Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyperkyphosis vs. Lordosis...same or different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyperkyphosis vs. Lordosis...same or different?

Can someone please tell me if Hyperkyphosis is the same as Lordosis in the thoracic spine?

To my understanding, Lordosis in the thoracic region is when the spine sways INTO the chest cavity, and kyphosis is when it sways the opposite way (away from the chest cavity), causing a visible hump or hunchback look. One surgeon referred to my daughter's "swaying into the chest cavity" of her thoracic spine as Hyperkyphosis, & another called it Lordosis. Which is which & are they different or the same??

Thanks in advance!
    Martha
    Mother of Laura, Age 19
    Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
    Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
    Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
    Fused T2-L2
    Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
    Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
    Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
    OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

I would think that "hyperkyphosis" would be an exaggeration of the natural kyphotic curve of the spine, which curves away from the chest cavity... but I'm no doctor- maybe your surgeon was just using the term casually to describe your daughter or maybe he said hyPOkyphosis and you didn't hear him right. Either way, it doesn't really matter if they are both referring to the same deformity just using different words... a bit frustrating but I'm sure they know what they are talking about if they are specializing in scoliosis or kyphosis type deformities,

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Comment

hypokyphosis

Hi,

The thoracic spine is supposed to have a gentle outward curve viewed from the side (away from the chest cavity). This is a normal thoracic kyphosis. If there is not enough curve, i.e. the thoracic vertebrae are very straight up and down, that is referred to as thoracic hypokyphosis. This is apparently very common in scoliosis patients... I have it and so does my daughter. Thoracic lordosis is if the natural outward curve is actually reversed, curving into the chest cavity. This can reduce lung capacity as well as putting added stress on the spine.

Hyperkyphosis is basically the opposite of thoracic lordosis--think hunched over or humpback. You can search Google Images for x-ray examples and diagrams of these various terms. I had to do this recently to understand my daughter's back.

I am sure your daughter's surgeon can clarify this for you.

Good luck,

Gayle
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi Martha...

This should help:

Kyphosis/Lordosis Drawing

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you Linda, Gayle, & Abbie!
          Martha
          Mother of Laura, Age 19
          Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
          Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
          Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
          Fused T2-L2
          Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
          Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
          Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
          OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Working...
          X