Question about ... Anterior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about ... Anterior

Were you able to roll on the incision side after surgery? I have polio, so i don't have good muscle tone and i favor my left side when i get out of bed, however, in the past couple of days, i am trying to get out of bed by rolling to my right and push myself up ... i struggle and couldn't manage to roll or even push myself up. So now, i am concern, my surgeon say it will be fine, just a bit painful

Please share your experience

Mish, I always log-roll onto the non-incision side. The incision side is still tender.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Log Roll

I am not going to lie and I do not want to scare you but, I could not even think about rolling on that side after surgery. I cried when they had me do it in the hospital. It was the hardest part of my recovery. After I got up once I refused to lay back down because I absolutely could not use the mucles on the left side. I chose to sleep sitting up in a recliner during my hospital stay since it was that intense for me. I can't remember how long it took for me to get thru that but I think it was atleast a month. I know I really struggled even at home. I ended up getting a hospital bed at home and when I wanted to get up I put it straight up and scooted to the edge of the bed. The word log roll hurts just thinking about it. I am sorry I may have been harsh but I wish I would have known what to expect. I had my surgey 2 years ago and my recovery is on here somewhere. I think I may have had a harder time that others so please do not think it has to be that way. Some people are good to go in 2 weeks. It all depends on the person. I know some couldn't sleep on their stomaches and I did just fine with that. But that log roll killed me. Thank God I have no problems with it anymore!!!

just wanted to add i could not roll onto either side

Stephanie
      T11 to L3
      1 Rib Removed
      Anterior / June 5, 2006
      Stephanie
      T11 to L3
      1 rib removed
      June 5, 2006

Comment

It was easier for me to log roll and get up on my left side (the incision side) since day one in the hospital. When I came home my husband and I switched bed sides so I could continue to get up on the left. Keep in mind, my anterior incision is only on the lower, lumbar area. I don't know why my left side is stronger!
        Jan Lotherington,
        56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
        A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
        at age 55
        Dr Bridwell

Comment

I couldn't lay on the side with the incision while in the hospital but once I came home it was fine and log rolling on that side has never been a problem. Never thought of switching sides with my husband, Duh.
          CarolS
          68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
          Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
          Osteotomy March 20,2008
          Thrilled with results!

Comment

Working...
          X