe this is happening in 2 days. It doesn't seem real at all. I hate crying in front of people and I don't want to make a scene.
                          Shell, you are going to do great! And don't worry about getting emotional or weepy - I expect that's pretty common after weeks or months of anticipation then the final *big* day is here...no one will think any less of you, it's just the emotion of it all working it's way out.

Good job on all the work you did - now it's time for the doctor to do his. I'll be praying for you for a quick recovery.

Isn't it wonderful we can even get our backs fixed?? I constantly think about the fact that scoliosis surgery has come so far in the last 30 years....and we are going to be better than ever because of it.

Happy Surgery!
                          Susan
                          XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Take It One Day At A Time

Shell, you will be just fine. I too received that authorization from the insurance company and was shocked at all the many procedures were included in my spinal fusion and laminectomy. The night before surgery I was up until 2AM trying to "not forget to do anything" and making sure everything was completed for my mom/son especially the contact list and making sure I didn't forget to pay any bills. I had to be at the hospital at 5:30. I checked in with the nurses station at 5:30, then had about a 20 minute wait in the waiting room. I was then taken back to the pre-surgical center which was a private room where I was given the hospital gown, put my clothes in the plastic bag etc.

My main "issue" was in trying to get the IV's set up and that was drama of about another 20 minutes. I met with my surgeon, his assistant and the anestesiologist and after about a total of 1.5 hours and saying goodbye to my mom again, the last thing I remembered was the anestesilogist saying I'll be right back and I woke up in the recovery room.

I'll be praying for you on Tuesday and look forward to your victory reports.

Take Care,

LJ

Comment

This forum has been amazing. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share their stories. They were all very comforting. I cried a lot last night, but I'm feeling ok this morning except that I have a sore throat! Does that mean I won't be able to have the surgery? I haven't been sick at all for a year and 3 months and of course today I have a sore throat.

One more question- Did you wear any make-up or bring make-up to the hospital? I'm assuming not, but it's hard for me to be seen in public without my face on. Haha

Thanks again for all of the thoughts and prayers.

Shell
                              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                              2003- 33 degrees
                              2005- 37 degrees
                              2006- 44 degrees
                              May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                              Fused T1 to L2

Comment