This is Amanda Not Her Mom--Surgery on Wed 5/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Amanda Not Her Mom--Surgery on Wed 5/21

i am so nervous about my surgery on wednesday! i need advice!

Hi Amanda:

Good luck with your surgery. Know that lots of people, including me, are here thinking of you and hoping for the best.

Ruth
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Amanda-- that is so cool that you did your own post! I don't know if this will help you any, but I think absolutely EVERYONE who has this surgery gets nervous!!! Even the grown-ups do. Pretty soon that part will be over with, and you'll be straighter and taller and be getting better and better every day. The nice thing about being younger and having this surgery is that your body bounces back from it MUCH QUICKER than we older people. So, you'll be doing fine after just a little recovery time. You can maybe find on here some posts of kids' surgeries and recoveries and read about their stories. Or I've heard there's a lot of kids who post on Spine Kids. (But I don't know anything about it other than that...) Someone else can share with you about it if you're interested.

Anyway, sweetie, you'll do really well. I'll be praying for you!!! Hugs, Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Amanda,

Your going to be just fine, by tomorrow evening the surgery will be over. Dr. Lincoln was the assisting surgeon with my surgery a year ago, your in great hands. Good Luck, you will be my prayers tomorrow.
        Patty 51 years old
        Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
        Posterior T3- L4
        Pre surgery curves
        T-53degrees
        L-38degrees
        and a severe side shift to the right.
        Post surgery curves
        Less than 10 degrees
        Surgery April, 2006
        C4 - C6

Comment

good luck (:

Hey Amanda,
          I'm Annessa and I'm 15.
          I just had my surgery in February 08 and I'm really glad I had it done! My back is so much straighter and it looks so much better too!

I hope your surgery goes well, I'm sure you'll be fine!

xx
          Mum to Annessa, age 15
          53 degree thoracic curve down to 10 degrees.
          Date of surgery: 7th Feb 2008
          Edinburgh, Sick Kids
          Fused T4 - L1

Comment

Good luck to you. It will all be ok!! Can's wait to hear the follow-up!!!

Comment

thank you

thank you so much ! you guys are so nice to give all those nice replys.

Thank You!

Comment

Amanda, you're going to be fine, hon.

I know it's scary, but when you wake up you'll have all KINDS of people making sure you're comfortable. It's normal to be scared, and we've all been there.

Before you know it, *you'll* be reassuring people.

All you need to do today is take a nice, sweet nap. When you wake up, it'll all be done, and you won't recall a thing about the surgery. Promise.

You're in my thoughts, kiddo. Can't wait to see your Mom post how well you did!

Regards,
                Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

God will be with you!!!

hello amanda! i'm val. i already saw the results on the thread your mom posted. i just wanted to say, that everything WILL be O.K. God will be with you EVERY STEP of the way!!! i will be praying for your qiuck and speedy recovery! thoughts and prayers, ~*val*~
                  Last edited by sparklegirl59; 05-27-2008, 03:41 PM.
                  Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
                  I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
                  My curves were 30 and 31
                  I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
                  I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
                  I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
                  I want to meet some new people on this forum!
                  Don't be shy...
                  Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Vertebral Body Stapling

Hello everyone,my name is monica and i just find out that my son needs surgery on his back because of scoliosis.He is 8 years old and his name is Tyrae.The doctor said that it was to late for an brace.His measurments for his spine behind his rib cage is 26o and under his rib cage is 32o.He has cerebral palsy and i just do not know what to do.He has been through a lot for his age.They said that he would never walk and he did 2 years ago.Please give me some imput.

Comment

Hello

My daughter had surgery 11 days ago. Her curve was 49 degrees. Your son's degrees of curve seem "brace-able" but I know nothing about complicating medical conditions. All I know is my daughter had a right main thoracic curve of 26 at age 6, 33 last Oct, went to 49 8 weeks ago and 40 degrees is where, for her, surgery was to be considered. She wore a brace for over 3 years to maintain the 26 deg curve. I think the best thing to do would be to find a reputable surgeon for a second opinion. I used Dr. Rinsky at Lucile Packard for mine. I wish you luck, it is so hard and scary. We are just now seeing her start to get better. She has had a lot of pain and emotional distress. But, she's coming through and these kids ARE so amazing just like everyone in this forum has stated (although, it sounds to me like there are some pretty remarkable adult patients too). I wish you the best in caring for your sweet child.

Comment

Hi,
                        I am really sorry to hear about your son's recent scoliosis diagnosis. I do not know whether or not your son would be a candidate for Vertebral Body Stapling, but it sounds like something that would be worthwhile looking into. If you would like to learn more, there is an informational website about VBS, including a list of doctors who perform this innovative surgery. The website is www.vertebralstapling.com
                        We also have an on-line forum and you are more than welcome to join ~ lots of supportive parents who have been through VBS or are considering it.
                        I'll keep an eye out for you there.............

~ Cara
                        Cara, Mom to Nathan
                        Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
                        Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
                        VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
                        Dr. Hresko
                        40 Degrees before VBS
                        11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Working...
                        X