Amanda has been in surgery 1.5 hours now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amanda has been in surgery 1.5 hours now

Amanda is in surgery now. The nurses were great and Dr. Lincoln was great. My silly kid sang "I'm so hungry I'm gonna die' for about 20 minutes straight before she went in--that was macabre....she then told the doctor that if she died she would sue for 4 million dollars.....I hope Dr. Lincoln didn't take that the wrong way.....She's just trying to control outcomes. I am scared to eat in case I barf. My mom is here, my husband, my aunt....I broke down in tears after she was wheeled away. I put everyone on notice that she's the most loved girl ever on the planet. Anyhow, I"ll update you later. Wish us luck!!!

My prayers are with Amanda!! I'm sure she'll be fine and that they will take excellent care of your precious daughter.

A mom on another forum posted about the day of surgery - that it seems like the shortest day for the patient but the longest day for the parents.

Hang in there and please keep us posted.

Hugs,
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

It sounds like things are going fairly well! At least she was showing her sense of humor (sort of?) with the singing and suing ...

Yes, Amanda (and you!) are in my thoughts and prayers. You'll get through this ok-- and you'll both be so much stronger for it! Glad you have family with you for support.

Hang in there-- it'll be over soon, and then it's much easier -- but not easy, by any means. There's a lot of work ahead, but the apprehension will be behind you.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I hope everything is going well for your daughter, I'm sure everything is. Yeah, my parents told me I said some pretty ridiculous stuff before surgery (And after, lol, while on the morphine. That was interesting...). I know that today must have been the hardest day for you, your daughter, and everyone else in your family but just think that it will all be over soon and your daughter will be on the way to recovery. These next few weeks will be tough, but soon she will start to feel really good again. For my parents, especially my mom, this was the hardest thing they've ever had to go through with me and I completely understand that. No one wants to see their child go through something like this. But like I said, it'll all be over before you know it and life will return to normal. Anyway, I wish your daughter the best of luck for her recovery and I hope she gets amazing correction!! I'll be thinking of you all!

lol and I'm probably the youngest person to post in this thread...
        Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Just a few more hours until she is out and awake.

And then that part will be over. Then the next part. Then the next.

It's less than two months since my daughter's surgery but those days in the hospital seem like a million years ago. You will be past this before you realize it.

Best wishes,
          sharon
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Amanda sounds like such a terrific, cute little girl. This day will be over before long. I'm sure she'll bounce back before the week is out and she'll have a beautiful back to show for it. Just remember, Amanda is medicated and you're not. So hang in there.

Comment

Hang in there, Mom ...

I'm 39, and my Mom felt exactly the same way when they wheeled me away to surgery this February.

Amanda's in good hands, and it won't be long before you'll see her. Best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery, as well.

Y'all are in my thoughts!

Hugs,
              Pam
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Good quote!

Originally posted by Wishing
                Just remember, Amanda is medicated and you're not. So hang in there.
                Hey Wishing,

LOL - Now that's an excellent statement!

My best wishes to Amanda for a speedy recovery.
                ca-native (daughter had surgery)

Comment

Originally posted by Wishing
                  Just remember, Amanda is medicated and you're not.
                  I just love this line. Don't know why. Just do.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hope all goes well. Thinking of you all.

Ruth
                    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

so Sorry to keep you waiting....yikes

Okay, she's out. She's fine. Sorry my Mom took the computer with her and I had oleave you all hanging. I am at a hotel near the hospital with no sleep for two days......I have pan seared scallops and lava cake coming withn 40 minutes or less.....had to have room service.

There are tons of details and I am typing on a cheesy hotel TV internet keyboard. BOTTOM LINE: Dr. Lincoln is a miracle worker. In at 8 a.m. out at 1:30 p.m. 100% correction turned out to be T4-L1 but the rib hump is totally gone......she looks great. I was up advocating pain reliief fo her all night. Morphome doesn't touch it and the interthecal was not enough valium helped but she was distressed. So it was keep oxygen up (her lung are a little too juidcy) keep her fever down, keep the pain down, do the resp therapy and exerciss every hour....I got no sleep. but there is a spinal fusion god...the PCA with dlaudid(or whatever) sorry for typos this keybpoard is bad.....arrived at 7a.m. and she's been good today. She got up, she walked 7 steps tothe left wit a walker.....AND.....I got to peek at her back, it is gorgeous! I am just amazed but SO"OOoooo tired. I'll write more when I can. Love to you all your tips have already paid off for her BIG TIME....thank you so so much.

Comment

Congratulations. This is wonderful news. God bless you both.
                        Rita

Comment

That's great!

Onward and upward.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Congratulations on a successful and uncomplicated surgery. You are now "on the other side"! Hope everything goes just as well with the recovery.

Renee

Comment

Wonderful news. Very happy to hear she's already been up and walking. That will help clear her juicy lungs more than anything. Good luck keeping the pain management under control. That's most important.

Remember, too, that her spine may *settle* in a few months and may re-develop some curve, which is normal and natural. As long as she's good and balanced, she'll be fine. Sometimes parents (and patients) think that if they have slight curves after surgery, the surgery was not completely successful. Not true.

I'm glad the rib hump is gone. That's great news too. Lots of good things. Many good night sleep vibes coming your way.
                              Carmell
                              mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
                              X