Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre- and post-op nutrition

hi, all:

i have all my pre-op appointments set up; as a result, (and at the dr.'s direction) i'm taking a mulitivitamin daily and two iron tablets daily. what are/did the rest of you do in terms of nutrition before surgery?

also, a friend of mine had a gastric by-pass last fall (now that's ghastly) and her doctor put her on a high-protein liquid diet at first and high-protein maintenance diet later to facilitate healing. does that sound familiar to anyone?

i had my second epidural cortisone injection today so i can feel well enough to get in shape for surgery and enjoy the summer with my family...those injections have helped me quite a bit for those of you who are considering them. they buy a little comfort...

anyway, i'll look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on nutrition...

thanks!
    Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
    T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
    Fused T3 - S1
    Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
    Dr. Robert G. Viere
    North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Sue,

Would you like to explain why U think gastric by pass is GHASTLY ?
    Just courious...maybe you need to read more infor abut the subject before commenting on it.
    It is difficult the first few weeks after surgery to eat anything..staying on high protein drinks, fruits and basically anything that agrees with my belly is all good......your body will tell you what it can or can not eat..as U get stronger U will eat more......since I had a gastic by pass surgery in nov 2000..I am only able to eat small meals at a time, so the drinks are better.
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

Comment

hi, connie...

i should have been more specific...my friend's experience was ghastly; infection, embolism, pneumonia, re-hospitalizations, etc. the complications seemed never-ending for awhile and were all very serious; it seemed like everything that could go wrong did go wrong. she's fine, now, and she thought i should do the high protein thing but i wanted to hear what those who had fusion surgeries had done....
      Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
      T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
      Fused T3 - S1
      Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
      Dr. Robert G. Viere
      North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

Hi Sue...

You should check with your doctor's office, but I believe most surgeons would tell you to eat a good, balanced diet.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Sue,

Yes , that can happen..more than expected..I feel for your friend, as I also had major complication after

gastric surgery..she will lose weight tho but would have payed the price.
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004
          Pulmonary Embolism