Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple questions

Hello everyone,

I have just a few simple questions. After surgery, I was freezing all the time! I had my thermostat set at 77 degrees in the house and was wondering if it was just me?

Also, The area around the scar on my back is numb. No feeling for approx 2 inches, beyond the 2 inches it feels like sunburn out to about 4 inches. This is not a problem however, I have the sunburn feeling around my hips on my beltline. It has improved some, Im wondering when the sunburn feeling will diminish?

Thx
    Ed

T2-Pelvis A/P 01/29/08,01/31/08 with the frankenstein bolts!
    49 yrs old
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Hi Ed,

Yes, I was cold a lot. Showers were a particular ordeal because I hated being wet and cold at the same time....

At 11 months post-op, I still have numb areas that are coming back to life along both my posterior and anterior incisions. I'd rather they'd stayed numb actually, but they tell me it's a good sign as the nerves heal. I still have that sunburned feeling here and there, too. It takes a long time for nerves to come back....a year or more.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I don't have the sunburned feeling, but I am numb all the way out to the sides of my legs on my upper thighs and hip area. Also numb out about 4 inches on each side of the incision, more so in the lumbar area than the thoracic area. For a while I was even a bit numb on the front of my rib cage but that seems to have gone away.

I had hot and cold flashes for the first few months. I still get cold easily but my internal thermostat seems to have gotten itself back under control. I don't have to worry about overheating just because the house is at 68!
      Geish
      47 years old, dx at 13
      +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
      Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
      http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

I don't have that sunburned feeling either, and am still numb on either side of the incision site also, but I think I'm actually beginning to have more feeling than I did. Judging from an older, totally unrelated surgery I had, sometimes it can take a really long time to get your feeling back...

I tend to get hot more than cold, although sometimes my hands and feet are freezing. I am sure I would absolutely roast with a temp of 77º in the house. My internal temp regulator is probably pretty much back to normal-- it's always been out of kilter some anyway. I usually have a nice hot cup of tea in the late afternoon if I'm cold-- or sometimes an Italian ice if I'm hot. That helps!

I meant to post on your other thread how nice it was to explain all about your adventures. You've had a pretty exciting time of it!
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I don't have the sunburn feeling either. I just barely had surgery though so I am still numb down the center of my back, probably about two inches on both sides, and I am numb on my left hip.

I am always very cold but after my surgery I was hot all of the time. I was actually freezing everyone else out of my room. That lasted about 5 weeks and then I went back to how I normally am.
          Jamie Age 29
          Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
          2008 Curves - 39/63/44
          Surgery Date - 3/25/08
          T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed
            Hello everyone,

I have just a few simple questions. After surgery, I was freezing all the time! I had my thermostat set at 77 degrees in the house and was wondering if it was just me?

Also, The area around the scar on my back is numb. No feeling for approx 2 inches, beyond the 2 inches it feels like sunburn out to about 4 inches. This is not a problem however, I have the sunburn feeling around my hips on my beltline. It has improved some, Im wondering when the sunburn feeling will diminish?
            I was cold too - and kept an electric blanket on the side of my king-sized bed for months after surgery. That was in between the down comforter and the quilt - LOL. I live in an OLD duplex (off the ground, no central heat), and first thing every morning, I'd slip out of bed, turn the floor gas valve with my toe, and bend over juuuuuuust enough to spark the pilot light and get it going. Then I'd jump back under the covers until the temperature warmed up.

(... and I'm in Houston ... I can't even imagine a REAL winter!)

I can't say when the numbness/sunburned feeling goes away from the severed nerves. My phantom itching is MUCH better since I started the Gabapentin, but some days it still drives me nuts. I still have numbness on a scar from knee surgery in '92, so I'm inclined to believe it'll never *completely* go away on my back.
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

I was so cold my skin hurt, sort of a prickly cold all over. Showering wasn't pleasant because I couldn't get warm no matter how long I stayed in and then like Singer said, you were cold and wet.

At night it was the opposite, I sweat so much I had to get up and change 4-5 times a night.

I think it is weakness from such a trauma to your body. It goes after a few weeks.

The numbness is normal for any surgery. I had a previous surgery as well with numbness and it took years before it felt close to normal again.

Patience and time.
              CarolS
              68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
              Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
              Osteotomy March 20,2008
              Thrilled with results!

Comment

loves to skate

Hi Ed,
                I was freezing for at least 4 months after surgery. I also woke up at night in a sweat for the first 2 or 3 months. I still get cold in the evenings as we have been having a very cold month of May here in Massachusetts. I could use some 80 to 90° weather right about now. I have no numbness near my posterior incision but have numbness on one side of the anterior incision site for about 2" out. No sunburned sensation though. The phantom itching is making me crazy in the evenings along with pain in my legs where it was numb before my surgery. The gabapentin helps somewhat. Maybe I need a higher dose. It did cure my restless leg syndrome though which is a blessing.
                Take care, Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                X